DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling What Ifs

Web Conn

6 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The Diamond Studd being inserted into The Dangerous Alliance would have been too huge of a jump for Hall. He was a Worldwide guy. Tou dont have a B-Show guy replace The Bonecrusher in the hottest group in the promotion.

Yeah- too much of the Diamond Studd was in "well, Hall became big, DDP became big, so they must have been on the rise."

Just because Nash and Hall were in 1992 WCW as a tag team doesn't mean Vinnie Vegas and Razor Ramon would have risen the ranks if they stuck around.

...meanwhile, for the "II Cool" question, that brings another low-What If that has some now-far reaching endgames:

Considering that The Rock's rise had to be built around anyway and Austin had to be out of the World Title picture no matter what. The Hardcore belt was an important belt in 1998-99, a main event belt in 2001, and a McMahon feuded for it in 2000 right after...it sure seems like Crash Holly and the 24/7 Rule would have been more likely to be struck down by Austin in 2000 than II Cool would have been in order to give Austin the Hardcore Belt and just show up, Stunner people, and go off...but if that happened, suddenly the 24/7 Title is gone because that reign inspired what we get now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Yeah- too much of the Diamond Studd was in "well, Hall became big, DDP became big, so they must have been on the rise."

Just because Nash and Hall were in 1992 WCW as a tag team doesn't mean Vinnie Vegas and Razor Ramon would have risen the ranks if they stuck around.

My question is not if Hall becomes a star but if Hall stays in WCW for a reasonable amount of time, does Hall showing up on Nitro in May 1996 happen or is it anywhere near as big? Also, what if HBK didn't have those ladder matches with Razor Ramon because of that? 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Since people were discussing Doink squash matches in the monthly wrestling chat thread and I just so happen to be watching WrestleWar 92, I think I came up with a decent What If after looking into the Observer covering the show.

Instead of becoming Razor Ramon a few months later, what if Bill Watts decided to give Scott Hall that contract and Scott Hall stays in WCW until Hogan gets there or at least the start of the Monday Night Wars? 

I think not giving Hall a contract have been a Kip Frey decision, since Bill Watts doesn't show up until June. But let's say he does get that contract via Kip Frey and goes into the Dangerous Alliance. Watts blows up the Dangerous Alliance a couple of months later anyway. Hall probably gets his push cut off as Watts tries to get Hall to quit, since he was trying to get anyone with a guaranteed contract to restructure or leave. We probably end up with Razor Ramon in spring 1993 instead of summer 1992.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

Just now, Stefanie the Human said:

I think not giving Hall a contract have been a Kip Frey decision, since Bill Watts doesn't show up until June. But let's say he does get that contract via Kip Frey and goes into the Dangerous Alliance. Watts blows up the Dangerous Alliance a couple of months later anyway. Hall probably gets his push cut off as Watts tries to get Hall to quit, since he was trying to get anyone with a guaranteed contract to restructure or leave. We probably end up with Razor Ramon in spring 1993 instead of summer 1992 anyway.

I was listening to one of Cornette's deals where he went through his little journal or w/e and he specifically mentions that Watts essentially getting rid of Scott Hall was because Hall (as mentioned already) was a nobody and in his opinion wasn't personal. I know Cornette wasn't in WCW at the time, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't say that unless he got it from his good friend Bill Watts. 

Watts started full time on 6/1, but he was hired in May and immediately started cutting back.

It's interesting because Watts himself doesn't last very long. If Hall outlasts Watts in WCW, I think he stays there until Hogan comes in and starts bringing in all his buddies. Either way, that seriously affects the timeline. Also, imagine if someone (say Savio Vega since he's actually Hispanic) gets the Razor Ramon character.

Just now, odessasteps said:

Cornette was there briefly at least, doing the SMW angle with the RnR, the one where he got into it with Watts on the TBS show. 

That was 1993. I'm saying he wasn't there in May 1992 when Watts was hired.

56 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Razor was apparently Hall’s idea, so it probably would never have been a thing in the WWF until he came around. 

Considering Vince's ability to keep track of pop culture, he probably would have seen Scarface by like 95 or 96 and done a ripoff. ?

