DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Actually, I see him as stepping into the Magnum slot when he went down.

He does have a brief feud with Flair not long after Magnum's accident, but I guess they figured he wasn't quite ready and created the Western States Heritage title for him instead. Flair's feud with Ron Garvin is restarted instead (with Jimmy Garvin added as well, who is awesome after his turn).

In hindsight, Windham would have probably been a better choice to take the belt at Starrcade 87, but the Flair/Garvins feud leading up to it is pretty great. It's probably the most personality Ron ever had, I guess because he had to keep up with Jimmy beside him. History would have probably looked better on it if Ron had someone to feud with after winning the belt, rather than just sitting around waiting to drop it back to Flair.

7 hours ago, EricR said:

I remember when The Giant was doing his stupid "edgy" smoking gimmick, and before a match Disco got on the mic and called him a dummy because smoking was going to stunt his growth.

Well, yeah.  Why else would the Giant be smoking?  He knew that if he got any larger, he'd be too big to pull off the moonsault.

• Like 2

I've had some of the Monday Night Wars episodes as background as I work on some stuff and have heard various people praise Vince Russo's work, yet I've also heard a ton of people drag his name through the mud on the same episodes and on different shows on the Network.

Seems odd they would do that. I know he's been on some of the episodes and has tried justifying everything, plus putting over Vince McMahon over himself obviously.

I wasn't watching WCW during their dying days, but have heard the stories and seen some of the disaster it was.

Anyway, what's the deal here? Why would they praise and trash him at the same time? I guess there's some backstory here I'm missing or something?

I think it's maybe because when he had Vince as a filter in WWF, he did a lot of work for the undercard guys and trying to get everybody over from the bottom to the top of the card. So that's probably where a lot of the good comes from.

On the flip side, when it was just him with nobody above him to filter out 90% of his crazy over in WCW, he almost single handedly tanked the entire company with his ridiculous gimmicks and "worked shoot" storylines, thus the bad.

Overall, he did help a lot of guys get over, but also put a lot of guys out of jobs. Depending on whom you're speaking with, you're going to get a different story on the guy.

• Like 1

Can you name a couple of guys who've actually come forward and said Russo has helped them? Which undercard guys are you specifically talking about?

On 12/11/2016 at 5:18 PM, Edwin said:

Can you name a couple of guys who've actually come forward and said Russo has helped them? Which undercard guys are you specifically talking about?

Judging from his interview on Talk is Jericho, it seems like Russo was a big Don Callis (The Jackyl) fan. There were a number of plans for Callis, but would eventually get pulled due to the religious nature of them. This one is up there with Raven's as one of my favorites. 

30 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i appreciate that the video for the above Jericho/Cyrus podcast has a picture of Earthquake for no reason whatsoever.

Tenta was in The Oddities, who were initially managed by The Jackyl. Yeah, there should be a picture of Callis there.

• Like 1

I just fell down a Wikipedia rabbit hole and ended up reading about Steve Blackman. Didn't have a clue he was originally supposed to come into the WWF in 89/90 but ended up catching malaria and was bed ridden for two years before then doing physical therapy for four years.

Do you think his career would've turned out much different if he came in then as opposed to the Attitude error? I loved his work but being resigned to nothing much other than hardcore matches I never felt we saw his best

He actually did wrestle for the WWF in 1988 as a jobber, and I think that's all he would have been.  He was too generic for the cartoony late 80s period.  He would have been the Brady Boone/Scott Casey/DJ Peterson jobber.  A notch above the no-names, but still never winning (or maybe beating Horowitz or Sharpe.)  His career probably would have been worse as a result, because I doubt they would have brought back for the Attitude era.

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

He actually did wrestle for the WWF in 1988 as a jobber, and I think that's all he would have been.  He was too generic for the cartoony late 80s period.  He would have been the Brady Boone/Scott Casey/DJ Peterson jobber.  A notch above the no-names, but still never winning (or maybe beating Horowitz or Sharpe.)  His career probably would have been worse as a result, because I doubt they would have brought back for the Attitude era.

I could see them giving him the Shinobi/Avatar gimmick they gave Al Snow and it going about just as well.