DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

I watched Dallas Buyers Club. McConaughey was excellent in this. Leto, I'm not sure. Yeah, he transformed into the role but it was more appearance than acting/emotion. I'm not saying he was bad but people were hyping his performance as an all-time must-see display of acting and I didn't see it. Fassbender and Hill were better.

Thoughts?

I watched Dallas Buyers Club. McConaughey was excellent in this. Leto, I'm not sure. Yeah, he transformed into the role but it was more appearance than acting/emotion. I'm not saying he was bad but people were hyping his performance as an all-time must-see display of acting and I didn't see it. Fassbender and Hill were better.

Thoughts?

Mac or Leo?

ooooh that's tough. They both controlled their respective films. Leo surprised me with his physical comedy. He showed incredible range and versatility throughout. On the other hand, McConaughey laid out for this film, put his body on the line and I loved his false arrogance while trying to come to terms with the gravity of the situation. He nailed it. I didn't think he was AS great in the second half but still very good.

I think I'd go with Leo but it's close. I'd be happy with either.

• Like 1

ooooh that's tough. They both controlled their respective films. Leo surprised me with his physical comedy. He showed incredible range and versatility throughout. On the other hand, McConaughey laid out for this film, put his body on the line and I loved his false arrogance while trying to come to terms with the gravity of the situation. He nailed it. I didn't think he was AS great in the second half but still very good.

I think I'd go with Leo but it's close. I'd be happy with either.

I'll agree with this.  If it was based on the first half of each film, I'd give it to McConaughey easily.  But once any character finds redemption, it's terribly difficult for the character to evolve in a way that emotionally gripping.  That's not a knock on McConaughey or the writing, it happens in all forms of entertainment.

Unlike Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club, Jordan Belfort never finds redemption.  He's an unrepentant bastard to the end.  And he loves it, and so do we.  DiCaprio controls the movie from beginning to end, no small feat for a three-hour film.

To bring it round to wrestling terms, McConaughey is the plucky babyface challenger who's been tracking the champion for ages, and we love watching the chase.  Once he wins the title, though, his character stagnates.  He's no less popular or beloved, but he's reached the top of the mountain  DiCaprio is Ric Flair wrestling 60-minute matches every night, then keeps on going after the card is over.  He makes up his own mountains as he goes along.

• Like 1

McConaughey laid out for this film, put his body on the line 

C'mon, he did not put his body "on the line." He lost a lot of weight under the supervision of doctors none of us can afford to see. 

I give the award to the actor who was tied up with a lit candle sticking out of his ass. That's puttin' it on the line man. 

Yeah I got it right away. Maybe the "full retard" thing is a little over played. Sorry I'm not 100% with the funny. I'm not Horatio Sanz here!

See now that's funny. I'm just kidding around here. It was less about you saying it and more about whether or not someone would think I'd never heard of that meme. So really you came out ahead in this experiment.

I legit feel bad about cutting it off, but I couldn't standing there being a couple posters just not getting it at all. Like, all of a sudden, people started acting like Jae was Balki from Perfect Strangers.

EDIT: "People" is hyperbolic. Really, it was maybe one or two people.

I legit feel bad about cutting it off, but I couldn't standing there being a couple posters just not getting it at all. Like, all of a sudden, people started acting like Jae was Balki from Perfect Strangers.

EDIT: "People" is hyperbolic. Really, it was maybe one or two people.

I consider it indicative of the way Jae is perceived on here.

McConaughey laid out for this film, put his body on the line 

C'mon, he did not put his body "on the line." He lost a lot of weight under the supervision of doctors none of us can afford to see. 

I give the award to the actor who was tied up with a lit candle sticking out of his ass. That's puttin' it on the line man.

Please, he was clearly just holding it with the cheeks, it wasn't up there at all. The candle may as well have been CG, with how little Leo had to commit to it.

Nothing to do with the nudity. Brave to go the places Jae did with the character with just compete abandon.

He found the ledge, climbed out on it, and then did a dance before diving right off with no fear.