DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

And I watched Blade Runner: The Directors Cut. I hadn't seen Blade Runner in so long that I forgot how trippy a lot of it was. Gonna move up to The Final Cut when I get a chance to see how much of a difference there is.

Don't expect much difference.  The two cuts are basically identical in terms of content.  The Final Cut just cleans up a few little mistakes and shaky visuals from the original, changes like two words of dialogue, and that's about it.  It's still the definitive cut and easily the prettiest-looking remastered print, but it's still essentially the exact same movie as the Director's Cut.  

No Voiceover, No Peace

Plastic Surgery just makes you look like you've had plastic surgery.  I can't think of a time plastic surgery actually benefited anyone's looks.

I think the key is to 1) get a great surgeon 2) don't over do it.

It would be naive to think people like Lucy Liu or Gillian Anderson or Helen Mirren (who all look amazing) haven't had anything done. They probably have. They just don't go crazy with it. Kim Cattral said something similar when she explained why she got botox and other minor things but didn't want to go much further with it in case she ended up looking freakish.

Don't think McGillis looks bad so much as she just looks her age.

Exactly, no one ages the same.

There's nothing wrong with plastic surgery when done correctly.  Halle Berry has the best nose job of them all, and it took her from really beautiful to damn near physically flawless.  Chelsea Clinton's work is fantastic.  It helps that she did it right as she was coming out of her teens/early 20s to where you'd think she was simply growing into her looks. It was a final growth spurt along with surgery.  It looks great.

Jennifer Grey doesn't look entirely different.  She took away the one thing that made her physically unique. Which is too bad, but obviously her choice.  I'm sure she had her reasons.

90% of Hollywood has had something nipped and tucked.  If anyone thinks RDJ is aging gracefully on his own, you're kidding yourselves.  But only when a man goes into John Travolta/Kenny Rogers/Bruce Jenner territory do they get ripped for it. A woman can get nearly anything done and we're analyzing her mental stability.

All the people demanding that Renee be honest should drink bleach.  Be honest about what?  What she did or didn't do is her business.  She owes us no explanation.  She doesn't look like Jocelyn Wildenstein, anyway.  If she's healthy and happy, that's all that matters.  Even if she's lying--so?  Why judge her for being vain?  Nearly everyone is vain.  It makes her human. I say let her be.

I remember watching an interview with a Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon and he said, without fail, the most common thing people said to him was "please don't make me look like Michael Jackson."

Done correctly, it can make you look great. But definitely with people like Jackson and Li'l Kim you do wish doctors would say no because there's obviously mental issues there.

ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE is kind of hypnotic. Like, basically nothing happens, but you can't look away.

It is one of the best vampire movies in recent memory that is not named Let The Right One In.

You know what I love about that movie? The opening bits where the camera is spinning like a record player and he makes and edit that makes it look like the spindle is equivalent to a stake through a heart.

Among other things of course.

You know what I love about that movie? The opening bits where the camera is spinning like a record player and he makes and edit that makes it look like the spindle is equivalent to a stake through a heart.

Among other things of course.

Now you guys are going to make me pick it back up and actually watch it this time.

I had it for like four days from Red Box before I realized I was never getting around to seeing it.

It's good. I find it very easy to get distracted when I'm watching movies at home, even when I really like the movie. This is one of those movies that commands your attention. Despite the fact that it doesn't really have a plot.

What did ScarJo have done? She doesn't look weird or anything.  I know Megan Fox went down the wrong path.

Didn't mean to imply she looks weird.  FAR from it.  Oh no, she had GREAT work done.  She (at least) had her nose touched up:

stars_plastic_surgery_12.jpg

It is a nice nose job. I just hate any kind of plastic surgery. I can understand if someone was horribly burned or any number of reasons to have it done but a girl like Megan Fox was unbelievably fine. Why start tinkering with your face like that?  She was still in her 20's!

Lindsey Lohan as well, although in her case drugs play a role as well. . . .

It is a nice nose job. I just hate any kind of plastic surgery. I can understand if someone was horribly burned or any number of reasons to have it done but a girl like Megan Fox was unbelievably fine. Why start tinkering with your face like that?  She was still in her 20's!

Amanda Seyfried told a story once about how some people in the business told her to get botox so she'd look a bit better and more smoother on camera.

She was 24.

John Wick is getting great reviews.

I suspected a movie with a guy avenging his cute dead dog would do well. People will simply not stand for anything bad happening to a cute dog and will want revenge dished out.

Remember that one movie with the aliens being light or some stupid shit? I remember in the movie theater I was in, the only reaction the movie got was when the dog got killed. Other than that, absolutely no fucks were given.

And watching the 2013 remake of Carrie. Man, I hate how technology has ruined movies. The shower scene ended up on Youtube. Then ends up on the prom's projection scene, but no reaction because everyone has already scene it. People actually survived because what's her tits had her cellphone and called 911 before Carrie was done wrecking shit. The special effects are really uncalled for because what little mayhem goes on in the big scene doesn't feel natural like a person snapping, but rather like Carrie practiced that shit in case something went down. idk idk The worst part was the hot, slutty Chris is not a looker and Carrie looks better.

I don't hate remakes, but at least try to tell a story with a little nuance.