DVDVR Message Board

RAW 2-10-14

RIPPA

This doesn't matter at all. It's not what you do. It's not how you do it. It's how they present what you do. There isn't a person in the crowd who doesn't think a match can realistically end with a FU. It'll get a pop every time, and while people MIGHT expect a kick out on the first one in certain matches, everyone in that crowd will count along after it. Wrestling is fake. It's just about training the crowd to react to a move. The move could be sweet shin music. It doesn't matter. 

So aesthetics and craftsmanship don't matter?  I'm not talking about what other people think.  Couldn't give less of a shit about that, I've got free will and my own opinions.  I'm talking about my own view of how he stylistically executes his offense.  And I think lots of his shit looks like, well, shit.  Never been much of a fan of his (aside from about a dozen Cena matches which I do really love), and no amount of talking about his popularity is gonna peer-pressure me into thinking his airball offense is entertaining to myself.  

Big E. didn't even make the show last night. :( I'm not sure what happened with him. I thought he was going to get a super push but I guess the timing isn't right. I would not be surprised to see Reigns win the U.S. title from Ambrose, then Reigns beat Big E. in the Unification match. Since there's a lot going on up top & WWE wants to rocket Reigns, I imagine that will be the pecking order. Still behind guys like Brock & Cena but will be above the other mid-carders.

Should be fun though! I don't dislike Cena but he's been on top way too long. I do, however, dislike guys like Orton & Del Rio. So seeing newer faces like Cesaro, Wyatt & Reigns rising up would be a welcome change. I have definitely come around on Harper too but I have no idea how he would fly without the Wyatt Family stable & WWE does not have a great track record of keeping groups together for too long. I also quite like Fandango.

The women seem better too. AJ Lee is good. Brie Bella (I think it's Brie, the skinnier one that's dating Bryan) has gotten a lot better. Emma just got called up. Paige can still be called up. Summer is pretty good. Naomi is pretty athletic.

Watching NXT, I see a lot of improvement in Camacho too. And Hunico never sucked.

I'm continuing to find it odd that people have a problem with the outlaws cutting face promos in 2014. They were doing the same thing 15 years ago. They've always been faces or "cool" heels.

Why is it odd? We have years of retrospect to look back at how damaging promos like that were in the long term. 

It's jarring when the NWO aren't on the other network? They do a really good job of not having guys do that too much these days that it stands out? We just know better now and a lot of us are a bit more vested in old territories than we used to be and have a lot more wrestling watching under our belts? They're edging towards 50 now? 

Watched The Wyatt Family vs. Goldust/Cody Rhodes/Rey Mysterio, a very good match with a great finish. Liking Wyatt hiting Sister Abigail from various ways. Also watched Christian/Sheamus vs. The Real Americans, love the reaction the crowd gave to Cesaro, he so deserves better. Highlight of the show was the stare down between The Wyatt Family and The Shield. Big expectations for the match at the Elimination Chamber PPV because of who's involved and the perfect build so far to it.

Who's the fifth best guy in the WWE. I feel pretty good about (in no order) Harper, Goldust, Bryan, and Cesaro being 1-4, but then it gets a bit blurred. 

Brock. I'd put him in the top four you mentioned ahead of Goldust, personally.

There's nothing wrong with the Outlaws cutting face promos if they are faces. The whole Outlaws thing is a whacky loose end. They turned them heel to have a dramatic moment with Punk and to align them with the authority. Now Punk is gone and the Outlaws are one of half a dozen performers loosely affiliated with the Authority. This affiliation, which has been largely dropped, is likely why they were given the title in the first place.  

Now that Punk is gone, and the Authority hasn't used the Outlaws in a while, what you end up with is a face nostalgia act parading as heels, holding onto belts which have arguably become the second most important in the company.

My roommate asked me why Billy was allowed to wear shorts that looked ridiculous. I said "because he's the ass man" she asked what that meant..."well he loves to love them, he loves to watch them..."

Do... do you live with every nerd's fake Canadian girlfriend?

• Like 4

Who's the fifth best guy in the WWE. I feel pretty good about (in no order) Harper, Goldust, Bryan, and Cesaro being 1-4, but then it gets a bit blurred. 

Brock's an interesting case. It's really hard for me to judge him since we don't see him on a weekly basis like the other guys. We know what Cesaro would do against Kofi or during a heel control tag segment or in a near squash scenario on NXT. With Brock we just get glimpses. 

As for the outlaws, I think they were sort of valid in late 97 as a poor man's PG-13 when they were presented as mainly annoying.

BROCK!  Yeah, I have no problem putting Brock and Bryan at the top and then creating a 2nd tier for the other guys.  Can't believe I forgot him.

Brock's an interesting case. It's really hard for me to judge him since we don't see him on a weekly basis like the other guys. We know what Cesaro would do against Kofi or during a heel control tag segment or in a near squash scenario on NXT. With Brock we just get glimpses. 

Who needs to know that stuff?  Brock smash and Brock smash well.