DVDVR Message Board

2014 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Oh so Will comes out and starts promising some amnesty and here comes the creative metaphors for Derrick's knees. You're all going on the list and I'll deal with you after I figure out where these FSW Tribute Acts stand.

• Like 1

Oh so Will comes out and starts promising some amnesty and here comes the creative metaphors for Derrick's knees. You're all going on the list and I'll deal with you after I figure out where these FSW Tribute Acts stand.

Don't let the haters get you down.

Y'all are jealous.

Really though, this feels like the year Rose stays healthy. The last two injuries were unexpected, and now everyone thinks he will get hurt again. SO he probably will make it through the season fine. Whether he can return to the previous level of play is a different question. . . 

Ended up posting about NBA on the DIRTHSHEETZ Thread...Oops! My bad! 

Byron Scott press conference had Magic, Kareem and Silk Wilkes in attendance. Should buy him some time w/ the locals.

Byron then mentions "Princeton offense" and we all get flashbacks to Mike Brown....UH-OH!!!

So for all these years David Stern backed the NBA lottery system and said nothing was wrong with it but as soon as they GIVE the Cavs the #1 pick.....NOW THEY WANT TO CHANGE IT. They got LeBron back to Cleveland....thats what they wanted. If Cavs dont get the #1 pick...and get the 8th or 9th do we still think LeBron goes home? Wiggins is going to get him Love. But NOW ALL OF THE SUDDEN the lottery doesnt seem fair.

• Like 2

So for all these years David Stern backed the NBA lottery system and said nothing was wrong with it but as soon as they GIVE the Cavs the #1 pick.....NOW THEY WANT TO CHANGE IT. They got LeBron back to Cleveland....thats what they wanted. If Cavs dont get the #1 pick...and get the 8th or 9th do we still think LeBron goes home? Wiggins is going to get him Love. But NOW ALL OF THE SUDDEN the lottery doesnt seem fair.

Cleveland getting the #1 pick was actually showing that there isn't anything wrong with the lottery since it shows that a team with a low chance of winning the lottery can still do it.

And the changes have nothing to do with the fairness of the lottery. It's simply to make tanking less appealing to teams.

• Like 1

Actually, they kinda see that as a problem.

The absolute last thing the NBA wants is teams thinking that they have a decent shot at winning the lottery from the "barely missed the playoffs" ranks, leading to teams that are in the hunt for the 7th or 8th seed tanking.

The plan the NBA pushed kept the odds on the people at the very end still extremely low, while distributing the odds more evenly over the bottom handful of teams.

But the Sixers don't need to win the lottery with this plan.  Another year of picking in the top 3 isn't really going to bother them.

I still think this is a dumb trade for Cleveland if it involves Wiggins.  Kevin Love is no more proven as a winner than Wiggins is.  Love is basically going to Cleveland to be Bosh 2.0, except even worse as a defender.

• Like 1

I still think this is a dumb trade for Cleveland if it involves Wiggins.  Kevin Love is no more proven as a winner than Wiggins is.  Love is basically going to Cleveland to be Bosh 2.0, except even worse as a defender.

I think for a team that doesn't already have a championship, you can't think in terms of hypotheticals, especially with Lebron already 30 and with a ton of miles. Barring a major surprise or catastrophe, Love will be better than Wiggins this year, and if they sign him, probably for at least the next two. Wiggins' greatest strength is going to be his defense on wing players, which is a skill that takes at least a year or two to adjust to an NBA level. I know it's a different position, but look at Anthony Davis. He was one of the greatest college defenders of a generation, and during his rookie year he looked like a deer on rollerskates while trying to defend a pick and roll. I think anyone who thinks that Wiggins was going to come in and be able to guard the best player every night so that Lebron could take it easy was fooling themselves a little bit. I also think that calling Love Bosh 2.0 is underselling him a little bit. By multiple advanced metrics, Love is a top 4 player in the NBA, something Bosh was never close to. Also, many stats point to Love being an average defender, and probably an under appreciated one on one defender (although an admittedly poor help defender, due to him always looking to rebound). I think trading two players with very high ceilings and a draft pick is something I would do every time for a player like Love.