DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

I liked what they were trying to do in Cena/Bray, but Cena's acting totally killed it for me. I'm normally down for his style, but his facial expressions alone just made that match mostly unwatchable.

Everything else ranged from entertaining enough to outstanding. Taker/Brock wasn't any good, but the crowd reaction at the end saved it x1000. I'll have to re-watch it, but HHH/Bryan may be my favorite HHH match ever (not that that says a ton, to be fair) and HHH, to his credit, almost saved the main event's heat by showing up at just the right time.

Really liked the Shield's new masks too.

Really liked the Shield's new masks too.

The Shield is basically a Michael Tarver tribute act.

With an odd bit of Aces and Eights, if it actually got over.

I feel like I need to re-evaluate how I really feel about The Shield now.

I liked what they were trying to do in Cena/Bray, but Cena's acting totally killed it for me. I'm normally down for his style, but his facial expressions alone just made that match mostly unwatchable.

Cena's acting didn't kill it, Bray being a fucking cartoon character with pvc trousers and a plastic lantern meant it was on life support to begin with.

• Like 7

Maybe Taker doesn't have anything left in the tank to have another great match. Most of us were shocked that he and HBK had a classic match at WM25 and that was five years ago.

That's why you wrestle a little fast dude and not a big monster dude that only works twice a year

The Reddit spoiler guy (who's usually 100% correct) is fuming because his source fed him the wrong results. Pretty funny to see him lose it.

Link please. I hate him.

https://twitter.com/DolphinsReddit

"Flat out despicable behavior." C'mon now....

Dolphins1925 @DolphinsReddit3h

I contacted my source but have received no response. As far as I'm concerned he's a fucking fraud. I will get to the bottom of this.

truthcommission_display_imagee.jpg

• Like 1

Ever since I bought my first PWI in 01 and saw American Dragon listed from Aberdeen Washington. For the three other people on this board from Washington my family has gone to Ocean Shores routinely my whole life, I've driven through and stopped in Aberdeen countless times I know where D-Brys from, I feel like I have this connection with him. He's been my wrestler since that day I saw his name in that magazine ive followed his while career almost this is a great night for me. So surreal seeing him as champ at the end of the night was the most emotional night in wrestling for me since Flairs retirement against Shawn. I cant explain it but all seems right tonight. 

Fuck it, I'm doing this in pieces anyway. Might as well talk about the whole magilla. 

HHH-Bryan. The thing that struck me early and continued to strike me was that everything was 100% sensical, from the ringwork itself to the ringwork as it related to the bigger story being told. Triple H definitely benefitted from the story of working on Bryan's arm and he was smart enough to keep feeding into that. There was a reason that we kept calling for the temper tantrum that happened before the show. Because it was the most effective way to keep the fans thinking what they wanted to happen wasn't going to. 

Shield- Outlaws/Kane: Good positioning, gave the fans a sorbet after the uber-dramatic opener. Shield were made to look impressive. In the history of ridiculous things that happen at WrestleMania, there's probably not going to be a spot for Dean Ambrose's ridiculous clubbering. But really, there should be.

Andre Battle Royal: A battle royal is basically made up of spare-part chestnuts, but OH, WHAT CHESTNUTS: Kofi's stair spot, 3MB gettin' they wig split, Fandango bringing Fandango back and Cesaro being made to look like a superstar are the ones that stand out. From about the final 6 on, the writing was on the wall that this whole thing was set up for Cesaro to dump Big Show. And once again, the simple ideas work best.

Cena-Wyatt: The presentation was excellent, the storytelling was excellent, the heat was excellent, there were the sum of parts in the match that were excellent, but the whole thing didn't quite congeal exactly like it should have. It's as if this novel you're reading has an amazing Act I and Act II but Act III just sort of ENDS. I liked a lot of things about the match, but it felt really anticlimactic at the end and felt as if something should have happened that didn't. A lot of this opinion should really be pending Raw tomorrow to see if this actually isn't the end of Act III. I kind of hope not just for the sake of the story I'm already invested in. 

Taker-Lesnar: I'm not going to top my point from ten minutes ago that the end is the thing and the rest of the match doesn't really matter. Except that I think Taker's hat was the bad luck streak in dance school that ended the streak. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

Divas match: Speaking of not being able to top points, I'll give Andy Gaston from Flawedcast credit for the following line that I'm paraphrasing here: "The crowd just might as well have been collectively told ten minutes ago that their parents are getting divorced. GOOD LUCK, GIRLS!" This was sent out to be a sacrificial lamb and in a vacuum it was ok, but speaking only for myself now I know that I wasn't really interested or paying that much attention after what had just happened the previous match. Find out just HOW much this match was sent out to die later this season on Total Divas, 9 pm Sunday, 8 p.m. Central, on the E! Network.

