DVDVR Message Board

It's not really Mandarin. It's how they treat most of their villains. They aren't well developed and they don't usually accomplish much. They aren't threats and they're pretty generic. They did a better job with Winter Soldier. He wasn't in the movie a lot but when he showed up you knew everyone was fucked. Ronan wasn't bad..  a little generic but people did fear him. It looks like they will get Thanos right. 

Whether it's Malekith, Killian, Whiplash, the aliens from Avengers.. etc..  there's a lot to be desired. Nobody outside of maybe Loki because he is very entertaining is hitting it out of the park like Heath's Joker or Fassbender's Magneto.

If Hiddleston wasn't so delicious in the part, Loki would be shit, too. All of his master plans are dumb. Really, Joss saved that character. Because, while Hiddleston was good in the first Thor, Joss is the one who gave him license to go full-on preening ham in AVENGERS and become the version of the character that had people in orgasm at Comic Con. Still, he's more entertaining than "strong," per se.

The Winter Soldier is their only really strong villain (caveat: still haven't seen GOTG yet. dammit.). And even then, he's more of a henchman than the main villain in his own damn movie.

Dark Batman makes sense. Dark Superman doesn't so much.

So it wouldn't make sense for the film version of The Dark Knight Returns to be a little.....dark? Give it a rest. This is the Marvel thread anyway.. why are you lot still arguing over DC shit?

It's not an adaptation of Dark Knight Returns. And you don't get to argue about it in te same post where you say, "Why are people arguing here?"

First, we don't really know what the plot is yet and why not? There's nothing logical about this thread. I came in here to post about GotG and it was three more pages of bitching about DC films. If you hate them so much why the hell are you always talking about them? Wouldn't it be easier to just ignore all things DC?

• Like 2

First, we don't really know what the plot is yet and why not? There's nothing logical about this thread. I came in here to post about GotG and it was three more pages of bitching about DC films. If you hate them so much why the hell are you always talking about them? Wouldn't it be easier to just ignore all things DC?

They have outright said "This is not an adaptation of the Dark Knight Returns".

And I don't hate them. i haven't even seen most of them outside of Nolan's. I just think Captain America 3 woulda beat BVS. You let it spin out of control from there. As you still are.

That guard who Star-Lord brained did get over excessive on him with a tazer. Fair is fair.

Star Lord should have taken his issues to HR. Then he wouldn't have gotten fired and had to wrestle as Star Prince.

Yep ... John C. Reilly: Director of Talent Development for TNA.

• Like 3

Wf81xb8.png

This is a trick to get me a timeout, isn't it?

what I'll say about this is basically the very most frustrating thing about ALL of this, is that looking at the COOL THINGS MARVEL IS DOING list there, looks a fuck ton lot like what DC was doing in 2004 before everything went to hell. Awesome family-driven fun hispanic Blue Beetle. Super smart and super fun Manhunter comic where she was a prosecutor. Rucka doing AMAZING things with Wonder Woman. Batwoman debuting in 52. ETC. Batman Begins was just in production in 04 with the guy who did Memento and I don't remember if they announced Singer for Superman yet, but obviously that seemed like an amazing choice after X2. We were in Post Identity Crisis DC so it wasn't all sunshine and giggles or anything, but it was a balance and parts of it were just amazing, especially compared to the decompressed Millar-driven bullshit Marvel was putting out, which was 100% Frank Miller and Watchmen inspired.

That inversion is part of what makes all of this so frustrating.

• Like 1

Time to break up all the angry debating with some Matt Murdock Daredevil set pictures!

Looks like they just filmed young Matt's accident.

spl815661_019.jpg?width=480&quality=0.85

spl815661_013.jpg?width=480&quality=0.85

Someone really needs to get Tony Stewart out of New York, already.

• Like 1

Looks like they just filmed young Matt's accident.

I think we just established in the wrestling note that my accident when I was ten was letting Joe Kelley pile-drive me unprotected on a bed, thinking that it was soft so it wouldn't hurt my head, and not realizing that it was going to jam the hell out of my neck. 

I just got back from seeing Guardians and enjoyed it quite a bit considering I had never heard of the franchise before the advertisements started coming out, and then I assumed it was based on a video game before hearing people discuss it. Like others have said, it did a good job of blending comedy, action, and seriousness but I didn't think it reinvented the wheel in terms of plot or storyline.  That is the mark of a good movie though - it can take an existing formula and still do something creative and entertaining with it that keeps people engaged, regardless of how trope-heavy it might be.  Rocket really stole the movie, imo, and I was pleasantly surprised by Batista's performance.

The secondhand knowledge of comics I have is enough to know that Thanos is an upper tier villain, but he didn't come off as imposing at all here.  He almost seemed like just some high-up political figure or warlord, and not someone with any real power of his own.  Something else I'm unclear about that I'm sure some of you can fill me in on - are the Nova Corp or whatever they're called actually good guys?  I guess I'm so used to the seemingly benevolent sociopolitical collective in most sci-fi/comic movies actually being heels or at least having a corrupt leader and higher-ups (ie. the Alliance in Firefly).

• Like 1

Holy shit that was a blast. Definitely in my top three of Marvel movies. I marked out for Cherry Bomb!

My buddy, who knows next to nothing about comic books, said the movie reminded him of Star Wars, which to me is a huge compliment.

• Like 1

Anybody it doesn't remind of Star Wars hasn't seen Star Wars.

Poor Lee Pace and Christopher Eccleston. Two dudes spent untold hours in the makeup chair to play nothing characters that could've been just as well played by rando character actors in their respective movies.

Whatshername from Doctor Who kinda got jobbed on the makeup chair time to screen time ratio, too, although she had a smidge of a character to play when got screen time and got to live for the sequel.

I mean, he was fine, but I think you could put a hundred different tall guys in that great costume, and they could've done just as well. There wasn't enough meat to the part that you really NEEDED Lee Pace to deliver it.

Chick who played Nebula made the most of her little time. If she had died, she would've been this generation of kids' Boba Fett.