DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 5/1 - 5/7/2024 - Little Ditty 'Bout Jack & Tony Khan

Got home in time to see Willow and Sky Blue and that was a lot of fun. Those two are my favorite women in AEW and would be high in my list of favorites period. Skye is really coming into her own lately and these hardcore matches have been fun showcases for her. 

• Like 1

Another pretty great night of wrestling.  I remain in favor of keeping with these 3 hour events, alternating Rampage from Collision to Dynamite like they've been doing lately has been highly enjoyable. Live Rampage will just always work better. Loved the show-closing angle just continuing on in to Rampage. Looking forward to the eventual Okada/Omega AEW showdown one day.

Copeland/Buddy was a real good 20+ minute opener.  Joe/Kassidy had an all time "Joe walks away from the dive" spot on Isiah's tope. Jericho/Shibata was fun.

Serena/Mariah good stuff as expected. My favorite Excalibur line on Mariah's running knee strike "Check your calendar, cause it's gonna be MAY!". Didn't even realize at the time that was the Dynamite main event match. 

the Manitoba Massacre! was another in the classic hardcore women's matches. This ruled and the escalation of violence culminating in the barbed wire board was great stuff. Skye's definitely becoming an MVP of these type matches. Technically the women main evented both Dynamite and Rampage match-wise. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Sounds like it took several minutes to cut Skye Blue out of the barbed wire. Insane spot.

Must have been their tribute to the Sandman episode of Dark Side.

• Like 2

Christian had some good points about why he'd want to go after Swerve, but that's a really underwhelming first ppv defense for Swerve. Pretty much the AEW version of the new champ feuding with Kane. I could get behind Christian as part of a multi-man match, but that's about it. Come to think of it, a multi-man match to tie up Swerve's loose ends and transition into something new would've been much better. Christian, Keith Lee, and Jack Perry (who the brain genius Bucks convince he'll have an easy path to gold).

I don't know how he does it, but Jericho stays winning. His disingenuous babyface act played perfectly in Winnipeg, and he had a low key violent match with Shibata who played the "technical guy adjusting to hardcore match" role well. Ending could've been better, but these two delivered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Christian had some good points about why he'd want to go after Swerve, but that's a really underwhelming first ppv defense for Swerve. Pretty much the AEW version of the new champ feuding with Kane. I could get behind Christian as part of a multi-man match, but that's about it. Come to think of it, a multi-man match to tie up Swerve's loose ends and transition into something new would've been much better. Christian, Keith Lee, and Jack Perry (who the brain genius Bucks convince he'll have an easy path to gold).

I don't know how he does it, but Jericho stays winning. His disingenuous babyface act played perfectly in Winnipeg, and he had a low key violent match with Shibata who played the "technical guy adjusting to hardcore match" role well. Ending could've been better, but these two delivered.

I remember when Omega faced Christian on the first Rampage episode, which was like three weeks before his AEW title defense against him at All Out ‘21. I didn’t think it would be a banger match, but it was. Both were, actually. Swerve isn’t Omega obviously, but he’s no slouch, and Christian just gets better with age, so I’m okay with this. It’s definitely better than what I had seen people saying online, which was that Perry was going to be thrust into the title scene immediately.

Also, Omega has to be somewhat okay, right? I know the diverticulitis diagnosis is real, but he was taking bumps and actual shots to the gut. And telling Okada give him a few months?? I mean, it would be insane, but Blood & Guts is in a few months I believe. Only other wrinkle in that is that FTR Hair might be in jail by then. Otherwise… Omega, FTR, Ibush or Hangman versus The New Elite??

Everyone wants to fantasy book Jamie Hayter returning and winning the title at Wembley, but I wonder if the plan isn’t for Mariah May to win the title at All In. It’s the natural conclusion of the All About Eve story, or continuation of the story depending on how much they want to ape from the movie.

Last thing, they need to let Kyle O’Reilly just be himself. Go watch his Hey EW episode and then watch him anytime he’s on screen. It’s night and day. He can still be violent as fuck in the ring but be a complete goofball outside of it. Someone said his personality is like if RJ and Omega had a baby and that’s so accurate.

• Like 1

“Aside from my actions, what have I done to deserve this?” - Stokely Hathaway, 2024.

• Like 6
  • Haha 16

i hope I am just being paranoid but I have a bad feeling that Kris Statlander is turning heel on Willow .  I did pop for "if Mick Foley was a Teletubby"   😂

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Coletti said:

Yeah that was the general belief, which for me came from hearing Mike Mitchell on the Doughboys podcast talk about heading to Canada soon to film the show.🤷🏻

DOUGHBOYS FAM REPRESENT

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Show closing angle with Kenny was really strong, and I liked the Bucks takeover aspect of things, but ultimately there were not nearly enough babyfaces protesting/standing up against the Elite on this episode. I think this episode needed to feel more chaotic overall, as opposed to mostly being a straightforward night of long matches sandwiched between a couple of good angles.

Also, at some point they’re going to have to do more on screen to explain why Brian Cage and the Gates of Agony aren’t around Swerve anymore. You could write it off as Swerve preferring to stand alone against lone wolf types like Hangman and Joe before, but when he’s getting gang beatdown by the Patriarchy, you start to wonder where they’re at. Especially when Nana is getting it, too, and he’s still canonically their boss on screen.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, EVA said:

Show closing angle with Kenny was really strong, and I liked the Bucks takeover aspect of things, but ultimately there were not nearly enough babyfaces protesting/standing up against the Elite on this episode. I think this episode needed to feel more chaotic overall, as opposed to mostly being a straightforward night of long matches sandwiched between a couple of good angles.

Babyfaces  being outraged about authority figures overstepping their bounds and doing nothing but being cowards is as old as the angle itself.  Hell I am waiting for them to bring back Paul Wight so they can make him cry.   As someone who isn't a fan of the authority angle to begin with, it is mildly encouraging that they aren't spending 80% of the show putting themselves over

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

i hope I am just being paranoid but I have a bad feeling that Kris Statlander is turning heel on Willow .  I did pop for "if Mick Foley was a Teletubby"   😂

We already lost the Best Friends, don't put this out there.  Don't put this evil on me, haha.

• Like 3

I am and have been vehemently opposed to breaking up Best Friends. No one wants to see these guys fight.

Now, that said, if you want to salvage this, then AEW’s version of Endgame to rescue the promotion from Elite tyranny later this year should have a reunited Best Friends - as the true heart and soul of the company from day one - neutralizing the Bucks while Omega deals with Okada. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

I mentioned after last Saturday's Shibata & Garcia team up that I would like to see them together as a regular team.

Now that we're getting Shibata vs Jericho, I wonder if this is the start of a battle for the soul of Garcia - Sports Entertainer vs Wrestler.

With Shibata being introduced as the newest member of BCC! 

On 5/1/2024 at 9:58 AM, Coletti said:

Yeah that was the general belief, which for me came from hearing Mike Mitchell on the Doughboys podcast talk about heading to Canada soon to film the show.🤷🏻

I know Canada is huge but if Joe is filming in Vancouver, couldn’t be too difficult for him to jet over to Winnipeg for Dynamite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Never expected Chris Jericho to start wearing trunks again. Last time was 2018.

These trunks seem to fit him better than his long ones did, so hoping he won't have to keep hiking his pants up during matches now.

• Like 3