DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

@BillSimmons: I like Collinsworth and Michaels but come on. That was like listening to Michael Cole and JBL praising Vince McMahon.

The NBA game last night was really bad too. I might end up just skipping Golden State playoff games if Van Gundy and Mark Jackson are calling it and it continues like last night. Pain in the ass since they have a good shot of winning it all.

@BillSimmons: I like Collinsworth and Michaels but come on. That was like listening to Michael Cole and JBL praising Vince McMahon.

Just wait until Buck gets his turn to weigh in.

He'll definitely be tickling Goodell's balls with his nose. . . 

So I was given Al Michaels's autobiography, You Can't Make This Up for Christmas. Just finished reading it. It's pretty good, hardly the best autobiography I've ever read but far from the worst. I am generally a guy who likes Al and his work on SNF but I do think he's among the worst in the business when he's got a bad game or lesser partners to work with. Then he gets bored and his ego takes over and his work suffers big-time. But the guy has been everywhere - from calling basketball in Hawaii to the Olympics to the World Series to SNF - and has done pretty much everything. Some fun stuff from the book:

- A GREAT Howard Cosell story:

Late in Howard's career on MNF, he & Al were in a limo going to their hotel or something and passed through a rough neighborhood. They come across a pair of teenagers fighting, surrounded by their friends. Howard yells at their driver to stop and she does. With Al FREAKING OUT that they're about to get killed, Howard gets out. He goes over to the fight, totally unafraid, and begins DOING BOXING COMMENTARY ON THE FIGHT. Only he's ripping on them. He basically tells the two teens they suck and to knock it off. And it WORKS. Next thing you know, Howard is signing autographs. He gets back in the car and the limo driver says something to him about being crazy and how the teens could have killed him. And Howard, the crazy old bastard, replies with:

"Make no mistake, I know who I am."

- Al tells some great stories about the Miracle on Ice, including having to go back into the arena and do another game after, just on the off-chance that the tape of the Miracle game (remember, not shown live!) somehow failed and they needed to fill time

- He had a hand in selecting Dennis Miller for MNF and actually PRAISES Miller for his work. Right after saying that the ratings were great before Miller's hire, he then says Miller "revitalized the show". He essentially blames the audience for not liking Miller, saying "people don't want to hear JFK assassination jokes in the 4th quarter of a 27-27 game". No, Al, people don't want to hear JFK assassination jokes during a football game. EVER. Miller was a terrible hire and somebody with more self-awareness and less ego would admit it.

- He rips on Boomer Esiason and basically calls him terrible. I find that funny since he was universally praised when on MNF and given Michaels's praising of Miller.

- lots of ripping on former colleagues and bosses including outing Chet Forte as a degenerate gambler

All in all, Michaels does a pretty good job of keeping his massive ego in check. It's an enjoyable read and likely won't change your opinion of the guy one way or the other.

• Like 2

Hannah Storm's tweet was ridiculous. She said that she was "protecting" the make up artist because she would have gotten in big trouble if she was in the shot. She said that's why she had to give her a "stiff arm."  LOL.  She did not go on to explain why she mean mugged the make up lady afterwards.

So I was given Al Michaels's autobiography, You Can't Make This Up for Christmas. Just finished reading it. It's pretty good, hardly the best autobiography I've ever read but far from the worst. I am generally a guy who likes Al and his work on SNF but I do think he's among the worst in the business when he's got a bad game or lesser partners to work with. Then he gets bored and his ego takes over and his work suffers big-time. But the guy has been everywhere - from calling basketball in Hawaii to the Olympics to the World Series to SNF - and has done pretty much everything. Some fun stuff from the book:

- A GREAT Howard Cosell story:

Late in Howard's career on MNF, he & Al were in a limo going to their hotel or something and passed through a rough neighborhood. They come across a pair of teenagers fighting, surrounded by their friends. Howard yells at their driver to stop and she does. With Al FREAKING OUT that they're about to get killed, Howard gets out. He goes over to the fight, totally unafraid, and begins DOING BOXING COMMENTARY ON THE FIGHT. Only he's ripping on them. He basically tells the two teens they suck and to knock it off. And it WORKS. Next thing you know, Howard is signing autographs. He gets back in the car and the limo driver says something to him about being crazy and how the teens could have killed him. And Howard, the crazy old bastard, replies with:

"Make no mistake, I know who I am."

- Al tells some great stories about the Miracle on Ice, including having to go back into the arena and do another game after, just on the off-chance that the tape of the Miracle game (remember, not shown live!) somehow failed and they needed to fill time

- He had a hand in selecting Dennis Miller for MNF and actually PRAISES Miller for his work. Right after saying that the ratings were great before Miller's hire, he then says Miller "revitalized the show". He essentially blames the audience for not liking Miller, saying "people don't want to hear JFK assassination jokes in the 4th quarter of a 27-27 game". No, Al, people don't want to hear JFK assassination jokes during a football game. EVER. Miller was a terrible hire and somebody with more self-awareness and less ego would admit it.

- He rips on Boomer Esiason and basically calls him terrible. I find that funny since he was universally praised when on MNF and given Michaels's praising of Miller.

- lots of ripping on former colleagues and bosses including outing Chet Forte as a degenerate gambler

All in all, Michaels does a pretty good job of keeping his massive ego in check. It's an enjoyable read and likely won't change your opinion of the guy one way or the other.

That is the freaking greatest story ever. As for Hannah, if looks could kill. . . .

• Like 1

I'm watching the 30 for 30 on Jimmy Connors right now. It's decent. They have the usual tennis suspects (Mary Cirillo, Bud, Wertheim) and then a few HARD EDGE NEW YORK TOUGH MEDIA PEOPLE like Chris Russo (who is a tennis nut) and Mike Lupica.

But then who comes out for some reason?

Chuck Klosterman. UGH.

And then it gets even worse when he starts comparing John McEnroe to Bruce Springsteen and Jimmy Connors to Lou Reed.

Just wait until Buck gets his turn to weigh in.

He'll definitely be tickling Goodell's balls with his nose. . . 

Provided he can take Aaron Rodgers out of his mouth for a few seconds.

• Like 1

Since CBS Sports Radio has shuffled its lineup, Gottleib stands out and not in a good way.  He is so joyless and brittle.  At least everyone else is self-aware enough to realize that talking about sports for a living is a nice, easy-going gig.  Gottleib acts like he's trying to diffuse international conflicts.  What a weenie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Olbermann gonna Olbermann.

We are aware of the exchange Keith Olbermann had on Twitter last night regarding Penn State. It was completely inappropriate and does not reflect the views of ESPN. We have discussed it with Keith, who recognizes he was wrong. ESPN and Keith have agreed that he will not host his show for the remainder of this week and will return on Monday. The annual tradition of THON and the efforts of the students of Penn State to fight pediatric cancer should be applauded.