DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

i'm apparently lower on this show than most. i didn't think it was BAD, i saw some things differently i guess:

i missed most of the pre-show tag match (thought it was on the main card) but what i saw of it was fun.

opening Hogan/Austin/Rock segment was too long. but the Silverdome flub was funny.

Bryan/HHH was good but i didn't think it was great. seemed sluggish to start and only recovered a bit towards the end.

the Shield squash was just about perfect. also let me twenty-eighth the love for JBL's "end of the attitude era" line.

i loved the battle royal. i'm kind of a sucker for them, but this was so much fun. none of us were sure who was winning, but Cesaro was absolutely the right choice. and the way he did it was awesome.

Cena/Wyatt - I see two ways that would work in terms of booking. First, have Cena win, but only by snapping and brutally beating Bray with a chair or not taking off the STF or what have you. Second, have Cena refuse to go over the edge, which leads to Bray beating him.

this was the only two ways i saw this match ending also. i didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't great either. i had no problem with Cena winning, but it just felt flat.  the crowd's singing of "he's got the whole world in his hands" was easily the best part of the match.

Taker/Brock wasn't a good match whatsoever. we were all well aware that Lesnar didn't have a chance in hell, and the match itself was just dull. i was in the midst of saying "he's gonna kick out of THREE f5s?" when the 3 count happened. all of our jaws dropped and we looked exactly like the live crowd. still can't believe the entire arena went silent.

divas match was fun too. nothing special but a good transition match.

main event was my MOTN. that table powerbomb/rko spot was NASTY. i was suckered by Batista pinning Orton after the knee. the HHH interference was well played. Bryan's moment was fan-fucking-tastic. i don't follow wrestling as closely as i used to, but this was clearly this era's WMXX Benoit/Eddie moment. and that is the highest compliment i can give it.

I've got people I haven't talked to in ten years messaging me about Taker losing. That's how I know this is a big, huge fucking deal. Shit, I went out for a walk to clear my head after that match. I still can't believe it.

Ban this fuck.

Don't worry, I'll catch the divas match fallout in season 3 of Total Divas.

5) Cena vs. Bray was so friggin' good. I don't really remember a match like that ever. Just an awesome story. The crowd chanting "He's got the whole world in his hands" was so awesome, too. It felt a lot like the Orton/Cena I Quit match in that it was just such a weird structure. A match based around John Cena not wanting to give in to his demons yet needing to find a way to beat this madman freak was executed perfectly. Bray's running this game for the next 15 years.

I'm with you. I'm shocked people on here are having a mundane reaction to that match. I thought it was amazing.

• Like 1

Scott Keith claims, "without hyperbole", that the Taker/Lesnar result is one of the worst booking decisions in wrestling history. For that reason alone, I fully endorse it.

Well it could have been booked into a more meaningful feud. It had reached the point of comical the whole streak. Was tired of having people try and sell the idea that the streak is what matters and sells itself. The build to it the last few years has proved otherwise. In some cases I have seen people say both of those things seemingly oblivious to the contradiction. The whole time during that match I was thinking I am so bored with the Undertaker and wish he would go away. Made worse that he had no cardio whatsoever. Made Batista at the Royal Rumble look good in comparison. Hopefully this also kills all the Sting talk.

Scott Keith claims, "without hyperbole", that the Taker/Lesnar result is one of the worst booking decisions in wrestling history. For that reason alone, I fully endorse it.

Well it could have been booked into a more meaningful feud. It had reached the point of comical the whole streak. Was tired of having people try and sell the idea that the streak is what matters and sells itself. The build to it the last few years has proved otherwise. In some cases I have seen people say both of those things seemingly oblivious to the contradiction. The whole time during that match I was thinking I am so bored with the Undertaker and wish he would go away. Made worse that he had no cardio whatsoever. Made Batista at the Royal Rumble look good in comparison. Hopefully this also kills all the Sting talk.

Man f that, I would have loved Sting to do a "one night only in WWE" deal and get the win.

But losing to Brock does make me wonder if Undertaker had wanted to drop it to him all the way from when he first had that face to afce with Brock at UFC something-or-other

I've got people I haven't talked to in ten years messaging me about Taker losing. That's how I know this is a big, huge fucking deal. Shit, I went out for a walk to clear my head after that match. I still can't believe it.

Ban this fuck.
Don't worry, I'll catch the divas match fallout in season 3 of Total Divas.

How you make it through the opening theme without drowning in tears is a miracle.

Yeah, I'm going to miss Taker, but I'm glad there won't be anymore Streak matches. Between Taker's declining health and the overkill in the HBK and HHH matches, they've basically become a collection of tropes that you can call with your eyes closed.

There's this thing I heard once said about the modern blockbuster movie business: "When you spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a movie, you have to save the world." I think the same sort of logic has come to apply to the Streak over the last 5 years. When the main selling point of your biggest show of the year is the Streak, then those matches have to be these epic life-or-death struggles with a dozen finishers and over-the-top dramatic selling and whatnot. It's not enough to just have a good match, every stop must be pulled out. But there are only so many stops.