• Haha 2

Razor Ramon was a WWF creation, Hall put a lot of the garnish on it such as the Scarface lines and accent (which, yes, Vince McMahon had no idea about) to really get it over.

It's amazing how he was a low card wrestler in WCW and by the end of the year he was headlining a WWF PPV teaming with Flair against Perfect and Macho Man

Edited by CreativeControl
  • Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was listening to one of Cornette's deals where he went through his little journal or w/e and he specifically mentions that Watts essentially getting rid of Scott Hall was because Hall (as mentioned already) was a nobody and in his opinion wasn't personal. I know Cornette wasn't in WCW at the time, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't say that unless he got it from his good friend Bill Watts. 

Watts started full time on 6/1, but he was hired in May and immediately started cutting back.

It's interesting because Watts himself doesn't last very long. If Hall outlasts Watts in WCW, I think he stays there until Hogan comes in and starts bringing in all his buddies. Either way, that seriously affects the timeline. Also, imagine if someone (say Savio Vega since he's actually Hispanic) gets the Razor Ramon character.

Cornette also claimed Watts said Kip Frey came up with the mini-movies for Spin the Wheel Make the Deal, the White Castle of Fear, and the Beach Blast thing where the boat got blown up, and two of those happened during Watts' reign, so I suspect Cornette's word may be tainted by taking Watts' word for it. ?

Either way, I don't see Hall outlasting Watts in WCW. If the Steiners, Terry Gordy, and Steve Williams didn't outlast Watts and Watts loved them, I don't think Hall stands a chance.

39 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Either way, I don't see Hall outlasting Watts in WCW. If the Steiners, Terry Gordy, and Steve Williams didn't outlast Watts and Watts loved them, I don't think Hall stands a chance.

Watts loved Rick Steiner, Scott...not so much.

Anyway, Brian Pillman outlasted Bill Watts. This being a What If, I'm putting Hall as one of those who slipped through the cracks. If Hall stays in WCW until 94/95 (feuding with the likes of Johnny B. Badd and Dustin Rhodes), that changes the course of wrestling history significantly.

FWIW, Bischoff blamed/credited somebody who was in charge of a separate division for the mini movies, but I can't remember her name. But ppv advertising was under her control. Had an affair with Ole iirc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

FWIW, Bischoff blamed/credited somebody who was in charge of a separate division for the mini movies, but I can't remember her name. But ppv advertising was under her control. Had an affair with Ole iirc

Sharon Sidello?

• Thanks 1

It only just occurred to me that Big Show has only now outlived Andre the Giant in the past few months. 

Andre still 3 years more active than Show's career too. 

Makes me wish we got a couple more years out of Andre and he had the program with Taker not Gonzales. 

Slightly more morbidly, a what if had Show died of gigantism related issues a decade or so ago. Who gets the Mayweather match? Do we get the super push for CM Punk in ECW?

13 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Just saw that Taker mentioned this on a podcast that Andre wanted to put him over.

Not convinced. They had an opportunity in 1991 and they used it to put over the Natural Disasters instead.

What podcast was this? Would be curious to listen to

10 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Apologies if this has been asked but what if Backlund agrees to put over Hogan? I know Hogan talks plenty of BS but let's assume that the Backlund heat is legit. What if Bob is able to put that aside for business though and lays down for a leg drop?

Does Hulkamania have more or less impact beating the fellow American babyface in a 'mega match'?

Wasn't it also said that if Backlund were to drop the belt to Hogan, he would have not only dropped the belt to Hogan, but VKM would have also turned Backlund heel and repackaged him as a punk rocker?

That kind of changes it from "American face vs. American face."

Edited by SorceressKnight
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Wasn't it also said that if Backlund were to drop the belt to Hogan, he would have not only dropped the belt to Hogan, but VKM would have also turned Backlund heel and repackaged him as a punk rocker?

Get right the fuck out of town!! Talk about a missed opportunity. Punk Rock Bob Backlund is the stuff that pro wrestling dreams are made of. I'm imagining the same kind of dedication to the gimmick that he ran with for the 1994 heel run.

Backlund as some kind of enviro-punk berating us about the damage we are doing would have been some kind of wonderful. I'd buy Backlund's zine in a fucking heartbeat. Fuck it, bring him back right now and put him with Bryan and Rowan.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1