DVDVR Message Board

They can't really have that anymore though.  TNA has been in business longer than they were.

The story of TNA will actually be "Who in the fuck spent all this money to keep this shitty promotion going for so long?"  

As I get older my interest in wrestling has basically disappeared, but my fascination with the business side of things has grown exponentially. As I follow the story of TNA, it's ratings failure, and utter incompetence by upper management I am very interested in that question. It has to be making money for someone right? Why else would it still be in business otherwise? Every other wrestling organization that wasn't making money is gone. Yet there is so much negative associated the company I can’t grasp how it continues to be profitable. Where is/was the money being made and for whom? Talent has openly complained about not getting paid, ditto for production crew, so where is the profit going?

I think it's been pretty widely reported that TNA's only made a profit for one or two years out of its whole existence. Their backing from Panda is what's kept them from declaring bankruptcy. For all that TNA likes to brag about how popular their product is overseas, they're remarkably vague when it comes to discussing specific revenue streams or any other monetary figures.

They can't really have that anymore though.  TNA has been in business longer than they were.

The story of TNA will actually be "Who in the fuck spent all this money to keep this shitty promotion going for so long?"  

As I get older my interest in wrestling has basically disappeared, but my fascination with the business side of things has grown exponentially. As I follow the story of TNA, it's ratings failure, and utter incompetence by upper management I am very interested in that question. It has to be making money for someone right? Why else would it still be in business otherwise? Every other wrestling organization that wasn't making money is gone. Yet there is so much negative associated the company I can’t grasp how it continues to be profitable. Where is/was the money being made and for whom? Talent has openly complained about not getting paid, ditto for production crew, so where is the profit going?

• Like 2

I wrote it in the other thread too, but I think Jingus is correct. Meltzer and others were reporting that TNA actually turned a profit in 2009. Up to that point, despite all of the BS, I think you could see an upward arc from where they started to where they were. So the logical next step? Why, spend a whole lot of money on Hogan, Bischoff, Bubba the Love Sponge...in other words, re-create the Monday Night Warz. Its the future of wrestling.

TNA thought that by turning a profit, they were now in position to go for the brass ring and try to compete directly with WWE, and holy shit, were they wrong.

I forget where I read it (LOLTNA?) but they apparently spent over four million dollars on all the talent they brought in for the big Monday debut, and within six months, almost if not all of them were gone from the company with nothing to show for it. 

All TNA really has done long-term is keep a few people out of WWE that might've ended up there.  I'm pretty sure Sting is the best example - without TNA dangling the easy contract carrot in front of him every time his expired, he would've either been in WWE years earlier or, conversely, might've just said fuck it and stayed retired altogether.

I'm so sad Sting got hurt, man. Every second of that Rollins match until that injury proved that he could still go. I am utterly convinced that had they brought him in instead of, say, Scott Steiner way back in 2003, he could've had a career resurgence rivaled only by maybe Shawn or Flair.

• Like 1

That clip is so accurate in that it explained nothing and I wish I hadn't watched it. Can you explain how it is wise to write off millions of dollars in a venture that seems unprofitable?

• Like 1

That clip is so accurate in that it explained nothing and I wish I hadn't watched it. Can you explain how it is wise to write off millions of dollars in a venture that seems unprofitable?

Tread lightly, dude, that's Seinfeld you're shitting on.

It's more valuable to the company to keep Dixie in her own unprofitable wing rather than allowing her to ruin any of the profitable portions of the business. They can afford it.

• Like 1

I think the actual reason companies write thing off is because of the possibility of future gains, through selling the enterprise or the enterprise actually turning around and becoming profitable. Different pieces of a conglomeration could be unprofitable year to year based on different circumstances.

In the case of TNA its the daughter of the owner trying to make something out of it so I am sure they are way more forgiving than another venture. Plus, the losses are probably peanuts compared the rest profits, I'm sure it's comparable to whatever Paris Hiltons dad gives to her to do whatever it is she does.

Did you ever notice how men always leave the toilet seat up?

That's the joke.

I'm so sad Sting got hurt, man. Every second of that Rollins match until that injury proved that he could still go. I am utterly convinced that had they brought him in instead of, say, Scott Steiner way back in 2003, he could've had a career resurgence rivaled only by maybe Shawn or Flair.

Shawn and Flair were not part of WCW in the eyes of WWE. Sting was the face of WCW, they would've jobbed him out so fast.

Shawn and Flair were not part of WCW in the eyes of WWE. Sting was the face of WCW, they would've jobbed him out so fast.

That's a great point. I want to believe they would've treated him better than Steiner, Booker, Goldberg, or Nash just because he did such huge business in 97 and 98, but you're probably right. On the other hand, even if they did job him out to reign of terror era HHH, I really don't know that he would've fallen far enough to feud with Test like Steiner or form a comedy team with Goldust like Booker.

That actually would have been really cool I bet. But assuming they brought him in before WM XIX we could've also gotten Sting vs. Angle, Brock, Rock, Austin, Shawn, Jericho, Foley or even A healthy Undertaker. Edge would've been a good one. He and Eddie would've tore it up. Even him vs. flair or Hogan in a WWE ring would've been a treat. He probably could've had a super fun street fight with Vince like those two did. And assuming he stuck around, he could've been part of getting Orton, Cena and Batista over.

Ok sorry guys that's enough of my fantasy 2003 Sting booking, I promise

• Like 1