Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Mr Harms

The Old School Questions thread

Recommended Posts

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Michael Sweetser said:

Just because wrestling kept serving the same terrible meal since doesn't make it any more edible seeing it being made the first time.  Just because the same things happened again doesn't mean WCW gets a pass for being the first to fuck it up.  

My general guideline was that WCW was pretty much shit at any point Russo had power, because the second he did, he turned it into WWF-lite, and even the WWF was having its own teething problems with their content at that point.  For every good thing they did, they had ten more shit things to balance it out.

And Chavo Classic was miles ahead of anything you compared it to.  Don't diss Chavo Classic.

Chavo Classic was the bomb diggity.  His only problem was that he was so much better than everyone he worked with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Don't forget Ultimo Dragon appearing on WCW tv with the 8 titles making up the J Crown, one of which was the old and long forgotten, WWF Light heavyweight title. You know that had to drive Vince insane. 

Combined with Medusa and the Women's title, he was probably in full "angry hard-on" Vince mode. 

The likes of which were reserved for Phil Mushnick and others. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that WWF Light Heavyweight tournament was just sad with guys like Brian Christopher, Scott Putski, The Fantastics as singles, and a bunch of other guys just thrown out there completely cold.  WCW had guys flying around doing crazy shit while WWF was like here's Taka Michinoku and some short guys.

The term 'light heavyweight' sounded outdated too.  The belt was even sad and cheap looking.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BEN! said:

Man, that WWF Light Heavyweight tournament was just sad with guys like Brian Christopher, Scott Putski, The Fantastics as singles, and a bunch of other guys just thrown out there completely cold.  WCW had guys flying around doing crazy shit while WWF was like here's Taka Michinoku and some short guys.

The term 'light heavyweight' sounded outdated too.  The belt was even sad and cheap looking.

Vince kept calling Tajiri, Tajiri Yoshihiro. I believe he also just kept saying he was a wild man from Japan since he obviously didn't know a fucking thing about Tajiri.

I believe Jerry Lynn was also in that sad ass tournament. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lynn was never in the tournament and was not in the WWF at the time, although they did show him on the tournament brackets on TV at one point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, I remember that Aguila/Super Loco match on an episode of RAW in late 97.

There was a huge fucking botched spot. Can't remember what, but what Lawler just wet himself laughing about it for the rest of the match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did Condrey up and leave the Midnight Express in 87?  More money from Verne?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Peck said:

Why did Condrey up and leave the Midnight Express in 87?  More money from Verne?

Nobody really knows. Various theories include a) a cocaine problem, b) marital problems, c) being pissed at Cornette for turning down a jump for the Midnights to the WWF in 1986.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Nobody really knows. Various theories include a) a cocaine problem, b) marital problems, c) being pissed at Cornette for turning down a jump for the Midnights to the WWF in 1986.

Cornette and Eaton have said in interviews that they never really got a straight answer from Condrey about why he up and left.  He just "went weird" on them (Cornette's words).  

I tend to think it was a combination of all of the above, with the catalyst being the situation with his ex-wife.  Cornette thinks Condrey wanted to drop off the radar for awhile so his wife couldn't find him and collect alimony.  How that would work, I dunno.  But there'd been problems with Condrey before that due to Condrey's drug use and the WWF thing.  

I can't imagine the Midnights in 1980's WWF.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear there's an Apter mag out there that backs me up, but the Midnights were apparently about to make the jump in 1989 too.  It was during the period where they lost their feud to the SST and then disappeared for a few months only to come back for the tag team tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Cornette and Eaton have said in interviews that they never really got a straight answer from Condrey about why he up and left.  He just "went weird" on them (Cornette's words).  

I tend to think it was a combination of all of the above, with the catalyst being the situation with his ex-wife.  Cornette thinks Condrey wanted to drop off the radar for awhile so his wife couldn't find him and collect alimony.  How that would work, I dunno.  But there'd been problems with Condrey before that due to Condrey's drug use and the WWF thing.  

I can't imagine the Midnights in 1980's WWF.

 

 

The Midnight Express vs Strike Force would have been pretty amazing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The Midnight Express vs Strike Force would have been pretty amazing.

I would have wanted to see the Midnight Express vs. British Bulldogs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Even MX vs The Killer B's!

or pre-heel turn Rougeau's

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

or pre-heel turn Rougeau's

Face Midnights vs heel Rougeaus seems like the better version of this to me personally plus then you get dueling Cornette vs Jimmy Hart promos.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clintthecrippler said:

Face Midnights vs heel Rougeaus seems like the better version of this to me personally plus then you get dueling Cornette vs Jimmy Hart promos.

You're right. Plus, heel Rougeau's means "All American Boys". You can never have enough of one of the greatest entrance themes ever.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Midnights in WWF wouldn't have really worked either in 1986 or 1989. They'd have had good matches but wouldn't have got the belts. If they'd come in in 1989 they'd have almost certainly ended up jobbing to the Bushwhackers. Maybe in 1990 you could put them in the same spot the Orient Express got, have them go over the Rockers at WM, feud with them for a while, then feud with the Hart Foundation after they win the belts. There was a shortage of heel teams in 1990 until they turned Demolition heel. They would have ended up having to job to the Bushwhackers and Cornette would have thrown a strop and left to start SMW. But then we wouldn't have got Cornette coming in later in the 90s to manage Yokozuna etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Midnights would have ended up with the BrainBusters spot if the BrainBusters weren't already there.  And the Busters jobbed to the Bushwhackers too before winning the titles, so it's not like that was some major depush back then.  A Midnight Express/Rockers feud would have been insane fun.  Shit a POP/BrainBusters/MNX/Rougeaus/Andre/Haku vs. Demolition/Rockers/Harts/Bushwhackers/Stallions could have rivaled the other tag Survivor Series matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 27, 2016 at 9:32 PM, The Green Meanie said:

2015-11-07_lht.png

Just for comparison, week one: 

Vmst8zP.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was Eric Shelley related to Len "Kojak" Shelley?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2016 at 4:56 PM, BEN! said:

Man, that WWF Light Heavyweight tournament was just sad with guys like Brian Christopher, Scott Putski, The Fantastics as singles, and a bunch of other guys just thrown out there completely cold.  WCW had guys flying around doing crazy shit while WWF was like here's Taka Michinoku and some short guys.

The term 'light heavyweight' sounded outdated too.  The belt was even sad and cheap looking.

Tommy Rogers was pretty damn fantastic in '97.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Tommy Rogers was pretty damn fantastic in '97.

Christian and Billy Kidman stole his finisher.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Christian and Billy Kidman stole his finisher.

Little Guido as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...