DVDVR Message Board

The NXT Thread

rzombie1988

Alexander Rusev needs a name change and two of three things:

1. A Beyond Thunderdome haircut

2. A Demolition mask

3. Facepaint

I think he's a monster with a lot of potential, but I can't buy a monster named 'Alex.' Just call him Giant Rusev or King Rusev or Yokorusev. Something. Just not Alexander.

Man, I really dug that Rusev/Cassidy match. Like I knew I liked Cassidy in a charisma manner, but he reminds me a ton of Test, and I mean that in a good way. He's, tall, lanky, and he can make some basic stuff look really strong, like his high knee. And, as mentioned, he throws a fucking great punch.

Bo Dallas is fan-freaking-tastic in his current role. Just great.

"Are you here to get a cookie, Sami?" with JBL looking on sympathetically. That's the stuff. Insane goofball JBL fits into NXT so well.

I don't know how well Bo will translate to Raw (I'm thinking more Santino or 3MB than goofy Angle), but that cookie line may be one of favorite bits in a long time.

The Bo Dallas segment was so amazing. Bo and whoever else is behind this really found out what makes that character work. Has there ever been a heel like this before -- someone who thinks they're beloved and is completely ignorant to the pure vitriol the crowd has for him? The magic is that Bo hasn't heeled on the audience or in the ring yet. He's just so deluded. The cookie bit was terrific. JBL and Sami were also spot-on perfect as well. I loved Bo calling JBL "Mr. JBL" and just flat-out kissing his ass. Also, huge points to Sami's ridiculous ability to wear a Misfits T-Shirt in semi-formal wear.

Bo and Sami are such perfect opponents. Bo is so great at his phoniness. Sami comes off as such a natural. I can't remember a guy this natural sounding. Great foils.

Rusev vs. Cass was very solid. They've got something with both guys. I really liked how Cass had a chance but Rusev never looked short of being an absolute force. I liked Rusev using Cass's height against him with the ring post spot. The first Accolade was a really good escape. One of my all-time favorite matches is Stevie Richards vs. Sabu in ECW -- where Stevie is still seen as a joke going in against the wrestling world's biggest force of nature. You assume Sabu is going to kill him but Stevie holds his own and hits an insanely great Stevie-Kick that makes you think for one second he has performed an absolute miracle. Sabu kicked out and then won. I wish they had one spot like that in this. Rusev might not have that "This guy is unbeatable" vibe yet to really get that over, but it would have been nice. But still, this was very enjoyable.

Aaron Neville gave a coherent interview. It's nice and simple -- he can't worry about what happened to Graves, he just has to stay focused on tonight, and he's The Human Rollercoaster. That's all he needs.

Bailey's interview was great. She's such an awesome character and completely different from the usual diva archetype.

Kassius Ohno vs. Tyler Breeze was GREAT. What a very well put-together match. It was really good for the gimmick -- just sprint and try and steal a pin and get out of dodge. Hero must have really pissed someone off because he's a total ring general and made this super great. Not that Breeze isn't good, but it was pretty clear Ohno carried that thing. Very good match.

Hunico/Camacho vs. Whoever -- Very quick squash with a nonsensical interview to set up a feud with The Ascension. Whatevs.

Good Ohno interview where he mocks Lana. Seriously, what did that dude do?

Adrian Neville vs. Aiden English -- Another good match. English's best outing yet. This had some great storytelling of English getting more and more frustrated and the clock ticked down. He made a mistake by putting Neville to the top rope in hopes to hit something big. Very well done.

The Ascension promo is great in terms of the whole "What if wrestling was real life?" vein. "Man, we'd better set up the blacklight before Rik Viktor gets here!" "Karl, you play the Final Fantasy music!"

Sami/Leo -- You know those NFL Films "Fantastic Finish" shows? This would make the wrestling equivalent of those. Man, what a well-executed and terrific ending. The move itself made perfect sense with Sami getting a flash pin on Leo. The timing was impeccable. Great, great execution. Leo was awesome in this, too. I loved the spot where he was "hunting" Sami and realized it was taking too long and went for a pin.

