DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

Jared Leto probably has the best supporting Oscar in the bag. I never thought of him as a bad actor, as such, but that's still kind of surprising to me.

Might be because he disappeared for like 10 years and, sans Requiem for a Dream, did so few things of note since My So Called Life. In my mind I always had him down as one of those faded '90s teen stars.

I think 12 Years' unimpressive box office might hurt its chances.  Best Pictures tend to either be hit films or have the Weinstein marketing machine behind it and this had neither.  It'll definitely get a ton of noms, but I don't see it or anything else as a front runner (like last year.)  This could be one of those years that whichever film gets the late buzz at the end wins (Argo, Crash.)

I usually give no fucks about the Oscars but this year has seen actors I like give performances I like in movies I enjoyed for once. So, from what I've seen, I think McConaughey for DBC for best actor. If not him then Leo for Wolf. Agree with Cuaron as best Director. Doubt he'll get nominated but Jonah Hill in Wolf was tremendous for supporting actor. Gravity for best picture.

I usually give no fucks about the Oscars but this year has seen actors I like give performances I like in movies I enjoyed for once. So, from what I've seen, I think McConaughey for DBC for best actor. If not him then Leo for Wolf. Agree with Cuaron as best Director. Doubt he'll get nominated but Jonah Hill in Wolf was tremendous for supporting actor. Gravity for best picture.

Agreed with everything except Gravity for best picture, in terms of what I think will win. I think it'll be 12 Years a Slave. Winning the Golden Globe will help (although it won't make it a lock) and it seems like the type of movie that the academy would want to vote for as Best Picture.

But yeah, Jonah Hill was tremendous in Wolf.

I think 12 Years' unimpressive box office might hurt its chances.  Best Pictures tend to either be hit films or have the Weinstein marketing machine behind it and this had neither.  It'll definitely get a ton of noms, but I don't see it or anything else as a front runner (like last year.)  This could be one of those years that whichever film gets the late buzz at the end wins (Argo, Crash.)

I think 12 Years as a Slave is just seen as too depressing for casual audiences, even though it is a fantastic film.

I haven't checked this out to confirm, but was Gladiator the last film to be released in the first half of the year to win Best Picture?

I want to say Crash was released pretty early... sometime in the spring.

You're right. Crash was released May 6, 2004 and Gladiator was released May 5, 2000.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with 'Wolf of Wall Street'.  You've got the controversy and people trashing it, you've got the ardent admirers of the film, and you've got people like Sam Rubin reporting that this is one of the dirtiest Oscar races in years with the Weinsteins doing everything they can to secure the victory for the film.  Should be fascinating Oscar-watching.  Plus now you've got one of 'Wolf's chief rivals shooting himself in the foot ('American Hustle' director David O. Russell today compared Jennifer Lawrence working on 'The Hunger Games' to being a slave a la '12 Years A Slave'...YEESH!).

David O. Russel says something stupid? The hell you say.

No kidding.  But he's toned it down in recent years since he's become Oscar-worthy.  I mean, it's been years since he called Lily Tomlin an objectionable woman in 'I Heart Huckabees'.

I would hate to see Gravity win best picture.

Happy for best director, because he had to actually direct the cast and SFX teams, but not the best picture of the year. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, something would just feel off though if a film that is 98% CGI was named the best movie of the year when Andy Serkis can't get a single bloody nomination for Gollum or Ceaser.

I remember the campaign for Serkis to get Oscar nominations for his CGI work, particularly Gollum but it didn't happen. I was for Serkis getting them.

Wolf is probably my favorite movie I've seen all year. Dallas Buyers Club is probably the 'best' I've seen. 12 Years a Slave is really good but it really is quite depressing. I also enjoyed the hell out of American Hustle but Wolf was like another level of entertaining for me.

• Like 1

I would hate to see Gravity win best picture.

Happy for best director, because he had to actually direct the cast and SFX teams, but not the best picture of the year. Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie, something would just feel off though if a film that is 98% CGI was named the best movie of the year when Andy Serkis can't get a single bloody nomination for Gollum or Ceaser.

I remember the campaign for Serkis to get Oscar nominations for his CGI work, particularly Gollum but it didn't happen. I was for Serkis getting them.

I remember the campaign to try and get a nom for Ellen Degeneres for Finding Nemo.