DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Absolutely disgusting coverage of this latest NASCAR situation. A football player celebrates after a TD and it's a terrible thing, right?  That's what ESPN analysts will tell you. They'll also paint an NBA player as a "thug" if a fight breaks out. 

NASCAR?  They use their cars as weapons and act like fucking children in the pit and ESPN says it's "good for the sport" and it shows how the drivers are under "a lot of pressure" in the chase.

Draw your own conclusions.

Especially after the Tony Stewart tragedy.  I don't really understand what the point of the chase is. I mean I get they are trying to do a playoff type format for Nascar, but how can you do that, and have everyone race still?  I wouldn't call myself even a casual fan of racing, so I'm sure I'm missing something. .  

Especially after the Tony Stewart tragedy.  I don't really understand what the point of the chase is. I mean I get they are trying to do a playoff type format for Nascar, but how can you do that, and have everyone race still?  I wouldn't call myself even a casual fan of racing, so I'm sure I'm missing something. .  

Yeah I don't watch it and have wondered the same thing. I do know that drafting works different in their cars compared to normal ones. Nascar they get draft from the car behind them. Which is why the team aspect of it is important. Would make sense if they didn't want to take out that strategic aspect out of the races.

So NBC has launched SportsWorld - which seems to be NBC's take on Grantland/Sports on Earth. 

I guess I'll reserve judgement.

Well, if the hook is 80's nostalgia, I'm interested.

Hire the dude who wrote Caught On The Fly for Sporting News and whoever wrote the player bios (and shit on the bench players hilariously) for the Complete Handbook of Pro Basketball and I'll be a regular reader.

So, Artie Lange - formerly of the Howard Stern show - shared his thoughts on ESPN First Take and Cari Champion.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lindseyadler/artie-lange-tweets-about-espns-cari-champion-ripped-as-abusi

Massively NSFW language

I'm not sure he's trying to get himself fired intentionally as much as he's just ridiculously thin skinned when it comes to criticism. He can play it off like he's trying to get fired but he's always been this way when it comes to people criticizing him. For a guy who's made his name and career on criticizing and shitting on people for the better part of 15 years you'd think he'd have thicker skin.

• Like 3

Yeah M&M isn't good, but I still watch it before I leave for work.  Don't ask why.  Greenberg's opinions are never anything I agree with (especially ones about the Jets).   He's not a good interviewer either; he asks leading questions so that he can get people to agree with his opinion.  And I just smh when he pumps his fist because he found somebody who agrees with his opinion on some topic.

Golic is alright; nothing terrible.

I don't see the fireable offense here. Its just ESPN doing what it does, artificially create a controversy. If  he didn't get fired for calling the commissioner of the NFL a liar, he won't for this. I might be wrong, though. To the larger point, he is the most self indulgent, whinest writer I've ever read. Sometimes its nice to read, other times not so much. His mailbags are fun, as are some of his other gimmick columns. Like Odessa said he doesn't take criticism well at all(just or otherwise), and he kind of reminds of Lena Dunham, in that they both clearly think their shit doesn't stink.  I tend to browse his columns now, as I used to eagerly wait them.  Part of it is that he hasn't evolved or gotten better as a writer at all, and with all the other projects he's gotten a bit worse. . . . Just my $.02.   

Not sure how Simmons would get fired for sniping back against what was first said about him.  Sure, he was a lot surlier with his statements.  But Golic essentially called Simmons a famewhore, preening for press.  Which Simmons was 100% doing, BTW.  But I wouldn't think another ESPN employee would call him out for it.