A+ episode.

Tonight was the final NXT tapings of the year. The shows had some good matches along with some bad ones. Regal vs Cesaro was amazing as expected.

HHH started the show by welcoming everyone to the 200th episode of NXT. Pretty much out of character so I don't know if it will air.

First match was Sami Zayn and Tyson Kidd beating Leo Kruger and Antonio Cesaro. Good match to start the show. It's telling that Tyson was probably the 4th best guy in this match as last year, he was one of the best guys in NXT. Sami won with a big boot to Leo.

Paige beat Sasha Banks after Sasha accidentally hit Summer and Paige her her finisher. No Charlotte with Sasha and Summer at the tapings. I wonder if she's injured?

The American Pitbulls(Wolves) lost to the Ascension in a real good short match. The Wolves looked good and I gotta think they will be signed. Crowd was red hot for them too.

Bo Dallas retained the NXT title over Adrian Neville in a lumberjack match. This was good but kinda disappointing. Bo is still really hated but has started to get cheers from some. Earlier in the match, Neville slapped Tyler Breeze. Neville did a dive on the lumberjacks and when he tried to his his finisher, Breeze tripped him and Bo got the pin.

Week 2 featured the first of 2 Kofi Kingston vs Alexander Rusev matches. Rusev beat Kofi in the first after a distraction from Lana. the second match in week 4 was god awful that lasted way too long and Kofi got the win.

Emma beat Natalya to become number 1 contender for Paige's title. Another good divas match from Natalya vs the NXT divas. Natalya even did the Emma dance after the match.

Next was a Sing-off between Aiden English and Big Cas. Enzo Amore is out with a broken leg so Big Cas is by himself. I think they segment will make him a big star when it airs. English started off getting cheers and then Cas started singing. He was really good and then Aiden attacked him. Aiden was booed by the crowd after this.

Sami won a 2 out of 3 falls match over Kruger in 2 falls. Good match but I don't know where they go with Kruger after this. Can't remember the last time a 2/3 falls match ended in 2 falls.

Week 3 wasn't that good with Bayley beating Summer and the Ascension retaining the tag title over Hunico/Camacho in a texas tornado match.

Week four had Neville over Tyler Breeze in a good match, Bo Dallas beating Mojo Rawley and the outstanding Cesaro over William Regal match. Just a technical clinic with cesaro attacking Regal's knee and Regal going after the arm of Cesaro.

Next taping is January 9th with the Bellas and Miz.

Finally caught up to Sami vs Dallas for the title. 

Crowd was awesome during the last stretch. Loved the lady near the front row yelling and miming "PUSH HIM" when Sami and Bo were on the top.

The announcer who couldn't get a single move name right was absolutely HORRIBLE. Who is that? 

But, great heat in that match. Sami is the Ultimate face in peril. Love it!

2. A Demolition mask

3. Facepaint

I think he's a monster with a lot of potential, but I can't buy a monster named 'Alex.' Just call him Giant Rusev or King Rusev or Yokorusev. Something. Just not Alexander.

I opt for Attila.

I think Russev is perfect as is.  I mean, how can you not take a foreign monster named Alexander seriously?
karelin.gif

The only thing I'd change about Russev is the tights, they look too much like garbage bags for my liking.  I'd like to see him wear some Barbarian-style fur-lined tights, but that's just me.

42TheBarbarian_display_image.jpg

Imagine how awesome Russev would look going to the ring in this get-up?!  Tell me that wouldn't be awesome!

Russev-Cassady was a lot of fun.  Cassady needs to start wearing long pants with fringe like Kevin Nash, it would make him look just a bit bigger.  All the matches were perfectly fun little matches on this show, though, personally, I would've had Bo go to "help" Zayn and "accidentally" cost him the match, setting up Neville-Bo and letting Zayn chase a little bit longer.

