DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

Im sticking with Gravity for director and best picture. First one is almost a lock, but I would be surprised if it wins best picture.

Leo needs to win one, too. Strong field this year, but I'd say it's his best performance in a Scorsese flick. It's insane that he has never won.

Her isn't up for consideration, is it?

It should be eligible I believe... it played at some festivals in the US in Oct 2013 and had a limited release (according to IMDB) on 12/18/13.

Rules are a movie has to play for at least a week in L.A. or New York to be eligible in most categories.  I assume that's exactly what that limited release on 12/18 was.

EDIT:  Or maybe it's two weeks.  I'm feeling too lazy to look it up now.

I think the Best Picture nomination locks are: Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, Wolf of Wall Street, Her, Captain Phillips, American Hustle.  

Out of those... the only one I have not seen is Her. I would say my favorite films of the year by far were American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street but I cannot deny how amazing 12 Years a Slave was.

Captain Phillips didn't do it for me. Hanks was good and the Somali pirate leader was decent also but neither performance blew me away and as a whole I thought the film was a little flat.

I would assume Before Midnight will also get nominated. It didn't come out during the season, but they've got room for 10, and it's one of the best reviewed films of the year.

Now that they've made the category more fluid, it now seems weird if they have the option of more, but choose to go with only 5 or 6 movies. Makes it seem like a down year.

On the flipside, the 9 or 10 they've come up with in the past haven't all been particularly good, and I can't even remember all the movies that get nominated anymore.

I just became aware that the Palestinian movie Omar is on the 9-movie shortlist for Best Foreign Film.  It's the only one of the nine I've actually seen, and I liked it a lot but it's probably not Oscar-worthy.  Guess that'll be the one I'm rooting for, though.

Indiewire is predicting Act of Killing and Crash Reel both get nominated for Best Documentary, and then Stories We Tell beats them both out for the award.  If that happens I will shake my fist at the TV so aggressively.

Indiewire is also predicting one of the Somali pirates in Captain Phillips gets nominated for Best Supporting Actor, which would be interesting.  (edit: Apparently this is not that uncommon of a prediction.)  And if it's not him, then there's the question of who's going to be the fifth nominee after Leto, Cooper, Hill and Fassbender.

They may have changed it because that's what I thought as well. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Speaking of rules, I was looking through the foreign language rules and saw this awesome sentence:

The picture must be advertised and exploited during its eligibility run in a manner considered normal and customary to the industry. 

• Like 1

I would assume Before Midnight will also get nominated. It didn't come out during the season, but they've got room for 10, and it's one of the best reviewed films of the year.

Now that they've made the category more fluid, it now seems weird if they have the option of more, but choose to go with only 5 or 6 movies. Makes it seem like a down year.

On the flipside, the 9 or 10 they've come up with in the past haven't all been particularly good, and I can't even remember all the movies that get nominated anymore.

Before Sunset got a screenwriting nod, and this one might too, but that's it. 

I would hate to see Gravity win best picture.

Happy for best director, because he had to actually direct the cast and SFX teams, but not the best picture of the year. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, something would just feel off though if a film that is 98% CGI was named the best movie of the year when Andy Serkis can't get a single bloody nomination for Gollum or Ceaser.

I remember the campaign for Serkis to get Oscar nominations for his CGI work, particularly Gollum but it didn't happen. I was for Serkis getting them.

I remember the campaign to try and get a nom for Ellen Degeneres for Finding Nemo.

I didn't know about that one till you said as I only watched Finding Nemo years later. Wasn't there calls for Robin Williams to get nominated for his work as the Genie in Aladdin? I'd have given them to Williams and DeGeneres.

Sigh.

1. Best Picture:

‘‘American Hustle,’’ ‘'Captain Phillips,’’ ‘'Dallas Buyers Club,’’ ‘'Gravity,’’ ‘'Her,’’ ‘'Nebraska,’’ ‘'Philomena,’’ ‘'12 Years a Slave,’’ ‘'The Wolf of Wall Street.’’

2. Actor:

Christian Bale, ‘‘American Hustle"; Bruce Dern, ‘‘Nebraska"; Leonardo DiCaprio, ‘‘The Wolf of Wall Street"; Chiwetel Ejiofor, ‘‘12 Years a Slave"; Matthew McConaughey, ‘‘Dallas Buyers Club.’’

3. Actress:

Amy Adams, ‘‘American Hustle"; Cate Blanchett, ‘‘Blue Jasmine"; Sandra Bullock, ‘‘Gravity"; Judi Dench, ‘‘Philomena"; Meryl Streep, ‘‘August: Osage County.’’

4. Supporting Actor:

Barkhad Abdi, ‘‘Captain Phillips"; Bradley Cooper, ‘‘American Hustle"; Michael Fassbender, ‘‘12 Years a Slave"; Jonah Hill, ‘‘The Wolf of Wall Street"; Jared Leto, ‘‘Dallas Buyers Club.’’

5. Supporting Actress:

Sally Hawkins, ‘‘Blue Jasmine'''; Jennifer Lawrence, ‘‘American Hustle"; Lupita Nyong'o, ‘‘12 Years a Slave"; Julia Roberts, ‘‘August: Osage County"; June Squibb, ‘‘Nebraska.’’

6. Directing:

David O. Russell, ‘‘American Hustle"; Alfonso Cuaron, ‘‘Gravity"; Alexander Payne, ‘‘Nebraska"; Steve McQueen, ‘‘12 Years a Slave"; Martin Scorsese, ‘‘The Wolf of Wall Street.’’

