DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania Triple X! - Thread 2

Dolfan in NYC

Match of the night was Bryan/Hunter.

21-1 was the biggest jaw-dropping moment as a fan I've had seen seeing Punk win at MITB in Chicago.

Worst match is either the Divas debacle or Cena/Wyatt.

Main event was insane. Orton taking the RKO onto a TV monitor had to SUCK.

I feel lots of emotions about this show. 

HHH/Bryan - This is HHH's best match ever, and I'm not being hyperbolic. Usually, HHH in control with his heel offense SUCKS. This time, he was doing Tiger Suplexes and chicken wings and all sorts of cool offense to work the shoulder and arm. Bryan sold the beating like a champ, too. 

Also, I guess Stephanie went to the Mark Henry school of talking shit at some point because she was great today. Actually, I think the best thing she did was her mournful "You could never beat him Daniel, you should know that" as Bryan was rolling around in pain. 

The best part was how self-aware this was with the throne and the overly-elaborate entrance and HHH doing a ridiculous I'M INTENSE face after he took that mask off. I cannot believe I am effusively praising HHH in 2014, but here we are. 

Shield squash match - This was one of my favorite squash matches ever. It was four minutes of the Shield killing dudes with spears and powerbombs and such. I highly enjoyed it. 

Andre Memorial Battle Royal - Once it got to like the final eight and guys had room to work, it was super-fun. Kofi killed himself to complete that near-elimination spot. Cesaro slamming show was a great spot that will be shown over and over in the future. I loved this.

Cena/Wyatt - The story was that Bray was trying to get Cena to drop his good-guy facade and admit to being a monster. So, I see two ways that would work in terms of booking. First, have Cena win, but only by snapping and brutally beating Bray with a chair or not taking off the STF or what have you. Second, have Cena refuse to go over the edge, which leads to Bray beating him. 

I thought the match was okay. There were some cool spots and the story was not bad, but it seems like it would work better at a house show where most fans are pro-Cena and where it's easier to project all the talking and facial expressions out to the folks in the arena because of the smaller venue. I really was expecting something better, but this wasn't bad so much as it was a great idea that didn't quite work. 

Taker/Brock - I, uh, wow. Well, aside from the questionable act of booking a part-timer that lost to John Cena and could barely beat CM Punk over 'Taker at WM, this match was pretty much a bunch of bad clubbering and much less exciting submission exchanges than in HHH/Bryan earlier in the same night. That awesome streak went out with a whimper, though at that third F5, I have to admit that I was like "Wow, they're going to actually do it?"

Divas Championship Match - These poor ladies worked hard. The Bellas did a double-dive, there was a superplex/powerbomb spot, and it was sort of a rushed and cluttered match, but for what it was and the death spot they got, I appreciated it. Plus Emma did a DilEMMA and an Emma Sandwich and also got to dance horribly, so things were overall good here anyway. 

Triple Threat Championship Match - The opening was typical stuff, but it picked up nicely from the point that WrestleMania MVPs Stephanie and HHH showed up. Nice interaction between them and Bryan/the ref. Then that powerbomb/neckbreaker combo through the table! I loved that spot. It looked nasty. Also, the 2.9 off the RKO to Batista actually got me. Then, Batista's 2.9 on Orton off Bryan's Busaiku Knee ALSO got me to bite. At least 'Taker losing convinced me that anything was possible in this match. Anyway, it was good stuff overall. Nice false finishes.

HHH and Stephanie were the best people on this show. HHH with his varied offense and bumping, Stephanie with her facial expressions and stream of shit-talking, they were in top form tonight.

For my money this was the best night of wrestling ever. Everything was perfect. The Streak ending was probably the most shocking moment we've had in forever and the aftermath of the crowd was incredible, and then Bryan won and it was perfect. This is probably the best Mania I've ever seen, and not having seen a live Mania since 2000 I loved every second of it.

Great WM top to bottom. Bryan as champion is awesome..  his match with Triple H to open the show was spectacular.

Taker losing to Lesnar had everyone FLOORED. Total shock. I don't know what people are pissed about.. I mean there's always going to be someone but Taker doesn't go out if he doesn't co-sign it. I'm sure it was his decision and I accept the old school tradition of going out on your back.

Great show.

Both of Bryan's matches were great.

Cena/Bray was weird. I don't think it was a bad match, but it felt like it had the wrong finish and maybe should have been the rematch instead if Cena was going over.

Taker/Brock was disappointing aside form the WTF loss.

I feel like a kid again, damn that was awesome!! They made us wait and think it wouldn't happen with all the nearfalls and shenanigans but what a moment when Bryan finally got the pin!

I dont know what to say about Taker yet but that was some shocker.