DVDVR Message Board

Elimination Chamber

Brian Fowler

I get a suspicion that if you had a conclave of Daniel Bryan fans designing his shirt, you'd get a majority for something, but a minority that just hates whatever is picked as the shirt. Maybe you all aren't the target audience for the t-shirts?

And the Wyatts/Shield match was fucking awesome. Can't be down on anything American with a dive sequence. The fatboy senton on the floor ruled. Seth Rollins and Luke Harper really brought it as well. Erick Rowan used a modified noogie and it didn't look shitty

Having Daniel Bryan win on at a set-up PPV is the absolute dumbest thing in the world. That's not how it works.

gm_eddie_lesnar.jpg

Eddie held the secondary title. The big deal was Benoit beating Shawn and taking the title from HHH.

That's how it works.

• Like 1

How long until we get Michael Hayes telling fans before RAW that they're part of a story, and to not boo Batista ala TNA? Also there's a rumored title switch tomorrow, I'm hoping it's The Usos getting the tag straps, but it wouldn't surprise me if Bryan won the belt either.

My big problem is that I haven´t seen the PPV and only read stuff how things went down, from reading this here sounded right:

I'd love to know what this "bad booking" of the main event actually was.

1) Was it John Cena getting taken out by The Wyatt Family? Because that rules. World beater Bray Wyatt took out Daniel Bryan and The Shield and now wants to ensure his dominance by destroying the one man everyone calls a hero.

2) Was it an injured Daniel Bryan coming into the match hurt, entering third, dominating several segments in it, getting a pinfall, kicking out of Randy Orton's finisher, getting a virtual visual fall and only losing because his former best friend-turned-corporate goon cost him the match?  Because that was great, too.

I guess you'd rather have Randy Orton beat Cena and Bryan cleanly? Or am I missing something.

Having Daniel Bryan win on at a set-up PPV is the absolute dumbest thing in the world. That's not how it works.

It sounded as if Cole - the guy who was originally all over how Bryan is a minor league player and shouldn´t even be in WWE - was ranting how Bryan got betrayed yet again and how this was a travesty. They are doing all they can to try and keep Bryan strong and everything is still set up for him to be wwe´s top babyface. In a perfect world he wraps up his business at Mania, defeats Batista at Extreme Rules (is it even in is home town? Read something like that) and after that has his first major feud with Bray Wyatt, who could win his feud with Cena roughly the same time as Bryan finally wins the title (which he actually already won btw).

Generally the last 8-9 months they have done with Bryan Danielson a whole lot more than everyone - even the biggest optimist - would have ever hoped for. I wouldn´t say all of the CM-Punk-push was intentional initionally, but when they went and gave win the "win it (nearly) all for two years"-treatment, his act became stale and almost unbearable really fast. Granted, this could very easily be because Punk comes across kind of dickish here and there, but he was really hot when he went for Cena at Money in the Bank 2011 and they took from August to December (I think) for him to overcome the odds, get back his title and then keep on winning for over a year - with lots of us complaining back then, again, granted!

The big problem all of us have - and here I agree with many of you bitching and moaning - is that we simply can´t see them really pulling the trigger at some point. All I´m saying though, and I honestly do think so, is that if they did, that could be an amazing example of getting a long term story out of a title chase in times where a belt is somewhat of a hot potatoe and creating real suspense within all of their fanbase, whether it is among the die hards who flood the message boards or the casuals - whoever those are supposed to be.

Wyatt/Shield match was great.

Liked and didn't like things in the EC match, particularly the interference. I expected that. I'm also very tired so might need to rewatch.

Good on John Cena giving his hat and shirt to the fan at ringside.

Undercard was stuff, with Swagger-E over-delivering. Wyatts-Shield was even more amazing in theory then it seemed like it could be in execution. It felt like something out of the '80s with all the intensity. This was a match of the year contender. Alberto-Batista wasn't much as a wrestling match, but awesome due to the chanting. BOO-TISTA! Loved it. Batista's return is just not clicking at all, and I think it's a bit like Jericho's return in '07 where going back to '06 Face Batista just doesn't work right now. The Chamber made me want Sheamus-Cesaro at WM. Sure, Swagger-Cesaro makes a bit more sense, but this would be a way better match. Northern Lights Muta Lock from Bryan ruled. I loved how long everyone lasted in this. The Chamber solidified Cesaro as a top-level guy. He made it to the final 4 and shined brightly constantly. This show made me feel good about the company's future, and it built up WM really well.

I love the fact I called the crowd turning on Batista only a few weeks after his debut and you guys were all like "naaah dude, he's was awesome before he left". Ya'll marks don't know shit. ;)

Really enjoyed the three main matches on the show. All for different reasons. The brogue kick through the pod was pretty damn cool, the crowd chanting "Pussy" as well. Also like the fact that the WWE can't hide behind the "Bizzaro land" argument.

All the bad booking decisions on this show and people are actually saying that the Usos-Outlaws feud should have ended after a week of Usos squashes? Come on. What would that have even done for the Usos? They're trying to give them that big win they didn't get off The Shield to legitimize them as a top-level team. This requires buildup.

gm_eddie_lesnar.jpg

Eddie held the secondary title. The big deal was Benoit beating Shawn and taking the title from HHH.

That's how it works.

Plus, that was mainly to setup Brock vs. Goldberg at Mania.

Eddie wasn't fighting the machine, chasing the title since July. Not the best example.

Also, for real, they're not doing Kane/Bryan at 'Mania. It's either Bryan in a three-way or he gets Helmsley and wins and then gets the belt a few months down the line, even if it's only for a few months. This really isn't bad booking. It's delayed gratification. They're basically acknowleding on TV he's the biggest babyface in the company. This is like RVD's quest to win the ECW title. However, it's very possible the end result will be similar.

