DVDVR Message Board

RAW 2-10-14

RIPPA

Take a look at that again. There's a moment before Rollins goes over to get the mic that the ref is talking to him and Reigns. I'm pretty certain someone in the back told the ref to tell him to do that.

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!!!!

I watched Raw last night, for the first time in recent memory.  

Things that never change: 

-Triple H still cuts an endless opening promo and verbally buries a popular younger star.  

-Kane still gets questionable-at-best changes to his character, costume, haircut, and general gimmick at the drop of a hat... and he still somehow makes it work every time.  

-Mark Henry is still eternally returning from whatever kept him on the shelf most recently.  

-Vince still has an inexplicable love for swamp-assed hillbillies.  

-Billy Gunn's ass is still not funny in any context.  

-The US title is still being booked like they forgot it exists.  

-Batista is still pretty damn clumsy for being an "athlete".

-And he's still better than the majority of the Divas, who are still anorexic and implanted and can't wrestle their way out of a pre-biodegraded paper bag.  

-A celebrity is still guest-hosting Raw and getting one over on the wrestlers. 

-Betty White is still old.  

-The company in general still refuses to listen to its fans and insists that the fans must enjoy who they are told to enjoy.

-Daniel Bryan continues to be the greatest man alive, seeing as how he totally called Triple H on his own self-booked plot hole ("Hey, remember when Randy was pretty much raping your wife right in front of you?  ...no, seriously, you should really remember that, I am concerned for your health, time for a catscan!")

-John Cena STILL wrestles in the main event, STILLLL has Randy Orton as his nemesis, and STILLLLLLLLLLLLL manages to shake off the nastiest-looking DDTs and beat you with a glorified rear chinlock.  

-Fucking Lawler and motherfucking Michael Cole and auntfingering JBL are still our announce team.  

...what year is this again?  

• Like 6

Hi Team!

1. Okay maybe this doesn't belong here, but I know where "Mizark" came from in the DX-Nation parody.  But what in the heck does it actually mean?  Seriously, what the heck is a Mizark?
  2. You know, lost in how much well-earned praise Cesaro gets, Jack Swagger has really picked up his game in recent weeks.  His transitions to the Patriot Lock have been super interesting lately with it coming out of a variety of throws and rolls.  His timing seems better and he's seemingly much quicker now than he was a year ago.  Its funny that he won the Elimination Chamber a year ago, was roundly wrote off because it came way too soon, and is now in a much better place in ring with none of the push.
  3. Sweet mercy, Bray's running Sister Abby was the knees of the bees (with royale with cheese)
  4. Seth Rollins is my favorite Shield member.  Like he gets it.  His execution is not always there on stuff like promos and the like but his instincts are spot on.
  • Like 1

Take a look at that again. There's a moment before Rollins goes over to get the mic that the ref is talking to him and Reigns. I'm pretty certain someone in the back told the ref to tell him to do that.

IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!!!!

The other story being Henry's choice cornerpost spots.  When you are the World's Strongest Man, less is more.  Mizark should just be pushing guys' heads into turnbuckles until they break like grapes.

• Like 1

1. Okay maybe this doesn't belong here, but I know where "Mizark" came from in the DX-Nation parody.  But what in the heck does it actually mean?  Seriously, what the heck is a Mizark?

Carny lingo that somehow got morphed into 90's rhyming slang.  When "Playground" by Another Bad Creation came out,  all guys named Mark suddenly became Mizark because of a lyric in that track. ("It's the Mizark chillin' in the pizark but I gotta break because my momma said "Be home by dizark.")

• Like 4

I'm a total sucker for "That's the man you want to be and the man your ladies want to be with" heel mockery. I prefer heels bragging about how much more money they have/better class of human they are compared to the slobs in the seats. But any and all trumps "I HATE YOUR LOCAL SPORTS TEAMS!" stuff.

Speaking of carny speak, do they use it when calling spots at all anymore? Some of the old timers I know tell me that "back in the day" carny was used in ring so even if someone did catch them calling a spot, it wouldn't be recognizable. I think Botchmania has proved that stealthily calling spots is a dying art.

I watched Raw last night, for the first time in recent memory.  

Things that never change: 

-Kane still gets questionable-at-best changes to his character, costume, haircut, and general gimmick at the drop of a hat... and he still somehow makes it work every time. 

-Vince still has an inexplicable love for swamp-assed hillbillies.

-Batista is still pretty damn clumsy for being an "athlete".

-And he's still better than the majority of the Divas, who are still anorexic and implanted and can't wrestle their way out of a pre-biodegraded paper bag.  

-A celebrity is still guest-hosting Raw and getting one over on the wrestlers. 

-Betty White is still old.  

-John Cena STILL wrestles in the main event, STILLLL has Randy Orton as his nemesis, and STILLLLLLLLLLLLL manages to shake off the nastiest-looking DDTs and beat you with a glorified rear chinlock.  

...what year is this again?  