I think they probably took that type of match as far as they could in the HIAC match at 28, and it's been diminishing returns ever since.

Yeah, I'm going to miss Taker, but I'm glad there won't be anymore Streak matches. Between Taker's declining health and the overkill in the HBK and HHH matches, they've basically become a collection of tropes that you can call with your eyes closed.

There's this thing I heard once said about the modern blockbuster movie business: "When you spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a movie, you have to save the world." I think the same sort of logic has come to apply to the Streak over the last 5 years. When the main selling point of your biggest show of the year is the Streak, then those matches have to be these epic life-or-death struggles with a dozen finishers and over-the-top dramatic selling and whatnot. It's not enough to just have a good match, every stop must be pulled out. But there are only so many stops.

I think they probably took that type of match as far as they could in the HIAC match at 28, and it's been diminishing returns ever since.

"Ever since" being only last year ...?

Ever since I bought my first PWI in 01 and saw American Dragon listed from Aberdeen Washington. For the three other people on this board from Washington my family has gone to Ocean Shores routinely my whole life, I've driven through and stopped in Aberdeen countless times I know where D-Brys from, I feel like I have this connection with him. He's been my wrestler since that day I saw his name in that magazine ive followed his while career almost this is a great night for me. So surreal seeing him as champ at the end of the night was the most emotional night in wrestling for me since Flairs retirement against Shawn. I cant explain it but all seems right tonight. 

You get a free pass this one night only because Bryan put on a heck of a show.....

Sorry im not a cynical internet wrestling fan.

I agree 100%.  The whole streak lost its appeal to me I guess around HBK/Taker II.

Ever since I bought my first PWI in 01 and saw American Dragon listed from Aberdeen Washington. For the three other people on this board from Washington my family has gone to Ocean Shores routinely my whole life, I've driven through and stopped in Aberdeen countless times I know where D-Brys from, I feel like I have this connection with him. He's been my wrestler since that day I saw his name in that magazine ive followed his while career almost this is a great night for me. So surreal seeing him as champ at the end of the night was the most emotional night in wrestling for me since Flairs retirement against Shawn. I cant explain it but all seems right tonight. 

You get a free pass this one night only because Bryan put on a heck of a show.....

It's less to do with being a wrestling fan and more a borderline creepy stalker fella

Steph was looking hot tonight

I find Stephanie really attractive but tonight she was dressed like a flight attendant.  From the waist up, anyway.  From the waist down......well, leather shorts shouldn't really be loose, in my opinion.  Not flattering. 

Now that I've skeeved myself out a little, um.......loved the random appearance by Danny Davis. 

Really liked the Shield's new masks too.

yy8EzPf.jpg

AWESOME

Good to see WWE get some use out of TNA's Aces and 8s clearance.

who's Aces and 8s and why should I give a fuck

loltna

TNA's latest big group that tried to take over the company, who wore this same kind of mask.

• Like 1

I really don't think you can give The Streak to a guy like Reigns or even Bray. I love this "New Generation" as we're calling them but that's a hell of a burden for anyone. Lesnar is not only a guy who will not be affected by any kind of backlash but he's a guy that everyone knows as basically Mike Tyson in the 80's. The baddest man alive. This also sets up some wonderful shit down the line for Lesnar against Bryan or Reigns or whoever. 

It's perfect.

Memorable moments:

1. TIGER SUPLEX!!!!!

2. Stephanie and Triple H rubbing noses before his match was hilarious.

3. Did Cameron's tits fall out or did I imagine that?

4. Austin momentarily forgetting this is the PG era and sticking up his middle fingers on the first turnbuckle. The camera quickly trying to crop them out.

5. Bob Backlund being a crazy person.

6. Paul Orndorff looking like a crazy person.

7. Roddy Piper and Mr. T being temporarily crazy people and hugging it out.

8. The crowd reactions to the streak ending.

9. Cesaro not only picked up Big Show easily but then WALKED WITH HIM.

10. John Cena using heel offense for a few minutes then immediately regretting it.

11. Renee Young occupying my dreams for the next few nights.

12. Triple H's bad cosplay.

13. Lawler, Cole, and JBL not taking one sip from their prominently placed Mountain Dews all night.

14. Hogan thinking he was in Michigan.

15. Billy Gunn having the braid of a girl scout.

16. Do the snarky fucks who got so angry at the guys who said "Let's wait and see" in regards to Bryan have to apologize now?

• Like 6

It's less to do with being a wrestling fan and more a borderline creepy stalker fella

Oh that wasnt what I was going for I'm just pumped that after four years of horseshit Daniel Bryan finally had his night. That opening match was fucking crazy I was on Pins and Needles the whole time same with the main. Also I thought the opening with Hogan Austin and Rock was awesome.

Yeah, in retrospect, having Brock beat the streak is great. That's an IMPOSSIBLE mantle for a new guy to work with. I love Bray and Roman and Cesaro and etc. but you can't really top "Breaking the Streak" for a career mark. Brock's the one dude they have who already has accolades of that magnitude. Maybe Cena's the other guy but the backlash if he beat the streak would be terrible.