DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

Genuinely surprised Blackfish didn't get nominated. One of the few documentaries that had a major impact and truly changed people's view of things.

Maybe one of the Oscar voters owns stock in Sea World?

I haven't actually seen Blackfish, but I'm thinking The Cove winning Best Documentary in 2010 could have something to do with it.  It covers some of the same ground (dolphins rather than killer whales, though) and maybe the Academy was like "been there, done that".

• Like 1

I saw "The Hunt" the other night on Netflix.  It is really good.  Mads Mikkelsen from Hannibal stars in it.  It is about a kindergarten teacher who gets wrongly accused on sexually abusing a student and how his life gets torn apart by the people in the town.  It is amazing how quickly his life spirals downward from this lie.  I recommend seeing this.

How many nominations is this for Leo now?

Speaking of people with several, this is Amy Adams's 5 in the last 9 years.  I think she has a chance to upset Blanchett on a "it's her turn" type of campaign.

And, of course, give Roger Deakins a damn Oscar already, god damn it.  (Although it's pretty much in the bag for Lubezki, and I don't honestly have any problem with that.)

Genuinely surprised Blackfish didn't get nominated. One of the few documentaries that had a major impact and truly changed people's view of things.

Maybe one of the Oscar voters owns stock in Sea World?

I haven't actually seen Blackfish, but I'm thinking The Cove winning Best Documentary in 2010 could have something to do with it.  It covers some of the same ground (dolphins rather than killer whales, though) and maybe the Academy was like "been there, done that".

It's not even that great of a documentary, especially when you start getting into interviews by other former Sea World trainers about how full of shit the whole thing is.  I'm glad the Academy didn't throw a nomination its way just because it was the most recognisable name on the list of nominees.

Blanchett in Blue Jasmine was one of the best pieces of acting I've ever seen. She went beyond being great to being genuinely disturbing at points. The scene at the end still haunts me a little. The film has more than a few flaws (Woody is as out of touch as ever, particularly the part where we're the told the sister's actually very nice apartment is a dump), but she easily makes up for it.

Blanchett in Blue Jasmine was one of the best pieces of acting I've ever seen. She went beyond being great to being genuinely disturbing at points. The scene at the end still haunts me a little. The film has more than a few flaws (Woody is as out of touch as ever, particularly the part where we're the told the sister's actually very nice apartment is a dump), but she easily makes up for it.

Wasn't it Blanchett's character that said it was a dump?  I think it totally makes sense she'd be out of touch enough to say that.

Wasn't it Blanchett's character that said it was a dump?  I think it totally makes sense she'd be out of touch enough to say that.

Yeah, but how exactly would a grocery store assistant, and single mother, be able to afford a lovely place like that? Also, Jasmine has to learn how to "use computers" so takes night classes, and to pay for it all she takes a job as a receptionist...because you don't need to use computers for a job like that, obviously. Chilli was a walking cliche too.

I wouldn't call Allen a snob exactly. I mean, he is very sympathetic to the working class characters. But there were so many hints in that movie that the guy hasn't lived in anything resembling the real world in a long, long time.

Aviator was garbage. How he didn't get a nod for The Departed is beyond me.

He should've won for Gilbert Grape.

Off the top of my head it would be close to my favorite acting performance ever. He hit the line between 'annoying burden' and 'loveable kid' perfectly.

He even went full retard. You never go full retard.

• Like 2