I edited out the stuff I had no comment on because I had nothing to add.  I've also 'discovered' the bullet point button.

•  A while ago I said The Ultimate Warrior was the most underrated guy ever mostly because the vast majority of people think he totally sucks and he doesn't suck quite as bad as people think.  Kane is next on that list but has been gaining more respect as time goes by.  Here is a guy who does every stupid thing he is asked to do, gets it over and continues to roll on.  People acted like Team Hell No was a punishment for Daniel Bryant but Kane gets every team he is in gets over regardless.
  • Those swamp ass hillbillies are great.  And honestly, they have way more in common with Kevin Sullivan's Florida cult with The Purple Haze and Bob Roop than with Hillbilly Jim or Henry O. Godwin.
  • Lots of clumsy guys are really successful workers.  There is that John Cena guy.  "It's not ballet BAH GAWD!"
  • Aksana isn't skinny.  AJ is really the skinniest of the lot but she's by far also the smallest to begin with.  Your mileage may vary regarding the divas particular talents but I would say they as a unit have a few good workers people don't recognize.  Alicia Fox has gotten much better since she stopped trying to kill people with the ax kick for instance.
  • I would hope Bette White would still be old otherwise she would be dead.  Unless her real name is Bette Button?  i will check with Dave Meltzer.  And she out tricked two heels.  Its not like she hit them with a steel chair and stood over their battered bodies while spraying Muta mist into the sky.
  • I really found the glorified chinlock thing weird first off because he won with the glorified fireman's carry.  And the one time a chinlock won a fall in the last 20 years it was awesome (Antonio/Zain btw).  And every finisher is a glorified something or other.  Glorified flying knee.  Glorified short-arm clothesline.  Glorified elbow with a spin before hand.  If they weren't glorified, they wouldn't be over finishes.  Should Cena be busting out Steiner Screwdrivers?  Canadian Destroyers?  I don't get it.

It's like Bray saw my post in the SmackDown thread about the slow motion Sister Abigail and was like "OH YEAH?!?"

I LOVE impromptu seeming, out of nowhere finishers.  I kind of hate how the WWE basically turned match finishes to, mug at the camera, do some sort of over the top mannerism, and then hit your finisher.  The catch a speeding luchador version of the Sister Abigail was awesome.  I've always hated that move, but somehow Bray makes it look painful.  I don't know if it's his size, the dip, or the prospect of being wedged in a chubby man's armpit, but of all of the downward spiral, complete shot, flatliner type moves his is the best. 

I want to see a Sheamus/Cesaro fued right now.  If they want to push Cesaro, and they should, have him go over Sheamus in a who can kick the most ass fued.  I think the two of them have the ability to work well enough to keep the matches interesting, and if done right, whoever comes out on top will be looked at like a threat to anyone on the roster. 

Am I the only one who thinks the tag division is carrying the roster?  Other than Orton/Cena, the best matches were the Real Americans/Christian Sheamus, Wyatts against the Rhodes + Rey, and a fun showcase for the Usos.  Why the hell are the New Age Outlaws holding the belts?  Between The Shield, The Wyatts, The Rhodes Brothers, The Usos, and The Real Americans who made the awful decision to give the belts to the old guys who weren't ever that good to begin with? 

Cena/Orton was fun, but as much as I don't like Orton as the champion, having him loose over and over again seems a little idiotic.  I don't understand the story they are trying to tell.  Are they saying that Orton is an undeserving champion, that can only win because he is in management's pocket?  If that is the case, why is he fueding with The Authority. 

Is the Titus interview from the App last night posted anywhere? That was a fun one too.

• Okay maybe this doesn't belong here, but I know where "Mizark" came from in the DX-Nation parody.  But what in the heck does it actually mean?  Seriously, what the heck is a Mizark?

Carny lingo that somehow got morphed into 90's rhyming slang.  When "Playground" by Another Bad Creation came out,  all guys named Mark suddenly became Mizark because of a lyric in that track. ("It's the Mizark chillin' in the pizark but I gotta break because my momma said "Be home by dizark.")

Better than being called "marky mark" by all the 30 and 40 year old white guys at work.

I think Luke Harper might have some of the best crazy eyes in wrestling history. They're like tiny black holes.

This show kinda of lost me when they announced that main event. I knew it was coming but still. That combined with DBryan not working made this a very FFable show.

I didn't know Betty White had a prank show. I thought the NOA just wanted to double team an unconscious elderly woman. By the way the NAO t-shirt is a ducking abomination. I support the sterilization of anyone wearing that shirt in public.

• Like 1

It's like Bray saw my post in the SmackDown thread about the slow motion Sister Abigail and was like "OH YEAH?!?"

I LOVE impromptu seeming, out of nowhere finishers.  I kind of hate how the WWE basically turned match finishes to, mug at the camera, do some sort of over the top mannerism, and then hit your finisher.  The catch a speeding luchador version of the Sister Abigail was awesome.  I've always hated that move, but somehow Bray makes it look painful.  I don't know if it's his size, the dip, or the prospect of being wedged in a chubby man's armpit, but of all of the downward spiral, complete shot, flatliner type moves his is the best. 

