DVDVR Message Board

Yeah, I'm not sure you're supposed to get credit for cutting things that would've made the movie better.

It was an immensely enjoyable movie, but it was also extremely busy, and I do think another 5-10 minutes would've made some story elements play stronger.

The only real "ugh" moment was when the Collector's servant just comes out of the blue and makes a big play for the stone. The movie didn't earn that at all.

I want a Peter Jackson-ian  3 hour cut now.

They could probably make a shit ton of money on those DVDs.

I would certainly expect an extended cut DVD. May even book the longer version back in the theaters before the dvd comes out.

Yeah, I'm not sure you're supposed to get credit for cutting things that would've made the movie better.

It was an immensely enjoyable movie, but it was also extremely busy, and I do think another 5-10 minutes would've made some story elements play stronger.

The only real "ugh" moment was when the Collector's servant just comes out of the blue and makes a big play for the stone. The movie didn't earn that at all.

A slave, threatened with torture, trying to grab the power to get free isn't earned? I can't agree with that complaint at all.

It has to have been mentioned already, but ... Lloyd Kaufman cameo! That just had to be a "I'll see your Stan Lee cameo and raise you" situation.

Absolutely wonderful film.

James Gunn got his start at Troma (more or less), I would guess its him paying homage to his roots

A slave, threatened with torture, trying to grab the power to get free isn't earned? I can't agree with that complaint at all.

No, it's not earned. We're talking about a 20 second intro scene. She's a nothing character, really more of a plot functionary than a character. She does what she does because...it's time for the scene to end and everyone to be moved along to the next thing. That moment is like something out of a lesser movie. It's a false beat, it skips from A to C. There were several things that could've been better about the movie, but that moment is the one thing that really stuck out as bad storytelling.

• Like 1

It made perfect sense, was set up, and paid off.  Adding 5 or 10 minutes about her wouldn't have changed the moment in any way, because the three scenes she was in told you absolutely everything you needed to know to understand her motivations.  I completely disagree with you on this, it was a very good example of economical storytelling.

It made perfect sense, was set up, and paid off.  Adding 5 or 10 minutes about her wouldn't have changed the moment in any way, because the three scenes she was in told you absolutely everything you needed to know to understand her motivations.  I completely disagree with you on this, it was a very good example of economical storytelling.

We're not going to agree with you on this, but there is no "B" in her story. That's not debatable. It is non-storytelling. You didn't need another 10 minutes on her (dear god, why? the whole movie only needs about 10 more minutes), but if you're going to have someone go from put-upon slave girl to making a grab for one of the most powerful items in the galaxy after just watching the laser light show about how 99% of people can't hold it, you've gotta work a bit harder for it than the movie did.

• Like 1

This coming from someone who thinks we absolutely needed to see ten more minutes of Superman saving people to understand where he's coming from even though he was doing it throughout the entire movie?

Eva is pretty much spot on with that criticism but it's still a very enjoyable movie...  Most movies aren't PERFECT. GotG is 90% great..  no big deal.

I would certainly expect an extended cut DVD. May even book the longer version back in the theaters before the dvd comes out.

I wouldn't hold my breath.  I don't think Marvel Studios has ever released an extended cut on DVD/Blu-ray.  It'd be neat though.  I think the issue is though that a lot of these scenes have unfinished FX, so it would cost more money to finish them and restore them.  Though maybe Disney and Marvel will see money in that later and have them made later. 

So whats some required reading on this Thanos chap then? I was never really into Marvel as a kid, aside from a little X-Men, and despite being the big bad behind 2 films worth of enemies they haven't really done much with him yet. Is he Marvels equivalent of Darkseid, just without a Superman to throw down with, or am i off the mark here?

I wouldn't hold my breath.  I don't think Marvel Studios has ever released an extended cut on DVD/Blu-ray.  It'd be neat though.  I think the issue is though that a lot of these scenes have unfinished FX, so it would cost more money to finish them and restore them.  Though maybe Disney and Marvel will see money in that later and have them made later. 

Yeah I was going to say, I'd love to buy this but I don't remember Marvel ever doing it previously either. The most I can really remember is that scene from Avengers with Cap that got cut. I'm sure there have been other deleted scene extras on some DVDs but I don't think there's ever been anything remotely resembling a director's cut. Which is a shame, aside from the fact that I'd love to see more of that type of content, but also because it adds to the feeling that the Marvel machine wants to keep the creative teams behind these movies relatively faceless (with the obvious exception of Whedon).

I think they have something of a hot commodity now with Gunn though, so here's hoping Guardians (and to an extent Winter Soldier) marks a bit of a turning point in this regard. If they released even an slightly extended cut, let alone anything substantial, it'd be the first new DVD movie purchase I've made since... geez, I think maybe the Wrestler.

This was the first time I've ever noticed individual characters being credited to their specific creators in a comic book movie. Seems like usually whoever created the main character or concept just gets blanket credit.

The salve girl existed just to show that grabbing the Infinity Gem fucks you up. Which made the ending dramatic. Relax, guys.

Tell 'em, Fresh.  There is this little device in literature that we like to call.. foreshadowing...

You can't tell me that there weren't some people in the audience that were like NOOOOOO DON'T TOUCH IT~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when Quill grabs the Space Gem.

Speaking of which, after watching this movie again it kinda bugs me that Ronan refers to Quill as "mortal" as if to imply that Ronan himself is immortal, which he isn't.  

Splitting hairs yes and I know Gunn probably wants to avoid the "earthlings are the lint in the armpit of the galaxy" sci-fi trope by having Ronan say something like, "You are only human," but it annoys me just the same.

If anyone is smart, they had better let Thanos say this line word for word.

1590296-12_29_2010_3_20_16_pm-1024x732.j

The salve girl existed just to show that grabbing the Infinity Gem fucks you up. Which made the ending dramatic. Relax, guys.

Tell 'em, Fresh. There is this little device in literature that we like to call.. foreshadowing...

]

You can have back the superfan award.