I don't think WWE is going out of business in the next 12 months.

Very true. The issue is that delaying the payoff is a tricky thing. I mean, shit...they kept Sting away from the belt for over a year when th nWo were just destroying every babyface in the world. BTW - that is an example of a company dispiriting its fanbase. However, they got the huge payoff with Starrcade being their biggest event of all time. Now, they botched that, but everything up until the match was perfect.

I dunno, we live in a world where being a world champion really doesn't mean much. I mean, shit...Daniel Bryan is a 3 time heavyweight champion and fans still feel like he's being booked as a jobber. The company used to do a great job at building up to a title win. I mean, I would imagine boards like this would have flipped out when Austin was heating up, and they went with Sid and UT for the strap and put Bret and Austin in the undercard. Some people think Austin should have won it in the Fatal Fourway. Instead, they waited and built it up for an entire year and he got the belt and the company took off.

Shawn was clearly the best wrestler in the world in '95, but he had to wait a year before winning the belt.

Again, not saying that this'll turn out well but shit, what if they pull this out to SummerSlam and Bryan gets the belt there by beating Batista or Lesnar or whomever and they talk about the 'year-long Odyssey' and show the epic video package that makes it all look like a master narrative? Isn't there a very real chance that Bryan is never a over as he is now the second he gets an extended run? I mean, shit, everyone on the Internet kinda got over Punk's title run when it hit like the eighth month.

You bring up plenty of valid points. I think the difference now vs. Austin, Shawn and Sting is that the fans don't trust WWE to be able to keep Bryan hot enough for the eventual payoff. Also, one could argue that with each of the aforementioned three guys, you knew long ahead of time that each of them were going to get the title, especially Austin and Sting. After WrestleMania 13, it was pretty much go time with Austin and everyone knew Sting was going to be the guy to beat Hogan by Uncensored. I'm not sure WWE is booked that far in advance right now, so there's real concern from the fans that either Bryan won't get the payoff, or that he'll be presented in a way that he cools off way before he gets his big win.

Loved the show.  Easily worth the (hopefully) last pay-per-view buy I'll ever have to spend money on.

Big E - Swagger ruled.  My second favorite match of the night.  Both guys brought it.

I really enjoyed Uso-Outlaws for the story it told.  Well done again and the "make one mistake and the veterans will make you pay" really played out well.

Batista - ADR was obviously set up to protect Batista's cardio.  Not good.

What can I say about Wyatt - Shield?  The match was built up perfectly and played out perfectly.  Everyone looked great and it is exactly what wrestling should be all about.  

I enjoyed the Chamber match, too.  Ending was exactly what I thought it would be, although I did have that moment of "maybe it'll happen", which is always a good thing.  Not sure where they take Bryan next.  If we get Bryan-Kane at Mania I will be quite disappointed.  Bryan-HHH I could live with.  Bryan somehow credibly being worked into the main event (Vince?) would still make me giddy.

Looking forward to Raw and the final drive on the Road to Wrestlemania.

Awesome, awesome ppv. 

Nothing else more I can say about Wyatts/Shield that has already been said. I don't see anything, at least for me, topping that match this year. Everyone looked and played there parts perfectly. Rollins and Harper were the standouts but I loved hothead Ambrose.

Loved the Chamber match and it could be my favorite. Have to watch it with the others to see since only watched the others once but it seemed every bit as great as the two year mysterio run and the first Chamber. 

Cesaro looked great and they put him over strong. When it takes an AA on the steel grating and the stfu, you was put over manly. Hoping to see an extended match between him and Sheamus.

Shame on all of you for not mentioning Ricardo on Spanish commentary motioning towards Cole, JBL & Lawler's table during the Rollins spot, saying "Why not theirs?!"

I totally caught that, and lol'ed pretty loudly at that. Glad I'm not the only one.

I really thought that the Del Rio beating Batista with a crutch thing was the perfect way to get Batista out of the WM main. You have Alberto wail on Big Dave until the damn crutch breaks, have the doctor come out to check on Dave and then call the match off. Del Rio walks away all smug and shit and then BAM! Brock Lesnar's music hits. He and Heyman march down, scare off all the officials, Brock F5's Batista and puts him in the Kimura Lock, breaking his arm. Done. No more Batista at WM, plus you set up a Brock/Batista feud down the road.

I also thought the Divas match was a missed opportunity to debut somebody new. Hearing AJ go on about how there's no competition for her and she's beaten everybody in the back. If Sara Del Rey or Kong or someone like that had come out in response, that would have been tremendous. Oh, well.

Other than those quibbles, this was a great show.

It actually struck me during his backstage promo when he started doing the YES chant. I was like, "Shouldn't he be doing it one-handed, or at least grimacing a little?" I mean, it didn't take me out of it or anything, but I definitely noticed.

And the way Tamina was glancing at AJ during the promo, I almost thought she was going to be the challenger for a second.

Hats off to wpdougie2180 for being with me on the Bryan selling thing. Even if none of the rest of you are.

I agree with it but am long past the point of expecting people to have a consistent standard. Overlooking faults due to bias really isn't an issue when it comes to something like wrestling. Makes it easier to enjoy if anything.

HHH need to can on-air the equipment manager that responsible for the maintenance of the Elimination Chamber. The caulking on three of the plexi-shields was so dried out that they just popped right off. OSHA?

help these days,

RAF

I loved the spot where Cesaro did the European Uppercut onto the plexiglass with Seamus behind the covering and it didn't work!