DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

For Ryback, I had figured they were going to head to a Ryback vs The Shield match at Mania. Ryback had been screwed so many times by The Shield, I could've seen him asking for a match against all of them in a gauntlet match. The Shield were undefeated at the time, and my fantasy booking had him beating Ambrose and Rollins before finally getting beat by Reigns. Makes Ryback still look strong, but technically The Shield wins in the end and stays undefeated. Instead, he gets dropped in to a last minute feud with Mark Henry and losing on a fluke pin, and that's when his push and overall mystique really ended.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Forgive me if I've posed this before, but what if Mr. Kennedy doesn't piss of Randy Orton in his first match back and get let go immediately? He was over and looked to be positioned for a pretty strong run. Would his attitude still have gotten him shoved out the door sooner or later? I feel like he'd have had at least a cup of coffee World Title run, and if he could have stayed out of the soul-crushing void that was TNA he might have gotten his head screwed on straight at some point.

Wasn't the whole Orton got him fired thing just internet rumours with no basis in fact? I'm sure that his firing was more of a bringing the company into disrepute deal, due to his love of getting himself booked on mainstream media news shows and talking a load of bollocks. That and, generally if the office dislikes someone and the locker room also dislikes them, they disappear pretty quickly. Bagwell, Enzo & Cass being the obvious examples.

People who the locker room disliked but the office did, they stick around, like Miz. Liked in the locker room but disliked by the office...  harder to say, because they'd just fire anyone they properly disliked. But probably anyone who's a good worker that never gets a push could be argued.

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wasn't the whole Orton got him fired thing just internet rumours with no basis in fact? I'm sure that his firing was more of a bringing the company into disrepute deal, due to his love of getting himself booked on mainstream media news shows and talking a load of bollocks. That and, generally if the office dislikes someone and the locker room also dislikes them, they disappear pretty quickly. Bagwell, Enzo & Cass being the obvious examples.

The way I remember it, he returned from injury in the main event of Raw and was positioned to go after the title, then by the end of the week he was gone. I can't see him getting put in that Raw main event if management was soured on him. I'm sure he was in the process of alienating them, but I feel like he must have had some boosters, otherwise they'd have just kept him off tv.

He's said the Orton thing was the last straw that led to his release, following his media rounds, wellness suspension, injuries, etc.

I didn't care much for him then, but thought his first year in Impact was really good and he seemed totally rejuvenated for awhile there.

2 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

He's said the Orton thing was the last straw that led to his release, following his media rounds, wellness suspension, injuries, etc.

I didn't care much for him then, but thought his first year in Impact was really good and he seemed totally rejuvenated for awhile there.

Breaking the first rule of pro wrestling etiquette and caught on tape doing it. Never wear your own shirt in public!  God, Ken really is an asshole

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Hayes had IT. 1 of the most underrated guys ever imo. I don’t have all of those dates organized in my head but I think the original Von Erichs/Freebirds feud goes unaffected. Then obviously the second feud doesn’t happen. Unfortunately I don’t know if much changes for the Von Erichs. The territory perhaps dries up without even being salvaged for that short while with Jarrett without the second Freebirds feud to keep it alive. 

Piper was great but when he lost it in the ring it was a pretty drastic change, not like some of the others from his mold who slowly lost it and worked around it. I could see his career being similar to most guys like him who didn’t get the break in the WWF. A WCW life in limbo, a guy who bounced around, who knows. He’s the wildcard in this what if. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

Also I don’t think “fire” is the thing that Bret didn’t have that kept him from wrestling in the NWA or WCW. He might have lacked fire in some situations, but only because he knew a trash heap when he saw one and he just flat out wasn’t 1 to work under disorganized circumstances. The 1 exception is obviously WCW at the end but that didn’t exactly last and that was a desperate reach anyway, and his last. I loved the NWA but on it’s best day it was never as organized as the WWF. And WCW lol yeah right. 

5 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Michael Hayes had IT. 1 of the most underrated guys ever imo. I don’t have all of those dates organized in my head but I think the original Von Erichs/Freebirds feud goes unaffected. Then obviously the second feud doesn’t happen. Unfortunately I don’t know if much changes for the Von Erichs. The territory perhaps dries up without even being salvaged for that short while with Jarrett without the second Freebirds feud to keep it alive. 

