DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Induce CM Punk to come back by offering him a contract with a guaranteed 2015 Royal Rumble win and a spot in the Wrestlemania title match. Have him interrupt the match, destroy both guys with chair shots, then cut a pipebomb 2.0 promo about part-timers taking the spots of guys who deserve to be there. Giving him most of the summer off, with sporadic appearances, usually showing up to run in and screw one of those part time guys in a match.

It won't make it a great match, but it will make it memorable.

Damn, that may even be better then Bryan getting the title.

So, how fucking amazing was Nick Bockwinkel?

I went on a bit of a Bockwinkel binge last night and watched him vs. Lawler in Memphis and the hour broadway with Hennig at the Showboat. Jesus, the guy was amazing on the mic, bumped like a champ, had a great mat game, killer conditioning, AND was amazing into his early 50's. He really was like Ric Flair before Ric Flair was Ric Flair. I'd also say that, at the top of his last big run, he was a better Ric Flair than Ric Flair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3EyQut4WqE

Enjoy!

Goddamn, what a fucking match. 

• Like 2

Induce CM Punk to come back by offering him a contract with a guaranteed 2015 Royal Rumble win and a spot in the Wrestlemania title match. Have him interrupt the match, destroy both guys with chair shots, then cut a pipebomb 2.0 promo about part-timers taking the spots of guys who deserve to be there. Giving him most of the summer off, with sporadic appearances, usually showing up to run in and screw one of those part time guys in a match.

It won't make it a great match, but it will make it memorable.

I was thinking that the other day, it'd be like Sting 97 but with more vitriol

I went on a bit of a Bockwinkel binge last night and watched him vs. Lawler in Memphis and the hour broadway with Hennig at the Showboat. Jesus, the guy was amazing on the mic, bumped like a champ, had a great mat game, killer conditioning, AND was amazing into his early 50's. He really was like Ric Flair before Ric Flair was Ric Flair. I'd also say that, at the top of his last big run, he was a better Ric Flair than Ric Flair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3EyQut4WqE

Enjoy!

Goddamn, what a fucking match. 

The part where Nick slaps Billy and he takes exactly one beat to think "motherfucker just slapped me" before charging in with a punch is so great. I have to rewind it every time. The crowd, and yourself, collectively say "OH SHIT" but Nefarious Nick uses the chance to beal him over the ropes. I think it works so well because you know in real life, if you did that to Billy, he'd just pop your eyeball out and step on it. Which is why no one should ever even think about talking shit at his ring jacket. You think that in your dreams, you better wake up and apologize.

This might be an ignorant question, but are there many (any?) Bockwinkel/Race matches on tape? I can barely even find any mention of them ever meeting in the ring.

According to Wrestlingdata.com, they never wrestled each other, which seems hard to believe.  They did, however, team in the 1984 RWTL, and had matches against (among others) the British Bulldogs and Hansen & Brody.  They also put the Blackjacks over twice in the AWA.

Serious question: with the Network launching and all the amazing young talent emerging, are we on the verge of a new boom period?

I remember hearing someone make an argument years ago that wrestling boom periods had a direct correlation with technology changes. I'll have to see if I can find the discussion. I believe it was Meltzer but could be wrong. Either way if that argument was correct, and not just a coincidence, it is possible. It seems like excess product, market saturation, is one of the things that hurt the boom periods though. There is already an overkill of available content. Might be detrimental.

This might be an ignorant question, but are there many (any?) Bockwinkel/Race matches on tape? I can barely even find any mention of them ever meeting in the ring.

According to Wrestlingdata.com, they never wrestled each other, which seems hard to believe.  They did, however, team in the 1984 RWTL, and had matches against (among others) the British Bulldogs and Hansen & Brody.  They also put the Blackjacks over twice in the AWA.

All I've found listed for Bock vs. Race was a 45 minute draw from 1969 in Amarillo. Doubt that will show up anywhere.

All I've found listed for Bock vs. Race was a 45 minute draw from 1969 in Amarillo. Doubt that will show up anywhere.

45 minutes?  Hell, that was a sprint for those two!

Nick Bockwinkel is probably my favorite wrestler. 

Wrestling needs a new Nick Bockwinkle. Someone who enjoys the finer things in life. Can beat guys with out breaking a sweat or resorting to stooping to the common man's level with closed fists.

I think you just perfectly described Cesaro

Nick Bockwinkel is probably my favorite wrestler. 

Wrestling needs a new Nick Bockwinkle. Someone who enjoys the finer things in life. Can beat guys with out breaking a sweat or resorting to stooping to the common man's level with closed fists.

that could be Regal if Regal just stopped throwing closed-fist punches

It was a Houston show and it was an afternoon start. Harley was late because he didn't know about the early bell time. Bock had already worked 20 minutes with Jose Lothario and he then, being a fucking super hero, came back out for the main and wrestled a 60 minute broadway with Terry Funk.

I've also heard that Paul Boesch was PISSED. When Harley came back to work a date, he was booked with Wahoo McDaniel as punishment. For any mortal man, being stiffed to death by Wahoo was a punishment. For Harley it was another day at the office because Harley was fucking Harley...

• Like 7