DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

Stories We Tell didn't even get nominated.

Crash Reel either.  Or Blackfish, which I'm a little surprised about.  That was probably the most mainstream buzz for a Best Documentary candidate since like Fahrenheit 9/11.

At first I thought "okay - maybe Blackfish wasn't even in that 15 semifinalist pool. or maybe they didn't even submit it" but nope, it was one of the 15.

Best Picture: Her - As much as I loved Gravity, and I still need to see 12 Years a Slave, Her was incredible. It's the most relevant and important piece of science fiction of our time. Words can't really describe or do justice for how good it was.

Best Actor: Matthew McConaughey - This category was tough. I think Joaquin Phoenix was fabulous in his role, but the only guy you could sub him in for is Christian Bale, and even then, I could see him winning. The chance of him doing so is really slim, but still.

Best Actress: Amy Adams

Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto

Best Supporting Actress - I have no clue

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron - As good as everything else was, Gravity was a masterpiece.

Best Original Screenplay: Spike Jonze for Her - Again, as original or good as everything else was, Her is above everything else.

And that's really it I can specifically comment on, except to say that Gravity should take all of the technical categories, obviously, and Bad Grandpa getting the chance to win an Oscar amuses me to no end. This is like Blame Canada being nominated.

Awwww. Chris Hemsworth was doing the nominee announcing, my wife will be so disappointed she didn't get to see that this morning.

I have THE ACT OF KILLING, so I'll probably watch that tonight or tomorrow. And THE SQUARE is playing at the Siskel, so I'll probably check that out. It looks pretty fucking good:

I've seen all of the Best Picture nominees except Her and Philomena.  I know it probably won't happen given the competition, but I would love for Steve Coogan to win the Screenplay Oscar for Philomena.  Alan Partridge would have a field day with that sort of thing.

Nebraska probably won't win any of the major awards either, but what an absolutely great film that is.  Maybe it's because it hit a bit close to home, as that's my extended family in a nutshell.

And a personal thank you to the Makeup and Hairstyling category so that the film is now "the Academy Award-nominated Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa."

American Hustle isn't even a top three movie in that category.

For you, it's American Hustle.  For me, it's Gravity.  I will never, ever understand the accolades it's received.  It looked really cool in 3D, but it's just Sandra Bullock flailing around outer space for 90 minutes apart from that.

Guesses as of right now:

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave. Gravity and American Hustle closest challengers.

Best Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (12 Years a Slave) Amy Adams in American Hustle might have a slim chance having missed out a couple of times before, but then again Peter O'Toole never won one. Wouldn't count out Sandra Bullock for Gravity.

Best Supporting Actor: Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club).

Best Supporting Actress: Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle).

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron. Think it's a two horse race between Cuaron and Steve McQueen.

I dig Amy Adams as much as the next guy, but it's hard to see her winning for the 3rd or 4th best performance in American Hustle.  Bullock in Gravity is the only other performance i've seen in that category and I'm rooting for her.

Indiewire is predicting Act of Killing and Crash Reel both get nominated for Best Documentary, and then Stories We Tell beats them both out for the award.  If that happens I will shake my fist at the TV so aggressively.

Stories We Tell didn't even get nominated.

Sarah Polley, director of Stories We Tell, took her non-nomination very graciously, tweeting:

So happy for @TheActofKilling. A movie that should and will have a great life and may change things for the better. Yay @JoshuaOppenheim!

Way to make me feel like a jerk Sarah.

Also, join me once again in the nearly annual tradition of touring for Roger Deakins to finally get a damn Oscar, and then being mildly disappointed when he doesn't.

Be something if Roger Deakins finally does it compared to films when he should have at least a couple of times. You'd like to think Deakins would properly win one even if it's more a Lifetime Achievement one for his body of work rather than the honourary ones people have got in the past.

Stolen from Twitter

"Jonah Hill has more #Oscar nominations for acting than Robert Redford, Joseph Cotten, James Earl Jones, Edward G. Robinson & Orson Welles."

He really didn't deserve the MONEYBALL nomination. He was fine, but it was a nothing role. He was just...present, and not going for a bunch of jokes. That was the extent of it.

I haven't seen THE WOLF yet, but from the ads and such, it at least looks like he's putting in an actual performance.

JONAH!! That's awesome. He deserves it. It was also good to see Prisoners and Lone Survivor pick up some nominations though not the big one..

Also, Jennifer Lawrence. Listen, I love her as much as everyone else does. She's great. However, I feel pretty strongly that Lupita was better in 12 Years a Slave.

• Like 1

Films that have not been Oscar nominated: Kill Bill, Dark City, The Shining, Reservoir DogsEyes Wide Shut, Dial 'M' for Murder, The Terminator and Persona.

Films that have been Oscar nominated: Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa.

• Like 1

Genuinely surprised Blackfish didn't get nominated. One of the few documentaries that had a major impact and truly changed people's view of things.

Maybe one of the Oscar voters owns stock in Sea World?

The Academy is very notorious for not nominating documentaries that are "mainstream".