Piper was great but when he lost it in the ring it was a pretty drastic change, not like some of the others from his mold who slowly lost it and worked around it. I could see his career being similar to most guys like him who didn’t get the break in the WWF. A WCW life in limbo, a guy who bounced around, who knows. He’s the wildcard in this what if. 

The problem with that is that when you consider how things go in the early-national WWF, Q rating also matters as much as talent would have.

Michael Hayes may have had IT to be a big star in WWF if they stayed, but Roddy Piper was pretty similar in having the ability to talk fans into interest, but also had slightly more Q rating than Hayes did at the time (even if it was because "a lot of famous people were Piper fans.") It seems likely that Piper sells Mania 1, but the Freebirds vs. Hogan/Orndorff/a random celebrity main events Los Angeles for Mania 2.

• 1 month later...

What if...Vince had the idea to do the Attitude Era 13 years earlier?

Ravishing Rick Rude:  Cut the music!  What I'd like to have right now, is for all you fat, micro dick *bleep*, SHUT THE *bleep* UP while I take my robe off and let the ladies see the body they'll be fantasizing about tonight as you slide your three inch cocks into their dry holes and blow your load in less than 30 seconds!  Hit the music!

---------------------------------

When Bobby Heenan and the Islanders kidnapped Matilda, instead of giving her back several weeks later, Bobby would invite Mean Gene to Tonga and reveal that the Islanders cooked and ate Matilda!

The British Bulldogs would be retooled into a pair of racist, mysoginistic soccer hooligans modeled after Gary Oldman's character in The Firm.

Bad News Brown would be a black militant who would feud with Junk Yard Dog and claim that JYD was an Uncle Tom, cut promos calling out and insulting interracial couples in the audience, and when Koko B. Ware started dying his hair to match his tights, he'd attack Koko for "abandoning his cultural heritage."

--------------------------------

The Jake Roberts/Rick Rude feud would see Cheryl turning heel and revealing that she actually did have an affair with Rude.

--------------------------------

Demolition would shoot an angle where they refuse to remove their spiked ring masks before a match with Strike Force, and use their costumes to turn Tito and Martel into a bloody mess.

-------------------------------

Slick would be portrayed as an actual, working pimp, predating the Godfather by over a decade, bringing his stable of hos with him to the ring.  The Twin Towers vs. Megapowers feud would include a match stip where Elizabeth has to join Slick's stable if Hogan/Savage lose, and there would be a WWF Special Report where Mean Gene and a camera crew follow Slick as he takes Elizabeth to some low rent fashion boutiques and forces her to get a slutty makeover. 

------------------------------

Jack Tunney would be on every episode, a corrupt, power mad WWF president who feuded with Hogan and constantly signed improptu matches.

Edited by Southside Jim
  • Like 2

The Edge/Lita/Matt triangle starts early as Bobby Heenan replaces The Red Rooster with the Brooklyn Brawler, who gets outed as being Steve Lombardi, Pat Patterson's SHOOT lover.

Liz making the save for Savage is instead Gorilla making the save for Bobby from an attack at the hands of Patterson, Lombardi and the Cis Rooster.

Gorilla and Bobby wed at Summerslam. 

19 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

The Heidenreich and Michael Cole poems are done by a recently released from prison Ken Patera and Craig DeGeorge.

Mr T is a heavy favourite to win the Brawl For All after Rocky 3 and build him up as a Hogan opponent. He gets knocked the fuck out by Tiger Chung Lee.

I'd love for someone to do a 1980s Brawl For All bracket. Just pick a random year from the WWF and use that roster to create a BFA.

For some other What Ifs: What if La Parka realized Pentagon was injured in their match in 1996?

Pentagon gets a neck injury from a back body drop. La Parka doesn't realize it and makes the injury worse until the ref pulls La Parka off. Pentagon nearly dies, the medics revive him. Pentagon's career is ended in an instant- and because of how AAA treated it, all of Pentagon's relatives instantly jump to CMLL and refuse to ever work for AAA again.

