DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Saying someone who "may" be second handedly a contributing party in the suicide of a troubled person has blood on his hands is incredibly disingenuous. We have no idea whether or not any of this was a factor in her suicide, we don't know her at all. Putting blame on someone, who didn't wrote the story by the way, is just making shit up. I understand what happened was wrong, and shouldn't have happened, but saying he essentially killed someone is just wrong.

• Like 1

I'm gonna need the details.

Edit:  Now that I think about it, I feel like you talked about this before?  Anyways, I smoke too much.  I'm gonna need the details again.

Someone in an American Idol recap linked to me being on Carmen Sandiego and made some quip about it and then was a dickhead on Twitter when I confronted him about it. He's not w/ Grantland anymore but played it like he was too cool for school. He's also a garbage writer.

However, Grantland (and DVDVR alum Bill Barnwell) have written favorable about my brother and a friend of ours, and two other buddies of mine have also done stuff for the site.

I only read it for the basketball content. Zach Lowe is the best sportswriter in the world. I also love Kirk Goldsberry's stuff. He's also good friends with a good buddy of mine, which speaks well for him.

I should let it go. I know I'm the babyface on DVDVR but in reality I can be a real spiteful prick, especially when I'm mocked to help Subway sell foot-longs.

I can see that.  In fairness, blood on his hands is strong - WE DON'T know how much weight the piece had on Dr. V.  

However, Simmons was the editor, so as the editor he accepts blame for shoddy journalism.  The point is, the transgender angle was inessential and added nothing to the story.  It, along with the bad handling of the pronouns, would have been corrected by a proper editor.

The Simmons apology.

I don't have a horse in this race, to be honest.  Simmons IS far less scuzzy than the NFL, don't get me wrong.  But Simmons can't really hide behind being an enlightened soul when the Dr. V issue is still relatively fresh in people's minds.

Would ESPN have any blood on its hands in this if they were honest and said Bill's suspension had nothing to do with his comments about Roger and everything to do with his inappropriate actions towards the company? And then went on to explain they made him a millionaire, the most famous sportswriter alive, let him live his dream of being a NBA commentator, and also went with his prestige program ideas like Grantland and 30 for 30? And that OTL really wrote the damning piece about what the NFL and Ravens knew and when they knew it? And that he's had a faux-rebel act against a company (as seen in the ESPN book) that's really lame?

I get why a big business can't say that. But if they did, would anyone take Bill's side?

• Like 1

I'm gonna need the details.

Edit:  Now that I think about it, I feel like you talked about this before?  Anyways, I smoke too much.  I'm gonna need the details again.

Someone in an American Idol recap linked to me being on Carmen Sandiego and made some quip about it and then was a dickhead on Twitter when I confronted him about it. He's not w/ Grantland anymore but played it like he was too cool for school. He's also a garbage writer.

However, Grantland (and DVDVR alum Bill Barnwell) have written favorable about my brother and a friend of ours, and two other buddies of mine have also done stuff for the site.

I only read it for the basketball content. Zach Lowe is the best sportswriter in the world. I also love Kirk Goldsberry's stuff. He's also good friends with a good buddy of mine, which speaks well for him.

I should let it go. I know I'm the babyface on DVDVR but in reality I can be a real spiteful prick, especially when I'm mocked to help Subway sell foot-longs.

LOL.  Not at you being mocked necessarily, just that the random clip was linked in an American Idol recap.  Such a Grantland thing to do.

I do agree that Lowe is the best sportswriter in the world right now.  So good that he will probably give up the writing to work for an NBA team at some point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Phyllis was just on the show to address the responses to her rant. It was an amazing segment. She comes across as certifiably insane sometimes, but the tone she had today was one of humility. I love her passion because that's what makes college football great.

It is times like these that make me really glad the Civil War turned out the way it did.  apparently Colin Cowherd is making friends all over the south

If ESPN had any credibility, integrity, or character, they'd be embarrassed to have Paul Finebaum's show on their network.

Cowherd said the other day black men dont watch the NHL.

There was a survey done by The Atlantic (some news web site) that shows that 95% of their audience is white.    I mean this isn't really breaking news since the same report the majority of people who watch the NBA is black.   But for the one time in his career his race-baiting was proven right.    Hopefully it is not a trend

It is times like these that make me really glad the Civil War turned out the way it did.  apparently Colin Cowherd is making friends all over the south

If ESPN had any credibility, integrity, or character, they'd be embarrassed to have Paul Finebaum's show on their network.

First of all ESPN hasn't had any credibility, character, or integrity since they sold their soul to Skip Bayless and Screamin A Smith.   But anyway there are times I want to like the Finebaum show as I find it pretty funny and knowledgeable about SEC sports.  Then I listen to his callers and my opinion goes completely down the toilet.   I have to think he puts these morons on the show in order to better his standing as a sports guy.

Absolutely disgusting coverage of this latest NASCAR situation. A football player celebrates after a TD and it's a terrible thing, right?  That's what ESPN analysts will tell you. They'll also paint an NBA player as a "thug" if a fight breaks out. 

NASCAR?  They use their cars as weapons and act like fucking children in the pit and ESPN says it's "good for the sport" and it shows how the drivers are under "a lot of pressure" in the chase.

Draw your own conclusions.