DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Just to clarify - Law is only suspended from Twitter for a week. Not a full suspension

Not even a week. He'll be back Monday. Call it a long weekend away from Twitter - we all need a mental health break once in awhile. Might be for the best, tbh

@keithlaw

Eppur si muove.

• 2 weeks later...

The first 10 minutes of the NBA on TNT show last night was spent on Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley talking about both of their comments on Ferguson and Eric Garner situation.   While a strong argument could be made that this shouldn't be on a NBA show, in a world where the main requirement for sports media is to be loud, obnoxious, and overblown to the point of phony it was great conversation.

http://deadspin.com/charles-barkley-and-kenny-smith-talk-about-race-fergus-1667035121

There was a moment during the halftime show of the Cavs game where I swear Charles Barkley gave the best argument against everything he says about black people in America.  He was arguing with Shaq about how the triangle works when you have Jordan and Pippen or Shaq and Kobe, because any system works with Jordan and Pippen and Shaq and Kobe.  Shaq argued that the system works because the system works, despite that it has only really worked when it employed the most talented players in the league.  Barkley somehow can't see that he, a person who needed help thinking of another shape when trying to insult the Knicks' lackluster triangle offense, lives the life he lives based on him being a world class talent.  He can't see how some people who aren't world class talents may struggle in a system that doesn't fit them.  I was watching it and it just hit me that he was presenting the exact argument against what he believes, and argues so adamantly about black people. 

Isn't that also why a lot a 'star' players fail at being coaches and such. they just can't wrap there brains around why someone can'thit the 15ft footer every time when they could do it in there sleep.

For every Lenny Wilkens, there's ten Jerry Wests. In West's case, that's the exact reason he failed as a coach. Weirdly enough, that was the conventional thought going into Bird's first year coaching but it didn't happen.

So really, it's case-sensitive. Starbury is currently coaching in China, which is just hilarious considering his career of being a coach-killer.

Yeah - what Kolber actually says sure makes it seem like it isn't good

"I have the privilege of sitting in (Scott's) seat each week as he fights the fight with cancer," said Kolber. "It's been seven years and Stuart is the recipient of the Jimmy V Award for perserverence and he said in his amazing speech . . . that sometimes when you don't have the strength you need your friends to step up a little bit and help you. So, Stuart, we want you to know we're sending you some extra strength and to keep fighting that fight."

Jon Gruden signed an extension with MNF/ESPN that now goes through 2021

Rest easy Raiders fans

It really is sad that I woke Rippa up with an over-excited text when ESPN announced that.

It's like the Raiders already won the offseason.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On First Take this morning, Skip Bayless called Johnny Manziel "an alcoholic" who needs help.  

https://sports.vice.com/article/skip-bayless-calls-johnny-manziel-an-alcoholic-first-take-still-the-worst?utm_source=vicesportsfb

I can't even begin to say how irresponsible it is to throw labels like that around.

On First Take this morning, Skip Bayless called Johnny Manziel "an alcoholic" who needs help.  

https://sports.vice.com/article/skip-bayless-calls-johnny-manziel-an-alcoholic-first-take-still-the-worst?utm_source=vicesportsfb

I can't even begin to say how irresponsible it is to throw labels like that around.

He also called him a liar. I thought that kind of thing got you a vacation in Bristol.

Honestly should be way more then just a vacation. Should be fired and sued by Manziel. Just a ridiculous thing to say.

No basis for a lawsuit. Only case would be if Skip knew it was false when he said it. And all Skip has to say is "look at all the stories of him drinking" or something similar and bye bye lawsuit

Honestly should be way more then just a vacation. Should be fired and sued by Manziel. Just a ridiculous thing to say.

No basis for a lawsuit. Only case would be if Skip knew it was false when he said it. And all Skip has to say is "look at all the stories of him drinking" or something similar and bye bye lawsuit

The only reports of him drinking are that he goes out on weekends or partied in the summer like a million other people his age, not that he shows up to work to drunk to practice.  Calling him an alcoholic is a huge leap forward and not in any way appropriate.  

If you are a "public figure", libel and slander laws are different in the U.S. than for regular people. You have to be able to prove the person making the accusation knew it was false and was therefore acting with malicious intent, iirc from the one class I took that touched on said laws.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Our sister station's sports guy apparently thinks Jim Harbough is Michigan's basketball coach.  Mentioned him multiple times in IL/MI highlights.

"The power of Harbough on the court!"

Are you sure it wasn't because Harbaugh was at the game and gave a speech before it started?