DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

caley, on 26 Feb 2014 - 3:27 PM, said:

You can't imagine how bummed I was when I saw #wcw was trending and was hoping Vince randomly decided to start up WCW again (like he did with ECW) and when I clicked on the filter, it instead lead me to some shit titled "Woman Crush Wednesdays" which is just your various Twitter skanks posting pics of each other in lingerie.  Gutted.

Oh god, that's terrible! *rushes off to twitter*

• Like 3

I've been watching Backlash 2002 as I've had time over the past few days. It's such a weird time for WWE. They had hot acts but didn't seem to know what to do with them. HHH was hot off his return but was hurt after the Jericho feud's terrible booking, Hogan was hot but was hurt by them trying to push him as the top guy instead of a nostalgia act, Austin was hot but they didn't know what to do with him outside of a new authority figure feud with Flair.

The only thing they were doing right was Brock Lesnar's push. He was awesome from the very beginning, the match with Jeff Hardy was very fun. Plus he has the best big guy physique ever as far as being huge AND cut. It's like Vince's wet dream of his ideal WWF Champion come to life.

Oh and Hogan vs HHH is such a boring match. They had way too much time. And that overbooked finish with Jericho and Taker interfering. They didn't do anything to make Hogan's title win important. They pretty much shit all over it. Even though it was a bad idea to begin with the execution could have been a lot better.

• Like 1

goc, I was thinking the same thing when I was watching Unforgiven 2002. I think 2002 was a very underrated year for WWE, but it was clear that they did lack direction outside of Brock Lesnar. But there were so many great matches and random feuds that ended up being great despite not really much attention being paid to them.

Saw the first night of the PWG All Star Weekend. Show was awesome, if you guys loved the early days of ROH where every show was done with the goal of being awesome than this is the promotion for you. Seriously, it's been awhile since I enjoyed a show as much as I enjoyed that one.

Orton should jump Batista from behind and hit him with a potted plant and scream, "Look at me, I'm a Guardian Of The Galaxy too!" while making gun fingers and going 'pew pew'.

Then the next week during a backstage interview, Orton is wearing a hat made out of aluminum foil and Reba asks him about it and he asks her if she thinks he looks stupid and when she hesitates, he says of course he looks stupid just like Batista and his stupid spaceman movie and last week he hit Batista with a plant just like in his stupid spaceman movie and he's lucky he didn't hit him with some roadkill instead and then all of a sudden Vin Diesel walks through the shot and distracts Orton and Batista blindsides Orton and runs him off and says, "The plant's name is Groot!" and then Vin Diesel says, "I am Groot."

- - -

LayCool's sub-Beautiful People act was awful.  One of those rare times TNA had a better act that WWE tried to rip off.  Layla El's good in the ring but her half-ass face turn post-LayCool and returning when people wanted Kharma instead didn't do her any favors.

Funkadactyls did have last names in FCW.  Cameron Lynn and Naomi (K)Night.  They had to give them up when they got called up.  House rules.  No last names for yaks.  Let them have last names and next they'll want the right to vote or something.

- - -

Yes please

The Illustrated WWE Hall Of Fame

wwe1.jpg

http://shortlist.com/cool-stuff/design/the-illustrated-wwe-hall-of-fame

Shawn Michaels' gay gigolo shack seems like an odd inclusion for a family attraction.

Was there ever a story in TNA where Hogan got his HOF ring back from Abyss?

Abyss gave it back by shoving the ring into Hogan's mouth while choking him

Didn't Hogan gift it back to Abyss after they revealed that they were actually 'They'?  He was all, "Big brother Abyss, brother, we couldn't have done it without you, brother, and this belongs to you, my brother." and he gave him back the HOF ring for keeps.

So now Abyss has free admission to Shawn Michaels' gay gigolo shack.

• Like 2

Nick Bockwinkel is probably my favorite wrestler. 

When I turn guys onto old school wrestlers the one they all seem to gravitate toward is Bockwinkel. He just has this aura that is very Bond Villain if a Bond Villain ever came out of the Midwest. He has a plan, he's cocky but he always backs his cockiness by being the best. Hell if Bond ever took on Bock I'm positive MI-6 would be calling in another agent after Bock beats Bond and then has Mr. Saito gnaw on his exposed skull!

I love Nick Bockwinkel!

James

• Like 2

So in Chicago next week, I think Batista should come out to Cult of Personality, but he is interrupted by Randy Orton coming out to This Fire Burns. It was his music originally anyway. Maybe Stephanie can come out to that AFI song while we are at it.

Vic, I know you think this is a terrible idea, and it probably is. I just want to see HHH's troll face.

Watching Wrestlemania I right now and I'm now convinced Mr. T is the best celebrity wrestler ever.  He by know means was great, but he seems more competent than most people give him credit for.

His matches with Piper and Kevin Sullivan say otherwise.

So in Chicago next week, I think Batista should come out to Cult of Personality, but he is interrupted by Randy Orton coming out to This Fire Burns. It was his music originally anyway. Maybe Stephanie can come out to that AFI song while we are at it.

Vic, I know you think this is a terrible idea, and it probably is. I just want to see HHH's troll face.

Corey.

Graves.

Watching Wrestlemania I right now and I'm now convinced Mr. T is the best celebrity wrestler ever.  He by know means was great, but he seems more competent than most people give him credit for.

I'm a little younger than most here, but I got turned on to watching old tapes as a kid because the video store near me had a HUGE wrestling section. So since the A-Team was on well before I was born, I really had no idea that Mr. T. was known for anything besides WM I and the handful of WCW appearances he made for the longest time. I figured he was just another WWF star in semi-retirement.

His matches with Piper and Kevin Sullivan say otherwise.

The Sullivan match is not that bad. I would not say its good, but entertaining for Sullivan treating T like a TBS jobber. 

I'd throw in Kevin Greene and Karl Malone as well.

I forgot about the Sullivan match.  I was really speaking on the Mania match.  For a debut and with the whole world watching, he worked well.  It helped that Orndorff kept him on the mat and Piper being Piper. 

His movements were very crisp and realistic. Him and Piper in the amateur takedown stuff seemed like legit struggles. Mr. T's bodyslams and hip tosses were very sound in that match as well.

I'll have to rewatch Lawrence Taylor/Bam Bam to see how that comparison holds up, but Mr. T held his own. Had T/Piper been in Mid-South or NWA/Crockett, I can just imagine the hate-filled brawls they could have had. Just imagining them in a cage instead of the crappy boxing match from Mania 2 would be insane.