7. Foreign Language Film:

‘‘The Broken Circle Breakdown,’’ Belgium; ‘‘The Great Beauty,’’ Italy; ‘‘The Hunt,’’ Denmark; ‘‘The Missing Picture,’’ Cambodia; ‘‘Omar,’’ Palestine.

8. Adapted Screenplay:

Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, ‘‘Before Midnight"; Billy Ray, ‘‘Captain Phillips"; Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope, ‘‘Philomena"; John Ridley, ‘‘12 Years a Slave"; Terence Winter, ‘‘The Wolf of Wall Street.’’

9. Original Screenplay:

Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell, ‘‘American Hustle"; Woody Allen, ‘‘Blue Jasmine"; Craig Borten & Melisa Wallack, ‘‘Dallas Buyers Club"; Spike Jonze, ‘‘Her"; Bob Nelson, ‘‘Nebraska.’’

10. Animated Feature Film:

‘‘The Croods"; ‘‘Despicable Me 2"; ‘‘Ernest & Celestine"; ‘‘Frozen"; ‘‘The Wind Rises.’’

11. Production Design:

‘‘American Hustle,’’ ‘'Gravity,’’ ‘'The Great Gatsby,’’ ‘'Her,’’ ‘'12 Years a Slave.’’

12. Cinematography:

‘‘The Grandmaster,’’ ‘'Gravity,’’ ‘'Inside Llewyn Davis,’’ ‘'Nebraska,’’ ‘'Prisoners.’’

13. Sound Mixing:

‘‘Captain Phillips,’’ ‘'Gravity,’’ ‘'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,’’ ‘'Inside Llewyn Davis,’’ ‘'Lone Survivor.’’

14. Sound Editing:

‘‘All Is Lost,’’ ‘'Captain Phillips,’’ ‘'Gravity,’’ ‘'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,’’ ‘'Lone Survivor.’’

15. Original Score:

‘‘The Book Thief,’’ John Williams; ‘‘Gravity,’’ Steven Price; ‘‘Her,’’ William Butler and Owen Pallett; ‘‘Philomena,’’ Alexandre Desplat; ‘‘Saving Mr. Banks,’’ Thomas Newman.

16. Original Song:

‘‘Alone Yet Not Alone’’ from ‘‘Alone Yet Not Alone,’’ Bruce Broughton and Dennis Spiegel; ‘‘Happy’’ from ‘‘Despicable Me 2,’’ Pharrell Williams; ‘‘Let It Go’’ from ‘‘Frozen,’’ Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez; ‘‘The Moon Song’’ from ‘‘Her,’’ Karen O and Spike Jonze; ‘‘Ordinary Love’’ from ‘‘Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom,’’ Paul Hewson, Dave Evans, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen.

17. Costume:

‘‘American Hustle,’’ ‘'The Grandmaster,’’ ‘'The Great Gatsby,’’ ‘'The Invisible Woman,’’ ‘'12 Years a Slave.’’

18. Documentary Feature:

‘‘The Act of Killing,’’ ‘'Cutie and the Boxer,’’ ‘'Dirty Wars,’’ ‘'The Square,’’ ‘'20 Feet from Stardom.’’

19. Documentary (short subject):

‘‘CaveDigger,’’ ‘'Facing Fear,’’ ‘'Karama Has No Walls,’’ ‘'The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life,’’ ‘'Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall.’’

20. Film Editing:

‘‘American Hustle,’’ ‘'Captain Phillips,’’ ‘'Dallas Buyers Club,’’ ‘'Gravity,’’ ‘'12 Years a Slave.’’

21. Makeup and Hairstyling:

‘‘Dallas Buyers Club,’’ ‘'Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa,’’ ‘'The Lone Ranger.’’

22. Animated Short Film:

‘‘Feral,’’ ‘'Get a Horse!,’’ ‘'Mr. Hublot,’’ ‘'Possessions’’, ‘‘Room on the Broom.’’

23. Live Action Short Film:

‘‘Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn’t Me),’’ ‘'Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just before Losing Everything),’’ ‘'Helium,’’ ‘'Pitaako Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?),’’ ‘'The Voorman Problem.’’

24. Visual Effects:

‘‘Gravity,’’ ‘'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug,’’ ‘'Iron Man 3,’’ ‘'The Lone Ranger,’’ ‘'Star Trek Into Darkness.’’

[EDIT] Well, certainly don't need to post the nominees twice

Best Picture is American Hustle or 12 Years A Slave (with Dallas being the dark horse)

And this guy is about to be called "Academy Award Winner" 

042712-dazed-and-confused.jpg

Alright, alright, alriiiiight.

• Like 1

Stories We Tell didn't even get nominated.

Crash Reel either.  Or Blackfish, which I'm a little surprised about.  That was probably the most mainstream buzz for a Best Documentary candidate since like Fahrenheit 9/11.

Second year in a row that Pixar doesn't get a best animated motion picture nod.

Yeah, Brave won last year, and this year was Monsters University.  Much as my daughter, who played Monsters Inc on repeat for a  month straight, loved it, it wasn't really that great.  And judging how crazy she's been over Frozen since she saw it, they nominated the right movie.

Monsters University was better than Despicable Me 2, at least. Kristin Wiig's character was terrible in that thing. Croods is actually pretty good. The baby bought it by accident so we've had to watch it four or five times with the other kid to justify the 15 dollar on demand purchase. 

Basically, all I've seen this year are kids movies and Thor.