DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

I haven't seen it yet either, but pretty much every review I've read except Tabe's has been, whether overall positive or negative, absolutely lavish in praising the editing and pacing of the film.

It's lonely being the sole voice of reason.

Gone Girl is perfectly fine when you accept that it is a fable and an indictment of relativism.  Perception may be reality, but it is not truth.  This is the moral of the story.

If you are looking for a movie where the ending is tied up with a pretty bow and where good people are good and bad people are bad, this is not the movie for you.

Accept it for what it is and you will enjoy the experience much better.

Was hoping to get out and see Gone Girl tomorrow night with the lady. It will be our first "date night" out since we had our baby 2 months ago. Not sure when we'll get another night out. Reading this thread is making me possibly rethink the movie we're going to go see. If we're getting out to see our first movie in months, I want it to be a good experience and not disappointing.

Was hoping to get out and see Gone Girl tomorrow night with the lady. It will be our first "date night" out since we had our baby 2 months ago. Not sure when we'll get another night out. Reading this thread is making me possibly rethink the movie we're going to go see. If we're getting out to see our first movie in months, I want it to be a good experience and not disappointing.

Do not go see Addicted as your date movie.  You may wind up with another kid in nine months, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Do not go see Addicted as your date movie.  You may wind up with another kid in nine months, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Do not listen to this man, MonteCarl.  Kidnapping is wrong.  Today, nine months from now ... not even once.

• Like 3

I saw Gone Girl the other night and agree with you guys. It was pretty good but felt like they could have lopped off about 20 minutes. It definitely had the feel of a dark comedy to me b/c it was so over the top. And am I the only one who found the sister more attractive than Amy?

I saw Gone Girl the other night and agree with you guys. It was pretty good but felt like they could have lopped off about 20 minutes. It definitely had the feel of a dark comedy to me b/c it was so over the top. And am I the only one who found the sister more attractive than Amy?

You're not the only one.  I didn't realize until I saw Gone Girl that my dream girl is a glasses-wearin', board game-playin' bartender.

Gone Girl was sold out last Friday night, so I saw Annabelle instead.  Having now seen Gone Girl, it was infinitely more terrifying (at least psychologically) and darkly humorous..

• Like 1

It IS totally over the top, but it's worth mentioning the segments that spoof Nancy Grace actually underplay how nuts and self-righteous she is.

I came away thinking, "wow, they really portrayed Nancy Grace favorably here."

Watched 8½.  Pretty good. This was off that Criterion sale they had.  Fairly fast shipping and tax free.  Also got For All Mankind and Seven Samurai.  Seen Seven Samurai years ago so I'm due. Then I'm looking up shit about 8½ afterwards and see this weird Daniel Day-Lewis musical movie.  What a fucking weird thing.

Having read the book, I do think Neil Patrick Harris might have been miscast.

He nailed the creepiness, but he just wasn't scary whereas in the novel...

Desi comes off as so fucked up and controlling, it actually turns Amy babyface for a while because your rooting for her to escape from this nutcase.

I've been covering the Chicago International Film Fest for the past week. Seen some really cool flicks. I think people here might dig this film called BUZZARD, which I wrote about here: http://www.soundonsight.org/ciff-2014-buzzard-is-slacker-cinema-without-cool-pretensions/

It's made by a guy named Joel Potrykus, who basically makes no budget films with his friends. It's pretty fucking good.

Having read the book, I do think Neil Patrick Harris might have been miscast.

He nailed the creepiness, but he just wasn't scary whereas in the novel...

Desi comes off as so fucked up and controlling, it actually turns Amy babyface for a while because your rooting for her to escape from this nutcase.

Interesting. I'm actually pleased they didn't go that direction

I've been covering the Chicago International Film Fest for the past week. Seen some really cool flicks. I think people here might dig this film called BUZZARD, which I wrote about here: http://www.soundonsight.org/ciff-2014-buzzard-is-slacker-cinema-without-cool-pretensions/

It's made by a guy named Joel Potrykus, who basically makes no budget films with his friends. It's pretty fucking good.

That screenshot is Dean fuckin' Ambrose.

• Like 2

What blew me away was the Michael Ironside interview for the Criterion version where he's talking about how his brother had psychic powers.  For real.

Revok was just going to be that black and white footage but then became a much bigger part.

The Wolf of Wall Street: Highlight of this movie is Leonardo DiCaprio proving he's better at physical comedy than anyone else on the planet, including actual comedians. I did find it kind of disturbing after hours of laughing at his antics, he suddenly turns around and punches his wife in the stomach. It's like, oh, right. This is meant to be a drama.

It's good, but something feels like it's missing something. It felt like a bloated, overly long version of Goodfellas, with much less depth and even more detestable characters. I know the whole thing about the movie that people didn't like was "Oh, it makes it all look so much fun." I don't think it does. Being around people like this in real life would make my skin crawl and they have all the personality depth of a child's waddle pool. MONEY. DRUGS. SEX. MORE MONEY. SEX. DRUGS.