Oh yeah, Rick Victor needs to shave his head or something, his ponytail is starting to reach Hogan-levels of beginning near the back of his head.  I actually think The Ascension would be a lot better if they were a threesome after they brainwash somebody interesting (Maybe after hiring back Ohno, or that British guy who fought Mason Ryan a week back...hell, even Ryan himself) and wrestled matches under 'Ascension Rules' where any two of them can defend the titles and then keep Victor as more of a manager.

• Like 1

Read something that Sami "Salomon Crowe" Cahlihan man already be headed up to the main roster as a tag team. I was hoping for some NXT time from him. But if HHH wants him on the main show already that's awesome. 

Has their been any Cahlihan/Bryan matches?

edit- I know I can't spell... I know.

2. A Demolition mask

3. Facepaint

is Crusher Rusev too close to an old name for a certain 80s superstar?

Not sure if this true but this was making the rounds on some 2K14 message boards I go to:

Leo Kruger has been repackaged as a "Pretty Boy wrestler" named Adam Rose

KDVJInm.jpg

that'd be a bummer, Leo's character had a unique quality I dug.

Unless this is setting him up to be Breeze's tag partner. That could have potential.

So I was bored and after reading the last page decided to watch last week's NXT and this week's show. God I wish Regal were commentating on RAW. He would breathe so much life into otherwise boring matches.

Bayley is so adorkable. She didi that promo on this past week's show where she puts up her dukes. I just could not stop laughing. Any one else it would look like the stupidest thing ever. But she pulls it off. She's like AJ except instead of being bipolar she's just sees the best in everyone. How can you not love her?

Aiden English might be my new favorite wrestler. The singing entrance is brilliant and Regal had me in stiches with his fawning over him.

And Bo Dallas. I had my doubts about him having a personality, but his Homecoming was tremendous.

YOU GET A COOKIE. YOU GET A COOKIE. GIVE THAT MAN A COOKIE. EVERYONE GETS A COOKIE.

He is so great in his delusional view of the world.

• Like 1

The one thing that bugs me the most about Bo is that he doesn't go nuts about how the No chants are really Bo chants.

I also want him to turn "Ole! Ole! Ole!" chants with him going "See? They're singing my name: Bo-lay! Bo-lay! Bo-lay!"

So I was bored.. decided to watch last week's NXT and this week's show.

Bayley is so adorkable. She didi that promo on this past week's show where she puts up her dukes. I just could not stop laughing. Any one else it would look like the stupidest thing ever. But she pulls it off. She's like AJ except instead of being bipolar she's just sees the best in everyone. How can you not love her?

Aiden English might be my new favorite wrestler. The singing entrance is brilliant and Regal had me in stiches with his fawning over him.

And Bo Dallas. I had my doubts about him having a personality, but his Homecoming was tremendous.

I just watched the last two weeks too & pretty much came here to say exactly what you said about Bayley. Although I also wanted to shit on Alexander Rusev, but he seems to be getting some praise. So I guess I'll take a more wait-and-see approach to see if he improves. He turns 28 on Christmas, so I guess he's still got plenty of time.

I was also surprised at how over Sami Zayn was.

These NXT presentation skills things are still getting uploaded, so here's more Bayley for the thread.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17kmun_bayley-nxt-presentation-skills-19-11-2013_sport

In my ideal world, this would just be shown on next week's Smackdown, and then booked from there -

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17kpt5_yoshi-tatsu-presentation-skills-19-11-2013_sport

There's other good stuff, I liked Bull Dempsey, Leah Van Dale and Simon Gotch ones especially. Oliver Grey was just absurd and it seems Kalisto is some kind of nightclub stage dancer.

Not sure if this true but this was making the rounds on some 2K14 message boards I go to:

Leo Kruger has been repackaged as a "Pretty Boy wrestler" named Adam Rose

KDVJInm.jpg

Fuck that. Kruger is awesome right now and has been for a while. I hated his foreign royalty gimmick but his crazed hunter stuff with the Brody HOO HOOing rules.