DVDVR Message Board

RAW MOVING TO NETFLIX! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!

this is interesting

Netflix will also become the television home for all WWE shows outside the U.S. That includes fellow weekly shows “SmackDown” and “NXT” as well as annual live events like WrestleMania, SummerSlam and the Royal Rumble, as well as documentaries, original series and additional projects.

Metro.co.uk:

WWE has announced an historic deal with Netflix to bring Monday Night Raw to the streaming platform.

The wrestling giant’s flagship show – which currently airs on TNT Sports for viewers in the UK – will be available to stream live every week from January 2025 as part of a bumper new agreement.

For viewers in the UK, and other locations outside the United States, the deal includes all of WWE’s programming, including Friday Night SmackDown, NXT and premium live events like Royal Rumble and WrestleMania.

In a press release, TKO (WWE’s parent company) and Netflix added: ‘WWE’s award-winning documentaries, original series and forthcoming projects will also be available on Netflix internationally beginning in 2025.’

---

That's huge for my fellow UKers.

This sounds like their answer to what happen in the US with the Network. Everything moves to another service and they get handsomely paid for it (twice in this case: Peacock and now Netflix).

Tony Khan probably breathing a bit of a sigh of relief at that news. I don't really think WBD was gonna pony up, seeing as how they want to keep the NBA, but there's a part of me that thought WWE might've taken less just to dick over a competitor. If they weren't publicly traded, I think they might've. This does take a potential destination for AEW off the table. 

• Like 3

This makes a lot more sense than the Amazon rumors from a couple weeks back. But, as noted, Netflix’s ability to consistently pull off live broadcasts is a big question. They’ve got a year to figure it out, though.

Be interested to see if they finally kill the third hour, since the story on that has always been that it was USA’s demand. But Netflix loves engagement hours, so…

This feels bad for USA? If it isn’t the home of Raw, what is it exactly?

If TNT/TBS were to lose AEW, not a big deal, as Inside the NBA and other roundball things is their identity. 

Without WWE, I’m not sure what USA’s identity is other than being a completely fungible cable TV show and movie channel that you might tune into as background noise when Burn Notice reruns are on.

I get NBCU likely doesn’t give two shits about USA, but still.

• RIPPA pinned and featured this topic

The other thing non WWE thing that sucks is that I can't use the "I already had Peacock" card for these NFL playoff games.   Now I have to remember to cancel before the free trial.  Cause frankly I wasn't watching Peacock except the WWE 

30 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Tony Khan probably breathing a bit of a sigh of relief at that news. I don't really think WBD was gonna pony up, seeing as how they want to keep the NBA, but there's a part of me that thought WWE might've taken less just to dick over a competitor. If they weren't publicly traded, I think they might've. This does take a potential destination for AEW off the table. 

Good point.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The most interesting thing here is how streaming will affect production when it comes to things like match length/commercials/structuring where breaks used to be/etc.

Same here. I can tell I'm too into the wrestling bubble, as I was wondering how this will change ad revenues.

Yeah - for the sake of clarity

Also part of the deal, Netflix will become the primary home outside the United States for WWE shows like Raw, SmackDown and NXT in addition to premium live events, documentaries, and original series traditionally seen on WWE Network. That element also begins in 2025.

So for the folks (in the US) who think they can dump Peacock and still access the Network... I would rethink that plan (at least for now)

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The most interesting thing here is how streaming will affect production when it comes to things like match length/commercials/structuring where breaks used to be/etc.

Netflix has the ad-tier now and I would assume things would be similar for people on that. Maybe with fewer, or shorter breaks? How it will be for those on the premium tiers will be interesting.

• Like 1

BTW - as many people have been pointed out - there is a reason it is only being called "Raw" and not "Monday Night Raw" in the announcement.

Obviously it has been hinted at for awhile but there are no promises RAW will be on Mondays

53 minutes ago, EVA said:

This makes a lot more sense than the Amazon rumors from a couple weeks back. But, as noted, Netflix’s ability to consistently pull off live broadcasts is a big question. They’ve got a year to figure it out, though.

I think they've tried it with a couple of comedy specials being live, and they have that Nadal exhibition match airing live in early March. They've been slowly dipping their toe into sports and the live content space for about the last 18 months.