DVDVR Message Board

I think he deserves more than what he got at the time. I still firmly believe he should've been the one to end the streak at Havoc and enter 1999 as the face-champion.

Hell, even DDP taking the belt off Goldberg at Havoc 98 and then being plugged into Goldberg's spot (losing to Nash, fucked over by the nWo in the rematch, etc) would've worked out better considering how things went.  (DDP probably would've carried the stupid angle with Elizabeth claiming assault on 1/4 better as well.)

Also, DDP probably wouldn't have tried to punch out a car window with his bare hands.

Wrong nWo reunion.

Re: merchandise I remember someone claiming when the bought a wcw figure the it would scan as a hogan figure even if it wasn't at toys r us.

Is that the same as the aforementioned Jericho anecdote or another example?

I don't recall it as a jericho anecdote, I think it was on a previous doctor who life of this board or the other arena.

DDP ending the streak would've been great.

The Diamond Cutter was so over, you could probably save the majority of Goldberg's heat just by letting him kick out of one, but have him still be out of it enough DDP could just get him up and hit a second one for the win right away.

Way better than a taser.

Have WCW merch numbers ever came out?

Based on the famous Jericho anecdote, should any numbers be seen as credible?
HATED that story for years as I always looked at it being something Jericho over exaggerated. Then again, Sullivan recently has claimed that Hogan got 50% of all live show merchandise so maybe there actually was something there to it.

You really don't think a corporation would do shady and hard to prove things in order to make their top talent happy and probably cut down on cost to other talent?

The "Vince's limo driver is in the Hall so ANYBODY can get in" stuff needs to go away. James Dudley was the first black pro-wrestling promoter and did a bunch for the business. Koko B Ware and Nikolai Volkoff being in are a much bigger argument for "anybody can get in" than James Dudley.

• Like 1

DDP regularly got good pops during that period.  Sting and Goldberg regularly made the building shake during that period.

The "Vince's limo driver is in the Hall so ANYBODY can get in" stuff needs to go away. James Dudley was the first black pro-wrestling promoter and did a bunch for the business.

A bunch for the business such as...?

As a "promoter" he basically collected the box office receipts for the DC venue and delivered them to Vince, Sr.  Sometimes he waved a towel.  Mostly he drove a limo.  I assume he buried a body at some point as well.

• Like 1

I don't think putting DDP over Goldberg would've been the right way to end the streak either. It would have probably been better than the ridiculous one-two combo of the tazering and the finger-poking coming on back-to-back nights, sure. But I think Goldberg's streak and title reign both had a lot more gas in the tank. Once he won the title WCW should've been booking Goldberg exactly like the WWF booked Hogan in 1985.

James "Big Daddy" Dudley? I heard he poked a hontus...

Of course! Where else did you think Dances With Dudleys came from?

I assume he buried a body at some point as well.

I'm assuming that's why he got inducted into the Hall.

Page was fucking great. Watch that match with Goldberg again. The way he lays the entire thing out based around the potential of one move is jaw dropping.

Great match. Best match either man had.

I still firmly believe he should've been the one to end the streak at Havoc and enter 1999 as the face-champion.

In retrospect, this would have been the very best way to end Goldberg's streak without it seeming cheap or forced. People believed that 1) the Diamond Cutter equaled death and that 2) DDP could hit it from anywhere at any time and immediately turn the tide of a match.

DDP getting the win off that Diamond Cutter that popped the roof off the place at Havoc would have been totally accepted by the crowd.

DDP ending the streak would've been great.

The Diamond Cutter was so over, you could probably save the majority of Goldberg's heat just by letting him kick out of one, but have him still be out of it enough DDP could just get him up and hit a second one for the win right away.

Way better than a taser.

Agree with all. Man talking about the Halloween Havoc 1998 match is making me want to watch it again. I'd give you all likes but I'm out for the day.

Goldbergs booking after he won the title ridiculous. Held off of several ppvs, only main evented two of them. Was a complete afterthought

The story of WCW isn't that they went out of business.  The story of WCW is, "How in the fuck did they stay in business for so long?" 

Page didn't get anything he didn't deserve. He was friends with Bischoff in '94 when he was jobbing and easy sudden the cats.

I have no idea what this means but it's awesome.  It reads like you had a stroke mid-post.

I think he deserves more than what he got at the time. I still firmly believe he should've been the one to end the streak at Havoc and enter 1999 as the face-champion.

(DDP probably would've carried the stupid angle with Elizabeth claiming assault on 1/4 better as well.)

DDP definitely has more of a sexual predator or a "I'll slap a broad" vibe to him than Goldberg.

• Like 2

I have no facts to base this on, bu I'm pretty sure DDP was a pimp at one time in his life, so I totally catch the "I'll slap a broad" vibe.  I feel like Goldberg gave off more of a "I'll raise my voice, go into a roid rage, and slam my shoulder into the ground like Ben Affleck in that after school speical" vibe.  

DDP strikes me as a dude who will slap a broad, and then convince himself that it hurt him more than it hurt her. 

• Like 2

How well did his merchandise sell? What ratings did his quarter-hours pull?

Anyone? How about the buyrates for the PPVs he main evented? "He got huge crowd pops!" isn't something you can quantify. Someone provide some numbers comparing him to other guys in the top spot around the same time.

CRZ's recaps of that era generally had the quarter-hours, IIRC.