WWE World Heavyweight Championship: This match could only end one way, although it didn't stop the WWE from throwing every red herrring and false finish imaginable to make fans think that the ending they wanted wasn't going to happen. This is kind of a tale of two matches and was the rare case of where putting the overbooking mid-match and not at the finish was the thing that allowed it to kick into gear. But by the last five to seven minutes, I was completely sucked in and even though intellectually I know that most likely because of the Undertaker losing that there was no way Bryan wasn't winning, they still managed to mess with me with all of the twists, which in this day and age is all you can really ask for. Orton had the thankless task of having the story they were telling with Bryan on one side and the story they were telling with Batista on the other and needed to fit in the middle of both of them, but somehow he managed it. In a lot of ways it was as much Orton's graduation day as it was Daniel Bryan's because of how he was the one holding everything together.  

On the whole, there was nothing in this show that wasn't at least either good, great or infinitely memorable. 

Is it strange that when I saw DB motioning for someone in the crowd to get in the ring, I thought it was Punk so they could recreate the WM20 moment? It's amazing how they basically completely recreated that moment with just the one guy this time. How does this rank in terms of Mania moments? It's gotta be top 3 with Austin WM14 and Michaels WM12, I don't know what ordrer though.

As for Brock/Taker, I was shocked, but once I saw the third F5 I knew it was over. The throwback to Taker beating Kane with 3 Tombstones immediately popped into my head. I guess Taker's never really wanted to keep the streak cause every year you see reports about him wanting someone he thought deserved it to break it, just don't think it did anything for Brock. Would have much preferred for it to be Shield or Wyatts taking him out to pasture. I know people say Brock was chosen cause he already had the credibility, but ultimately the only reason I think it won't hurt him is because the joy of Bryan winning could only be dampened by shooting a baby in the crowd at this point.

Also don't see why anyone would think Cena should lose. He beat Rock last year, the build-up was about his legacy, no way he was gonna lose, just shocked he didn't get a bigger spot on the card. It's still do alot for Wyatt too. This being the official show the start the "Network Era" is the best thing Hunter and Steph could possibly do. Everybody who needed to look like stars to put this whole new generation idea came out better than one could even expect.

• Like 1

Cena's acting didn't kill it, Bray being a fucking cartoon character with pvc trousers and a plastic lantern meant it was on life support to begin with.

And yet Bray, so far this year, has had a great match with Bryan and the Wyatts tore it up with The Shield, no problem.

Maybe he's not quite ready to be a true top guy, but tonight was vastly more on Cena, his bad acting and how little the crowd was into him (and this was one time when it needed to be into him and the mixed reaction hurt things), than anything to do with Bray -- at least for me.

Ever since I bought my first PWI in 01 and saw American Dragon listed from Aberdeen Washington. For the three other people on this board from Washington my family has gone to Ocean Shores routinely my whole life, I've driven through and stopped in Aberdeen countless times I know where D-Brys from, I feel like I have this connection with him. He's been my wrestler since that day I saw his name in that magazine ive followed his while career almost this is a great night for me. So surreal seeing him as champ at the end of the night was the most emotional night in wrestling for me since Flairs retirement against Shawn. I cant explain it but all seems right tonight. 

You get a free pass this one night only because Bryan put on a heck of a show.....

I've got people I haven't talked to in ten years messaging me about Taker losing. That's how I know this is a big, huge fucking deal. Shit, I went out for a walk to clear my head after that match. I still can't believe it.

Ban this fuck.

• Like 1

I've got people I haven't talked to in ten years messaging me about Taker losing. That's how I know this is a big, huge fucking deal. Shit, I went out for a walk to clear my head after that match. I still can't believe it.

Went and watched the replay of the finish again.  There is just absolutely nothing to compare it to.  I've NEVER heard a reaction like that. 

You guys can say "Bruno/Koloff" all you want, there's no actual footage to back that up (aside from silent 8mm).  It's just people who weren't there re-telling the same 40 year-old story that may or not be embellished.  This was 75,000 people and millions at home completely in shock. 

It was the right finish.  Taker just did not look good in this.  At all. 

• Like 2