DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Minnesota isn't going to do a trade with Cleveland unless Wiggins is on the table, I'd wager.  The idea of giving him up is daunting but it may be what the Cavs have to do.

Cleveland can send them Waiters, Bennett, and their first round pick and the Heat's first round pick that is unprotected in 2017.  That is better than what Golden State or Boston can offer.  They won't have to pay any of those guys anywhere close to what they'll have to pay Klay Thompson and David Lee and they'll basically be a team of prospects.  The only way Minnesota will ever be a decent team is if they do it through the draft.  They'll have two guys who could turn the corner and be decent players and two extra picks over the next couple years.  They'll bottom out and be in the running for the #1 pick for the next few years and that is the best situation they can be in for their future.  Wiggins would be a great piece for the Wolves, but losing Love is inevitable whether they trade him or not.  They need to trade him for the most assets as possible, and even without Wiggins the Cavs have the most to offer at the cheapest price.

Thing is, I imagine Cleveland wants to hold on to that Miami pick.  It could be a good one in 2017, as I imagine Wade will be completely finished and Bosh will be on a backslide.  Waiters would be offered with little hesitation. As for Bennett--I would think they'd try to keep him for another season just to see if he'll come around.

It's a tough call.  Neither choice would be wrong IMO. 

Looking at it from Minnesota's perspective, I just don't think they can do that deal without getting Wiggins.  They've been in a rebuild for seven years now, I don't think there's any way they can trade away their best player from that period for a #1 pick that averaged 4 & 2 his rookie year, an inefficient shooting guard that everyone hates, and some picks.  

Eric Bledsoe apparently wants 5 years and $80M, which is just precious.

I may be reading it wrong, but it looks like the Lakers still have some cap space. Maybe sign Okafor for C?

They could use a backup center and if Okafor's healthy he'd be a good pickup, but they still need a small forward. Oh wait...

Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA 

Free agent guard Xavier Henry is nearing agreement on a 1-year deal to return to the Lakers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

WE GOT A SMALL FORWARD!!!

I like Xavier Henry. He was pretty good when healthy.  If he can remain healthy for at least 60 games, he'll get paid well next summer.

Enough of all this Wiggins/Love talk, I want to talk about WIggins/Canaan!  So my boy Isaiah Canaan pretty much has a golden opportunity in Houston due to Lin getting traded.  I was super happy for him.  Then summer league started and he wasn't playing great.  Then yesterday the Rockets signed Ish Smith.  So before last night the dude was simultaneously slumping AND fighting for the backup role.

Last night he dropped 28 on 16 shots!!!  O yeah, and he sealed the game by doing THIS:

2d58fba79f43cdc196a8a7e061bd5fdf.gif?140

Look at that stare down!

• Like 1

I was talking to my dad about the Wiggins trade today, and he thinks the Cavs should trade Wiggins for Love yesterday. His thinking was people in Cleveland would have been generally happy if they had traded the number one pick for Love, but are now attached to Wiggins for because you see a player not just a trade chip. I think Wiggins will be great, maybe even as soon as this year, but I know that Kevin Love will be. Also, let's be honest: you have to walk before you can run. I don't like my fellow Cavs fans planning a hypothetical three-peat with Wiggins 4 years down the road. I would much prefer getting one. I have lived 30 years without that feeling, I don't want to look back. 

To me, this is much the same as the Cavs refusing to include JJ Hickson in the trade for in his prime Amare in a year where that would have made them clear favorites in the east. I think looking back, every Cavs fan would have wanted the Cavs to pull the trigger, so I think the Cavs should do that now and see where it gets them.  

For sure. There is no doubt about that. If this cost Wiggins then I think Lebron is being very short sighted.

Love is a great stats guy, but he is basically a Boozer/Lee hybrid on defense. I don't understand giving up the defensive talent when you already have Kyrie (and a bunch of shooters who will play for peanuts) to help you on the other end.

There's reason to believe that he's an adequate defender who looks worse than he actually is because he has to compensate for having incredibly bad teammates. He's not a shot blocker, but I'd say he is better than other big men he has played with, such as Al Jefferson and Nikola Pekovic. My impression of watching him is that he can stay in front of his man when he's not rotating to cover for a teammate who blew an assignment, but that he often fails to put a hand in the face of his opponent.

Kevin is not a good defender. He's willing to get a hand in his man's face, but if you go right at him, he'll give up ground pretty damn quick. Pek isn't very good defensively either, but he has a bigger body to bang around with and more of a willingness to do it, too.

And who would fuck with Non?  Exactly.

I think Love could probably be an okay system defender surrounded by better defenders and not being asked to protect the rim.  But Cleveland without Wiggins is going to be fairly dreadful defensively on paper.

Can we all agree that Miami regressed defensively over the last three years?  They were a top 3 defense for a while there and they were damn near unbeatable during that time.  

Maybe it's because I'm a Bulls fan, but the idea of Wiggins/Lebron terrifying opposing guards as they try to bring the ball up the court is just as sexy as the drive and dish potential with Lebron/Love.

• Like 2

It's still a gamble because Love likely wouldn't sign a new deal without LeBron signing one.  What if he doesn't like it there and bolts for the Lakers?  You're left without Wiggins or Love.

This would be a lot easier to do if Love was locked in long-term.

Lebron signed a 2 year deal with an opt out after this coming season and he desperately wants Love. Not that I think he'd leave again but I don't think it's wise to piss him off already. If Lebron wants Kevin Love they're going to get him Kevin Love. Wiggins be damned.

Then again knowing Minnesota they'll probably end up caving and taking some shit sandwich built around Waiters.

Honestly, if they can get Waiters, Bennett, two first round picks (including the Miami one) and maybe a pick swap or similar, it's not a bad deal.  Lets them bottom out with multiple prospects and chips.

Maybe but those picks will likely be at the end of the first round. I just don't see anyway the franchise can trade Love for a package where the best player is Waiters and sell it to their fans as anything other than an incredible failure in nearly a decade full of them. They may as well sell the team and relocate to Seattle or something. Maybe others see something in Waiters that I don't. I followed him closely last year because I ended up adding and dropping him from my fantasy team about 5 or 6 times and he's not particularly good.