DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Was Gordon Solie gay?

His wives probably didn't think so.

He was Mormon?

Divorced and remarried.

Though this makes me wonder why no one has done a heel Mormon character that comes to the ring with 16 wives and preaches about purity. Thanks for nothing, Attitude Era. 

When I was a teenager, during the time that Right To Censor was active, the apartment complex that I lived in had a group of Mormon missionaries living in it.  When in public, they ALWAYS were dressed in an outfit nearly identical to RTC.  Once I came home from school to have my mom tell me that "the Right To Censor look-a-likes" had visited.

OK, had this little thought earlier, wanna bounce it off the intelligentsia:

Most successful shouldn't-have-worked-on-paper push in wrestling history: ECW-era Taz.

He was 4-foot-2 and Heyman somehow booked him like a killing machine and it worked. You book a hyoooge dude as a killing machine and it works, you're not exactly a genius. You book a big ol' dude to be GOLDBERG~! and you're not exactly a genius. "Win a lot, with an awesome-looking finisher. How do you feel about snorting pyro smoke, kid?"

But to take an Oompa-Loompa and make him the wrecking ball of your promotion is something else entirely. I don't care if you loved ECW, hated it, thinks it stands the test of time, don't think it does, doesn't matter. I'm just talking the sheer improbability of it.

They really need to have a Papa Shango appearance somewhere at Mania, whether it be one of the surprise entrants to ARMBaR or in a backstage skit (#BadNewsBarrett tells all these legends that they don't have time for them and then gets cursed by Shango?)

• Like 1

You would think a Straight Edge cat vacationing in New Orleans would a akin to a vegetarian vacationing at the National Barbecue Championships.

My Catholic high school's annual senior class trip was to New Orleans. What were they thinking?

Brand new respect for the Bellas. They said they used to sneak to SHIMMER cards just to see how great women wrestlers got the job done. Interview with Rosenberg that I posted a few pages back needs to be listened to.

• Like 3

So, last night I was browsing the internets and came across a Piper/Ventura pilot from the early 90s called Tagteam. It stars Piper/Ventura as two retired wrestlers who become cops. The whole thing is on youtube.

Am I the only one who didn't know this existed?

You would think a Straight Edge cat vacationing in New Orleans would a akin to a vegetarian vacationing at the National Barbecue Championships.

It's not like Phil is a vegan.

Plenty to do in NOLA without drink or drugs.

I don't know about you guys, but it's weirdly hard for me to leave the bubble and get into the larger outer smark bubble. Just Rosenberg mentioning all the problems he has with John Cena's ringwork or (and this makes me a horrible person) having the belt signed by Shawn and Bret sort of made me groan. I think it's because we've gone through all these discussions over the years and it's sort of hard to insert yourself back into a point before those. 

OK, had this little thought earlier, wanna bounce it off the intelligentsia:

Most successful shouldn't-have-worked-on-paper push in wrestling history: ECW-era Taz.

He was 4-foot-2 and Heyman somehow booked him like a killing machine and it worked. You book a hyoooge dude as a killing machine and it works, you're not exactly a genius. You book a big ol' dude to be GOLDBERG~! and you're not exactly a genius. "Win a lot, with an awesome-looking finisher. How do you feel about snorting pyro smoke, kid?"

But to take an Oompa-Loompa and make him the wrecking ball of your promotion is something else entirely. I don't care if you loved ECW, hated it, thinks it stands the test of time, don't think it does, doesn't matter. I'm just talking the sheer improbability of it.

Yeah, but the rest of the ECW roster wasn't exactly towering over him at the time. It also helps that he was intentionally dropping people on their heads. But I see your point.

I was thinking back to when I watched Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena from SummerSlam 2013 in the early hours of the morning as the show aired and how shocked I was with the ending, Bryan drilling Cena with THAT knee for a clean win and the WWE Championship.

Another of mine was John Cena making Triple H tap out to the STFU at WrestleMania 22. The camera did well catching fans faces of disbelief to it.

Which match endings surprised you?

So, last night I was browsing the internets and came across a Piper/Ventura pilot from the early 90s called Tagteam. It stars Piper/Ventura as two retired wrestlers who become cops. The whole thing is on youtube.

Am I the only one who didn't know this existed?

They actually did a Piper/Ventura vs. Orient Express match at the LA Sports Arena so they'd have some wrestling footage for that.  I remember reading that result in the back of PWI and being all WTF?

I was thinking back to when I watched Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena from SummerSlam 2013 in the early hours of the morning as the show aired and how shocked I was with the ending, Bryan drilling Cena with THAT knee for a clean win and the WWE Championship.

Another of mine was John Cena making Triple H tap out to the STFU at WrestleMania 22. The camera did well catching fans faces of disbelief to it.

Which match endings surprised you?

WM 20's main.

• Like 1

Knowing how WWE creative operates, I could totally see Punks music hitting during the main event when Bryan is on the verge of being defeated after being ganged up on by Batista/Orton all match. Batista/Orton momentarily forget they are in the main event of wrestlemania and stair like morons at the titantron. Bryan comes to and does a double rollup, simultaneously pinning Batista/Orton.

Then when Bryan's rocket ship doesn't take off due to the fluky finish, HHH can make shooty comments about how Bryan pinned HHH, Orton and Batista in one night and still couldn't get over.

• Like 1