Cut to the modern day and your potential changes: This stuff doesn't occur, presumably Pentagon's family are still willing to work in AAA. Years down the line, when Octagon Jr. makes his debut and needs a rival, then lucha libre nepotism would mean that when giving the Pentagon Jr. gimmick to someone, that'd mean preferential treatment for who gets the gimmick goes to Pentagon and his family. As is also common in lucha libre, it's pretty easy to figure that, when giving the gimmick, the family chooses to bypass giving the gimmick to Pentagon I's son and instead give it to the best prospect in the family,  his nephew, Brillante Jr. (La Sombra/Andrade.)

End result of that: Los Ingobernables does not form in CMLL (and because of that, Los Ingobernables de Japon does not form in New Japan either.) Dark Dragon misses out on getting the Pentagon Jr. gimmick, so the Lucha Bros remain AAA midcarders. MAYBE Fenix or Dark Dragon get picked up for Lucha Underground, but it's much less of a slam dunk that they do...and even if they do, Dark Dragon does not become the breakout star of Lucha Underground (meaning the Lucha Bros don't get the buzz they get in America enough to also be big parts of the indies and then AEW), and presumably 'Pentagon Jr." remains the breakout star of Lucha Underground, and thus it's far harder for WWE to lock up Andrade (and if they do eventually get him, it's far after his signing then and he's a much different performer.)

• Like 1

What if, instead of World of Sport getting cancelled in 1988 and the World Wrestling Federation becoming the biggest promotion in the UK... the WWF's tv deals were cancelled in 1988 and World of Sport became the biggest promotion in America?

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Pentagon gets a neck injury from a back body drop. La Parka doesn't realize it and makes the injury worse until the ref pulls La Parka off. Pentagon nearly dies, the medics revive him. Pentagon's career is ended in an instant- and because of how AAA treated it, all of Pentagon's relatives instantly jump to CMLL and refuse to ever work for AAA again.

Has it ever been clarified how or why exactly Pentagon suffered an injury on that bump? It's always looked like a fairly routine back bump he took that on the surface doesn't look like anything catastrophic. Was there an underlying issue or simply a case of he was probably already injured and it was just one bump too many?

45 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Has it ever been clarified how or why exactly Pentagon suffered an injury on that bump? It's always looked like a fairly routine back bump he took that on the surface doesn't look like anything catastrophic. Was there an underlying issue or simply a case of he was probably already injured and it was just one bump too many?

More than likely, it'd seem like the same as a lot of "they probably took the move a million times safely, but on this case, their bump card just ran out" thing, if that's the case.

7 hours ago, AxB said:

What if, instead of World of Sport getting cancelled in 1988 and the World Wrestling Federation becoming the biggest promotion in the UK... the WWF's tv deals were cancelled in 1988 and World of Sport became the biggest promotion in America?

I don’t think Big Daddy squashing wrestlers with Irish names would fly in the US. 

13 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I'd love for someone to do a 1980s Brawl For All bracket. Just pick a random year from the WWF and use that roster to create a BFA.

No problem - Haku was in the WWF starting in 1985. He wins each year until he leaves in 1992.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

No problem - Haku was in the WWF starting in 1985. He wins each year until he leaves in 1992.

Haku vs. Dan Spivey would be an ideal matchup from 85-88.

• Like 2

I mentioned in the Viceland thread that they had talked about on BTS doing a 1988 BFA,which could include

Haku, the Bulldogs, the Rougeaus, anvil, Duggan, Harley, savage, bubba, rude,bravo, patera, Reed, muraco,valentine, Blair, Hercules,Billy Jack, Roma,Bigelow and Bad News.

Imagine News v Haku

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Let's go pre WM4 1988

Don Muraco, Haku, Bad News Brown, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, Tama, Bam Bam Bigelow, Butch Reed, Ax, Smash, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, Dynamite Kid, Davey Boy Smith, Jacques Rougeau, Raymond Rougeau, Hercules

Don Muraco vs. Tama

Haku vs. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

Ax vs. Hercules

Smash vs. Davey Boy Smith

Dynamite Kid vs. Jacques Rougeau

Bad News Brown vs. Raymond Rougeau

Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart vs. Greg "The Hammer" Valentine

Bam Bam Bigelow vs. "The Natural" Butch Reed

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1