DVDVR Message Board

I can see how this could be an issue in our age of instant gratification but if you uncork Thanos too early and show his true power, it really does invalidate the groundwork you've already acomplished because he'd wipe out any single team thrown at him and we all know that it will take The Avengers, The Guardians, and then some just to slow the Mad Titan down.

I'm good with the idea of "Thanos is so powerful that he doesn't need to directly insert himself into every plan and commands entire races of beings and gods as lackeys," as a show of his ability, but then again I am a comic book nerd that knows Thanos by reputation and am aware of his might.

The ADHD kids of today probably need to see him tear a star in half or something to appreciate his badassery.

Eh, I don't think that any of his points are wrong. I love Thanos, but I thought the character looked pretty silly in GotG, and he's certainly right that so far Thanos hasn't done anything except bring good guy teams together. 

(“Thanos is coming in approximately three to four years! So get ready… eventually!”)

Eh, I don't think that any of his points are wrong. I love Thanos, but I thought the character looked pretty silly in GotG, and he's certainly right that so far Thanos hasn't done anything except bring good guy teams together. 

His presentation was definitely all wrong in GoTG.  Ronan took out The Other right in front of him and Thanos pretty much just threatened Ronan with the usual death is the price of failure line we've heard dozens of times.. 

No real bad guy would've let that sort of disrepect in his house pass without some sort of reprisal.

It'd have been better of Thanos had at least cosmic blasted Ronan out of his boots in pimp slap fashion to humble Ronan.  We needed a small display of power to show that Thanos means business and we didn't really get it.  Audiences not in the know don't have a reason to fear the guy... yet...

I read this the other day. Haven't seen GUARDIANS yet, but Thanos does come off pretty ineffectual for a supreme big bad to this point. He gambled the Mind Gem on Loki to win the Tesseract and ended up with neither, on top of whatever he does that doesn't work in the new movie.

Then again, I think most of Marvel's movie villains have been pretty ineffectual. I think they have WWE's issue where they constantly make the heels look overly weak to put over the faces.

I was giggling like an idiot whenever he was onscreen and I could give or take the character normally.

How often do you think Don Vito Corleone got his own hands dirty?  That's the level Thanos is on.

I have a feel Avengers 2 will be a game changer with regards to that problem. Call it a hunch, but I think Avengers 2 will be like Empire as far as tone goes. RDJ already said that Ultron is the best written villain he's ever seen. I'm guessing that Thanos winds up with some of the stones by the time Avengers 2 is over.

As far as Thanos goes, and even Ronan, I did think they were a little weak. That was the only misstep in GotG. When Thanos appears, it should have had more importance. Or Thanos should have done something to make him look evil. To a lesser extent, the same applies to Ronan.

I was giggling like an idiot whenever he was onscreen and I could give or take the character normally.

How often do you think Don Vito Corleone got his own hands dirty?  That's the level Thanos is on.

Hmm...good point.

Hmm...good point.

Even so, Ronan should've gotten a token horse head in the bed moment where Thanos let him know without a doubt who was running the show.

Those horse aliens that hickman created in FF.

Oh, God, Can we wait until the Power Pack movie before we get an intro to the fucking Kymellians?  I would like to continue to deny that they exist for as long as possible.

Why the fuck haven't they thought of doing Surtur for a Thor movie yet?  That'd be awesome or Thor and Beta Ray Bill to do something that doesn't involve Loki.

• Like 1

We've had a new Marvel film out for nearly a week, and we haven't done LISTS~! yet.

(Probably because our list-maker in chief is dealing with real life and tragedy.  I miss you Natural.)

Now with tiers

Tier 1:  The bad movies

10. The Incredible Hulk

Tier 2: The "meh" movies

9. Iron Man 2

8. Thor

Tier 3: The "eh, it was okay/fairly good" movies

7. Thor: The Dark World

6. Iron Man 3

Tier 4:  The "god damn that was good" movies

5. Iron Man

4. Captain America: The Winter Solider