DVDVR Message Board

The conversation started off wonderfully.  The talk about grilling, beer, whisky, country and metal music and hunting was all kinds of manly.  If they did a truncated interview that focused on non-wrestling stuff I would have been highly entertained.  As soon as they started talking his career that's when it looked like he started to lose interest.  The guy is just not comfortable talking for a length of time, there's a good reason Paul talks for him.  That said I certainly enjoyed it.  If they were going to do the WM match something would have happened, but when the show ended so did the chances of that happening.  With Steve's neck it's for the best.

I thought it was fine. It was interesting to learn just how much Lesnar treats everything as a job. Most of us were under the opinion that he was chasing a dream with football, but he was instead just trying anything to prevent himself from being a dairy farmer. Same thing with MMA. Many of us also thought that Lesnar was just really wishy washy, losing interest in one thing after another, like football and MMA, when that wasn't the case at all. Dude has been hustling since he got out of college by getting into OVW, WWE, Vikings training camp, MMA, etc.

I also thought it was interesting that he would go back to being a dairy farmer and he'd be fine with that. I highly doubt that's the case. Everything he's done has been to prevent himself from going back to that life, but he's sincerely lying to himself almost as a way to find some kind of comfort with that being his possible fate. I mean, it isn't anymore, but at one point it was. 

Like someone else said too, it's cool that he has a very honest stance on wrestling being a job. He remembers opponents, not numbers. WM20 was bad because he didn't give a shit. It's all about the money. You take some other people with that stance and they're not bumping around like a fucking maniac or letting Roman punch the shit out of his face to make the prospect of losing look believable. Again, he says he doesn't have an attachment, but I think deep down, he does. 

Then there was the talk about him not being comfortable in public, but feeling ok in the arena because he's in a bubble of sorts.

Anyway, it was a really fascinating talk and an interesting peek into Lesnar's life and psyche. Props to Austin too for being a good interviewer and breaking the ice by talking about cool shit like Brock and his dad's love of Dodges, music preferences and food. I honestly could have gone for seeing some pictures of his muscle car or a longer discussion about how he uses the Big Green Egg and cooking. It's crazy that he has 4 of the fucking things. I could see Naimark listening to that and salivating. I really would love to know how Lesnar is preparing his food, how long he's letting it smoke, what his favorite cut of steak is, etc. It was also cool seeing Lesnar's restored F-150. Of the things I have no knowledge for, I would love to restore a car or truck, or have the money to pay someone to do the work.

The one thing I was most looking forward to was: I've heard the story about Austin walking out a lot of times from Steve's perspective. To him, it's a big thing because he doesn't feel he handled it well, wasn't professional, etc.

To Brock: Meh.

Brock is a lazy man trapped in the body of an elite athlete.

I kinda appreciate Brock's honesty. Everybody always kayfabes the "I love the business, I always loved the business" element but that's statistically impossible. No chance everyone loves the business.

Eh, I think this is true more often than not. I think you'd have to be really passionate about being a wrestler to make it to the level where people want to hear a shoot interview with you. I think the big difference is that unlike 99.9% of wrestlers, Brock didn't grow up as a fan. It's really impressive how quickly he picked it up and how good he is, but it makes for a dull interview about wrestling.

Like Vincey, I fully appreciated Brock's honesty - at the end of the day, it's a business for him, and he's doing what will make him the most money.  It's refreshing to hear that kind of mindset from a pro wrestler because they're usually the complete opposite - expecting their current run to last forever and not planning for the future.

Like Vincey, I fully appreciated Brock's honesty - at the end of the day, it's a business for him, and he's doing what will make him the most money.  It's refreshing to hear that kind of mindset from a pro wrestler because they're usually the complete opposite - expecting their current run to last forever and not planning for the future.

Oh sure, let's ignore Kevin Nash!

(Actually Nash was about treating it as a business AND still trying to keep his spot. Those 2 things rarely work out together in Pro-Wrestling)

James

• Like 1

I enjoyed the shit out of this.  Brock didn't grow up a wrestling fan. I think because I grew up a huge wrestling fan I want to hear my favorite wrestlers reference shit that I grew up on like "oh he gets it!" but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. Brock still GETS IT despite no previous knowledge for the business and no love for the business. I respect that he's honest, that wrestling is just a job. But here's the thing also. He is really fucking great at his job and he doesn't take it easy at all. He treats every job he has very seriously and puts in 100% effort when he's out there. That's all an employer or a fan can ask.

• Like 3

Yeah, for most of us who work in fields where only a certain amount of abuse of workers is tolerated, we're not looking for people who want to eat, sleep, conbreathe their jobs anyway. Just be here when you're here and do a good job. Work/life balance is gonna make someone happier and more productive anyway.

I kinda appreciate Brock's honesty. Everybody always kayfabes the "I love the business, I always loved the business" element but that's statistically impossible. No chance everyone loves the business.

Eh, I think this is true more often than not. I think you'd have to be really passionate about being a wrestler to make it to the level where people want to hear a shoot interview with you. I think the big difference is that unlike 99.9% of wrestlers, Brock didn't grow up as a fan. It's really impressive how quickly he picked it up and how good he is, but it makes for a dull interview about wrestling.

I think you have to be some sort of insane to do it, and that requires a passion most people don't have. I think it was Al Snow who talked about you have to be some sort of sadist to get into this business let alone like it. He's right. Low pay, high injury rate, super low chance of success, few if any happy endings. If you look at wrestling from an outsiders perspective, it really makes very little sense as something to do as a goal. It takes a certain type of insanity to go after it.

I've never entirely bought the old meme of "back in the day, we weren't marks, we were only in this for the money". Unless you're one of the bigger stars in the industry, there's just never been that much money in being a wrestler. The promoter always takes the majority of the profit, followed by the top stars, and then everyone else on the card has to share the leftover crumbs. Even in the established territories, it wasn't unusual for the undercard guys to be making like twenty bucks a night on the house show circuit. There's plenty of jobs which reliably pay much better than the salary of a journeyman wrestler (and remember, there's dozens of journeymen for every single big star). There's no way these guys chose such a bizarre and difficult career simply for a mediocre paycheck. They were in it because they liked it, just like the majority of people in the majority of show-business careers.

I'm sure there were plenty of "marks" among the wrestlers in the old days.  Look at all the guys who couldn't give up the spoitlight long after their time was up.  If it was "just a job" for them, well, you normally get a new job when the one you have isn't working out anymore, and they didn't do that did they?  And what about headcases like Flair who stopped being able to separate the man from the character, even when it became a detriment to their lives?  I think there are more guys today that are into it for "markish" reasons but the old timers are full of shit when they talk about only being into it for the money.

I think a lot of guys are like Brock and use wrestling as way to channel their aggression into something that won't land them in jail. After all, you can only play football so long and combat sports may be too technical unless you start training young.

RAW's rating went down again. 2.2 this week.  They did gain some viewers back but that number is the worst non-holiday number in many years. On the flip side, you had Monday Night Football and with that the premiere of the Star Wars trailer. 

Still, it's rough. You have Austin, Lesnar, HBK, Undertaker and Flair all on the show. 

I know this is how ratings work, but I love everyone flipping out about the ratings when they actually had more people watch this week than last.  The old guys brought more viewers, but as someone else pointed out, they lost them as the show went on.

I'm fine with them blowing this Shield reunion with little hype, considering how obvious it was that Seth was going to walk out or screw his partners at some point.