DVDVR Message Board

May 2024 Wrestling Talk

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How are Seth and Becky not the biggest heels dressed like that? Everything about their appearance screams ASSHOLE.

People have been dressing ridiculously at the Derby forever. Good for them for taking it a little crazier. 
He looks like a million bucks and he's about to con a town into starting a boy's band.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I dunno if the Derby (or any of the Triple Crown races) is where people go to dress crazy. Yes, the big hats are a thing. However, usually it's nothing that looks wild for attending horse racing.

Now the Met Gala especially since they have different theme every year, that seems like it's right up Seth's alley. It's for folks who believe themselves to be fashion mavens, but also may have escaped the local insane asylum.

If it didn't happen on a Monday every year and the WWE folks were slightly bigger celebs, that would be some pub that the WWE usually doesn't get.

4 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Didn't AJPW's Brute Issei retire because Minoru Suzuki took a liking to bullying him and intentionally seperated his shoulder in a match?

It was a separated shoulder injury that basically kept coming back. Don't recall Suzuki being the one that caused it, but its been years since then.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How are Seth and Becky not the biggest heels dressed like that? Everything about their appearance screams ASSHOLE.

To be fair, what they are wearing can be considered fairly low-key for Derby dress. Especially Seth. 

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not to bring this back, but I love the indirect Ospreay shot coming from the entity that went all in on Gable Steveson.

But yeah, Paul Levesque is Paul Levesque and this isn't what he's initially trained in. Could someone become better suited at this especially over time? Sure, but one of people's first defense mechanisms is "well, he's just working the marks" like it's 1997 and everyone is still insulated in the wrestling bubble. As said as much weeks ago when this was a hot button issue, the sooner he comes out of that, the better he will be at his job. If he doesn't, that is what we have to look forward to. 

Overall, maybe it's a Dana White (another person who wasn't someone who came from a corporate environment) thing where he's only there to act as a middle man and to make folks feel like that the corporate overlords haven't fully taken over the field. The only difference is Dana has been with the UFC long enough where his vision has been fully realized twice over, and Mick Maynard and Sean Shelby can do their jobs without him. Do people at TKO feel like Paul is just so integral that he cannot be replaced with someone just as knowledgeable and with similar expertise? 

The Ospreay thing!  Thank you!  When I was writing that post, I was racking my brain trying to recall the other instance of this goober saying something snarky and supposedly below the level of an executive.  Then again, there's no shame or anything too low in any industry anymore, I guess.

Really great point about TKO probably keeping him (and Steph, too) around just as friendly faces to make the fans comfortable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dragonzombie said:

Per PWInsider, Jerry Lawler is no longer with WWE, they didn't want to renew his contract.

Tony Khan, please don't put Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler back together. Fuck.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Per PWInsider, Jerry Lawler is no longer with WWE, they didn't want to renew his contract.

It's because of the '93 statutory rape thing, right?  Thanks, Gulak.

Edited by Peck
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peck said:

It's because of the '93 statutory rape thing, right?  Thanks, Gulak.

Well there are a ton of reasons why bringing Jerry Lawler as commentator in 2024 is a bad idea.  But I would think the #1 on the list is Tony making that Harvey Weinstein line on the NFL Network.  It is bad enough you brought in Ric Flair to begin with

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Well there are a ton of reasons why bringing Jerry Lawler as commentator in 2024 is a bad idea.  But I would think the #1 on the list is Tony making that Harvey Weinstein line on the NFL Network.  It is bad enough you brought in Ric Flair to begin with

I should have quoted. I was referring to WWE not renewing his contract, not AEW bringing him in.

I'd be cool with Lawler risking another in-ring heart attack in AEW. Show them kids how to punch! (Just don't show em how to do... anything else...)

If Rollins reads magazines (doubtful) it'd be interesting to see what fashion crap comes to his mailbox. His Bookmarks section is probably riddled with ridiculousness.

1 hour ago, dragonzombie said:

Tony, No! Goddammit! No!

• Thanks 3

I think the best joke I heard about the Kentucky Derby look was Jim Valley saying that he used to watch Georgia Championship Wrestling from Becky Lynch's hat 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

To AEW's credit after Sting retired Flair hasn't been around since.  He was on less often to begin with after he had a live mic and had to apologize for it.  So if all he's good for is a sponsorship for some mid-level energy drink they fine by me.  But if Lawler does show up even one time I'm turning off AEW for at least a month or so.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Reports are amending and pointing out that only Lawler's Full-time announcer contract was up, he's still on his Legends deal so he can't really go anywhere else currently.  It's likely meaning less Lawler on pre-show panels and more Big E and Punk (until he's healed).  Replacing Lawler with Big E is a massive upgrade.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 3