Honestly WWE is more like do the big lead up to your finish, miss your finish, then hit your finish out of nowhere.  Unless you are Curtis Axel, the big lead in almost always gets countered. 

Speaking of carny speak, do they use it when calling spots at all anymore? Some of the old timers I know tell me that "back in the day" carny was used in ring so even if someone did catch them calling a spot, it wouldn't be recognizable. 

I've never heard of it being used like that, but I wouldn't call shenanigans on the whole idea.  Wrestlers were awfully damn paranoid about kayfabe back in the day.  I don't think you'd really need to ever use carny while calling, unless you're in front of a dead-silent crowd.  The ambient sound from any respectable number of non-old-Japanese people in the audience will handily cover up even the laziest of callers.  

Calling in the ring is an acquired skill.  It's kinda tough, you've gotta learn how to be all like "SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP, YOU STUPID REDNECKS!  Okay, shoot me in, dropdown leapfrog dropkick.  THERE'S NO WAY, BABY, I GOT THIS I GOT THIS!"  And I could only imagine how awful it must be to have to call spots in front of HD cameras that are zoomed in on your face at all times.  

• Those swamp ass hillbillies are great.  And honestly, they have way more in common with Kevin Sullivan's Florida cult with The Purple Haze and Bob Roop than with Hillbilly Jim or Henry O. Godwin.

Yeah, they are indeed great, I never said otherwise.  I was pleasantly surprised, I'd heard about the gimmick and it sounded goofy and stupid; but upon finally seeing it, sheeyit, this is the heel stable I've been waiting for.  It's like Waylon Mercy was merely John the Baptist, heralding the coming of those who are on their way.  

• Lots of clumsy guys are really successful workers.  There is that John Cena guy.  "It's not ballet BAH GAWD!"

So?  Doesn't mean I have to like it.  The Twilight movies also fit the definition of "really successful", and I still wouldn't hesitate before ripping that one its six billionth new asshole.  And is the best guy to illustrate your point the one guy who regularly gets booed out of the building because so many fans think he's not good at his job?  

• I would hope Bette White would still be old otherwise she would be dead.  Unless her real name is Bette Button?  i will check with Dave Meltzer.  And she out tricked two heels.  Its not like she hit them with a steel chair and stood over their battered bodies while spraying Muta mist into the sky.

It's still pointless, because it led nowhere and did nothing.  It made the Outlaws look like the most gullible of morons, and it's not like Billy can jump her next week and get his heat back or anything.  I've never been much of a fan of outside celebrities interacting with wrestlers anyway, it rarely works out and it usually gives me the implication that the rasslers are small-time chumps who are lucky to get the chance to rub elbows with a real star.  

• I really found the glorified chinlock thing weird first off because he won with the glorified fireman's carry.  And the one time a chinlock won a fall in the last 20 years it was awesome (Antonio/Zain btw).  And every finisher is a glorified something or other.  Glorified flying knee.  Glorified short-arm clothesline.  Glorified elbow with a spin before hand.  If they weren't glorified, they wouldn't be over finishes.  Should Cena be busting out Steiner Screwdrivers?  Canadian Destroyers?  I don't get it.

It would be helpful if the finish looked like it might hurt.  Way too much of Cena's offense does not, including his finishers.  He never applies the STF right, and with his thick short arms he probably shouldn't even be using that hold; sometimes you can see him struggling to get into something approximating the right position.  It's not what you do, it's how you do it; and I've never liked how Cena does it.  

Who's the fifth best guy in the WWE. I feel pretty good about (in no order) Harper, Goldust, Bryan, and Cesaro being 1-4, but then it gets a bit blurred. 

I feel like you have to put a Shield guy in the top 5.  Rollins is my pick.  

It would be helpful if the finish looked like it might hurt.  Way too much of Cena's offense does not, including his finishers.  He never applies the STF right, and with his huge thick short arms he probably shouldn't even be using that hold; sometimes you can see him struggling to get into something approximating the right position.  It's not what you do, it's how you do it; and I've never liked how Cena does it.  

This doesn't matter at all. It's not what you do. It's not how you do it. It's how they present what you do. There isn't a person in the crowd who doesn't think a match can realistically end with a FU. It'll get a pop every time, and while people MIGHT expect a kick out on the first one in certain matches, everyone in that crowd will count along after it. Wrestling is fake. It's just about training the crowd to react to a move. The move could be sweet shin music. It doesn't matter. 

No idea why the Outlaws hold the belts. Probably for the same reason they're heels and doing face introductions before their matches.

I'm guessing it's because they wanted to get the tag belts from the Rhodes Boys to the Usos without having the Rhodes drop them to the Usos? I don't know either. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I guess because the Outlaws came out & were still over? Never can tell what Vince is thinking.

I know the last thing we need are The Outlaws doing shitty "comedy" skits. Pun intended.