DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Remember that one movie with the aliens being light or some stupid shit? I remember in the movie theater I was in, the only reaction the movie got was when the dog got killed. Other than that, absolutely no fucks were given.

And watching the 2013 remake of Carrie. Man, I hate how technology has ruined movies. The shower scene ended up on Youtube. Then ends up on the prom's projection scene, but no reaction because everyone has already scene it. People actually survived because what's her tits had her cellphone and called 911 before Carrie was done wrecking shit. The special effects are really uncalled for because what little mayhem goes on in the big scene doesn't feel natural like a person snapping, but rather like Carrie practiced that shit in case something went down. idk idk The worst part was the hot, slutty Chris is not a looker and Carrie looks better.

I don't hate remakes, but at least try to tell a story with a little nuance.

Someone brought up a few other criticisms in one of the horror movie threads, but one of the main marks against the remake is of how much darker the original is not only in tone of the story but also the cinematography and setting.  The interior and exterior of the house in the original film look like that sketchy house at the edge of a suburban neighborhood everyone stayed  away from because of the unsavory reputation it had.  It looked run down but still inhabited - like it was the place that might actually house some creepy fundamentalist shut-in types.  The interior of the house in the original was especially unsettling.  It wasn't abject squalor or anything like that, but dirty and outdated and filled with unsettling religious bricabrac, especially the more morbid depictions of Jesus and whatnot.  This was stuff more associated with the hellfire and brimstone types than just your average backwater fundie.

I realize it was the late 70s/early 80s and people didn't look as polished back then, but you also had to main actresses who looked disheveled and slightly deranged.  Nothing against Juliane Moore's acting ability, but she's too conventionally attractive to play the role, and the girl in the remake was your typical "attractive girl who always dresses frumpy and has poor hygiene but after a makeover everyone can see she's hot" trope.

I watched The Purge. What a piece of fucking shit this movie was. It was as big of a pile of dogshit as I suspected it to be. The high point was in the beginning of the movie, in the montage of security camera footage, when one of videos was from South Bend, IN.

Oculus on the other hand was great. I did not expect it to end like that. The movie was a tad confusing at times, but I think that was the point.

Neighbors was great as well. It really cracked my girlfriend and me up. Yeah, it was dumb at times, but it was overall very enjoyable.

• Like 1

Just watched Stretch.  It might be a little under the radar because it went straight to video on demand, but it's good times.  Patrick Wilson plays a limo driver in Hollywood who has to come up with some money by midnight to repay gambling debts.  Ed Helms, with a Vincent Price mustache, plays the ghost of a dead limo driver who provides unhelpful jibes from the back seat.  Chris Pine, sporting a Rob-Zombie-at-his-most-hirsute hair & beard combo, if you can imagine that, plays an eccentric billionaire who may be the key to getting that money.  Also, because limo drivers in Hollywood drive around celebrities, there are cameos from a couple of celebrities playing themselves.  It's going for R-rated outrageousness, like lots of profanity and drugs, colorful characters like a guy who counts a wad of money with his tongue, and there's a scene where Wilson does a surprisingly good Clint Eastwood impression.  I'd say if you liked Crank, but maybe wanted it to slow down just a tad, you'd enjoy this.

IxLOZrD.jpg

Behold a beardless Kevin Smith.

Jesus H. Christ. He looks like he's still in high school. How could someone in their 40s be so ridiculously baby faced?

One day I will post one of my current photos.  If it weren't for my sparse grey hairs in my head, you'd swear I was in college.

Smith said he shaved because he had to do green screen shoots for his movie Yoga Hosers

That is the movie that is staring Smith, Johnny Depp, and Smith's and Depp's daughters

Smith said he shaved because he had to do green screen shoots for his movie Yoga Hosers

That is the movie that is staring Smith, Johnny Depp, and Smith's and Depp's daughters

Good god. From Wiki:

The film centers on 15-year-old yoga nuts Colleen Collette (Lily-Rose Depp) and Colleen McKenzie (Harley Quinn Smith), who have an after-school job at a Manitoba convenience store called Eh-2-Zed. When an ancient evil rises from beneath Canada’s crust and threatens their big invitation to a Grade 12 party, the Colleens join forces with a legendary man-hunter from Montreal named Guy Lapointe (Depp).

and then there is this:

According to Kevin Smith, the third and final film in his True North Trilogy will be entitled Moose Jaws which he credits the film as "Jaws with a moose".

I... I give up. There aren't words.

Nightbreed Director's Cut was released today(the most complete version of the film derived from a VHS workprint thought to be lost forever). Anyone order it so I can pester you about whether or not we've been missing out on greatness all these years?

Finally watched The Raid: Redemption and loved it.  I wasn't that excited to see a martial arts movie since the first Ong-Bak, and it delivered in spades.

Those fight scenes were completely bonkers, but Mad Dog was probably my MVP for the movie.  That fight between him and the sergeant is a masterpiece.