DVDVR Message Board

RAW 2-10-14

RIPPA

I doubt in Chicago they do anything to acknowledge the chants if the situation remains as is. Probably open with Daniel Bryan or someone similar who'll make them forget. They might have HHH make one vague remark but given they have yet to berate him on air, I doubt they do much then.

I kinda thought of the Phil/Eric SC-Podcast jokes from 2010ish about EVOLVE's rumored-bureaucratic format when Ambrose talked about the paperwork needed for US title defenses

obviously Ambrose can't just defend his title against anybody, only against people who are at least GS-5

• Like 1

I doubt in Chicago they do anything to acknowledge the chants if the situation remains as is. Probably open with Daniel Bryan or someone similar who'll make them forget. They might have HHH make one vague remark but given they have yet to berate him on air, I doubt they do much then.

I have the feeling Chicago is going to shit on a three hour television show...the entire three hours. The best thing the company can do is take it's lumps in silence and just deal. However, since this is the WWE they'll open with HHH, have him make some off hand remark about the situation, do his cry baby thing again, and let the talent take the lumps for it all night. We'll see I guess.

So apparently the 2/24 Raw is going to be a big one, with rumors of Hogan and Taker returning and whatever else to hype the Network. 

You figure that the following Monday is still going to be a sort of important show for them. I think that maybe they should go the opposite way that Ramsey suggested. It should feel like one of those old Canada shows where everything is Bizarro World. Those shows may not get across the talking points that WWE want them to but they always feel energetic and exciting and IMPORTANT. They're always worth watching. I think that might draw curious viewers in. 

It's a risk but this is a time to take risks. 

It's a risk but this is a time to take risks. 

I don't think THAT Vince McMahon is around anymore. I could be wrong...

It's a strange time. In some ways the WWE is more self-aware than ever when it comes to their history and the history of the industry, to understanding certain trends and injokes and predicting crowds. In some ways, they're still as backwards as ever. I think that's what a lot of the debate here has been over the last few months. How proactive are they? How reactive are they? How reactionary are they? I don't think something like the Raw after Mania from last year could have happened in years past. 

Agreed. On one hand, WWE has to be thrilled that its fans are taking such an interest in the product. On the other hand, they have less control over fan interest than ever before. And the more they try control it, the more the fans revolt against their decision making.

Why is Cesaro getting over as a face? Is it because he's a particularly effective heel? No. Is it because he cuts great promos? No. It's because he's recognized by the fans as a standout performer even if creative isn't behind him.

It's jarring when the NWO aren't on the other network? They do a really good job of not having guys do that too much these days that it stands out? We just know better now and a lot of us are a bit more vested in old territories than we used to be and have a lot more wrestling watching under our belts? They're edging towards 50 now? 

I agree with all of that but what does any of this have to do with The Outlaws still being The Outlaws? Did anyone expect them to come in and change up the gimmick? I find it crazier that the crowd still eats it up than them performing the same routine they were 15 years ago.

Why is Cesaro getting over as a face? Is it because he's a particularly effective heel? No. Is it because he cuts great promos? No. It's because he's recognized by the fans as a standout performer even if creative isn't behind him.

I think it has lot more to do with the giant swing than anything else.

• Like 1

Oh man, what I wouldn't give to see so many more of those videos...

There is actually a really long video full of that stuff from around the end of the attitude era.

Yeah, I've seen that. But that was when Michael Cole still had a soul. I wanna hear jaded, cynical, "I've been in the shit, kid" Michael Cole express his disdain for the audience.

• Like 1

You think WWE could sign Kevin Steen and a couple other ROHers for a night and just have them maul one another? That'll keep Chicago busy.

I think they look at Steen, say "We already tried Super Porky" and move on.

• Like 3

You think WWE could sign Kevin Steen and a couple other ROHers for a night and just have them maul one another? That'll keep Chicago busy.

There is absolutely nothing they can do about Chicago.  Punk's been building that hometown crowd mystique for over 10 years now (more successfully than anyone else in wrestling over that time frame).  The WWE themselves have built feuds around it for at least the last few.  He is Bret in Canada.

They could throw Bryan and Cesaro out there for an hour and I bet they still chant for Punk the entire time.

• Like 1

There is absolutely nothing they can do about Chicago.  Punk's been building that hometown crowd mystique for over 10 years now (more successfully than anyone else in wrestling over that time frame).  The WWE themselves have built feuds around it for at least the last few.  He is Bret in Canada.

They could throw Bryan and Cesaro out there for an hour and I bet they still chant for Punk the entire time.

BINGO! Punk is INSANELY over in Chicago, to the point where non-wrestling fans are catching on to who the dude is.

It's one of the best aspects of Punk the performer.  He is able to draw importance out of ideas like "home field advantage" and what not.  Punk/Cena is obviously the best example of this, but he was doing it way back when in ROH with Samoa Joe and Jimmy Rave etc etc.