DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/17 - 1/23/2024 - Hooked on a Feeling

18 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

It has been a minute since I have been to St. Mark’s Place but it ain’t no hipster spot. It was sleazy cool in the 70s and 80s but even in the 90s it was more for suburban kids trying on bondage pants before going to see a Lookout Records pop-punk band than anything else. (Source: It me.) Last time I went, it was perfectly fine for what it is — a good comic shop, vintage clothing shops, falafel takeaway spots and carts and the like. I think you need to learn what a hipster is.

Perhaps.  I knew that general area in the early 00's as a hipster spot and I imagine it's only gotten moreso.  Hook living there for example

I tell you one thing about our boy Hook, that dude is the face of a generation. Now I live in NY too so I don’t know if it’s a regional thing, but every 17-24 year old I see looks exactly like that: same haircut, hoodie, long white socks, headphones. He nails it. Dude is this generation’s Hardy Boys dressing like Hot Topic in 1999.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I tell you one thing about our boy Hook, that dude is the face of a generation. Now I live in NY too so I don’t know if it’s a regional thing, but every 17-24 year old I see looks exactly like that: same haircut, hoodie, long white socks, headphones. He nails it. Dude is this generation’s Hardy Boys dressing like Hot Topic in 1999.

crazy thing for me is I was all that and a bag of chips 25 years ago.  whats old is new again

Hook looks like every dipshit high school athlete I saw at LA Fitness when I had membership. It’s a very current look. But he does not look like a guy who is listening to Bandsplained or going to retro indie sleaze nights. 

All the hipster stuff in early 00s New York was in Brooklyn. There are books written about this. LCD Soundsystem clones were not playing shows at the last dying days of Coney Island High or the other bar at the corner. That was more pop-punk and power-pop dorks playing in front of their friends. (Source: It me.)

Edited by Greggulator

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

Hook looks like every dipshit high school athlete I saw at LA Fitness when I had membership. It’s a very current look. But he does not look like a guy who is listening to Bandsplained or going to retro indie sleaze nights. 

All the hipster stuff in early 00s New York was in Brooklyn. There are books written about this. LCD Soundsystem clones were not playing shows at the last dying days of Coney Island High or the other bar at the corner. That was more pop-punk and power-pop dorks playing in front of their friends. (Source: It me.)

But… Hipster has been a somewhat derisive catch all term since it’s reemergence in, what, early aughts? It’s Beat connotation (or is there an earlier reference?) to having interest/knowledge/awareness of interesting or cool things (so to speak) has been replaced by it’s synonym for a sub section of ‘trendy’ often used by even trendier ppl than what they’re referencing, ha. Falafel, books, records, are a quick hipster tag if there’s anybody with striking fashion around. And things clearly changed a lot from the 90s to the 00s, the book I assume you’re referencing is ‘meet me in the bathroom’ which discusses this, but more the city as a whole. 

12 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Toni Storm is a goddamned treasure, during the commercial break she said that Deonna Purazzo had "A fat ass and a bad attitude. Just like Orson Welles."

Between that and saying that "Purrazzo sounds EYETALIAN" having Deonna around has breathed new life into the Timeless gimmick.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, worldcupfever said:

Between that and saying that "Purrazzo sounds EYETALIAN" having Deonna around has breathed new life into the Timeless gimmick.

Timeless Toni being prejudiced against Italians would be a pretty funny bit that they should absolutely not go within 100 miles of.

Her other line that killed me last night was "Whatever it is you're doing with your foot under the desk, please do it harder."

Ian Ricky Bones is a god-tier straight man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Surprised you enjoyed something so worked-shooty. Not trying to score points or anything, just happy to see you got something out of it. Not what I normally associate with your taste. 

It didn’t feel work-shooty to me. Like it touched on a few things outside of kayfabe but they used it to douche it up like quality heels. It wasn’t something like Punk blurring the lines with Adam Page referencing Colt Cabana. Was more within the grounds of kayfabe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Did they explain why Ian was doing commentary? Like I said, I was almost an hour late into the show. I'm always in favor of more Ian on commentary.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Timeless Toni being prejudiced against Italians would be a pretty funny bit that they should absolutely not go within 100 miles of.

Her other line that killed me last night was "Whatever it is you're doing with your foot under the desk, please do it harder."

Ian Ricky Bones is a god-tier straight man.

I thought she was trying to get  a rise out of Taz with that stuff

One thing I didn't care for on this show was a distraction belt shot in the opener followed them doing an attempted distraction belt shot in the six-man. Pet peeve of mine is AEW going back to the same well on the same show

• Like 1

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

My friend’s son has that exact hairstyle and it’s almost the same color. We always call him Hook, which his mother hates with a passion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I haven’t read any of the comments yet, but I’ve been looking forward to Joe vs Hook all week. I don’t think there’s another prospect in wrestling that excites me more than Hook does and Joe is one of the all time bests.

This may be hyperbole, I don’t know, but there isn’t a single wrestler for any of the last few generations that brings a big fight feel to a match like Joe does. There is a definite difference to the feel Joe brings to a match than anyone else does. I mean, Roman, MJF, Mox, Seth, Punk…none of those guys makes a match feel like a big time fight. Samoa Joe does. Look no further than Joe vs Brock.

So for this match, I don’t know if it was just Joe, the presentation, or what, but there was a palpable difference between this and every other title match and I loved it. I was on the edge of my seat that entire match. It ruled so fucking much. AEW’s track record of how challengers that lose title matches isn’t the best. The challenger just kinda fades away for a bit. Right now, Hook is a made man. You gotta capitalize on this someway somehow and make this the year of Hook and start building this kid up to win it all at the end of the year. Feel free to disagree, but wrestling needs someone like Hook. AEW needs someone like Hook. He stands out in the same way OC does. His look, aura, attitude, and style is entirely unique. 

• Like 10

Rest of the show was great. I can’t believe it has already been a year since Jay passed. I was crying a lot. Jay never getting the big run at the top of a major company is like one of those crimes in wrestling that promoters should look at to make sure never happens again. Like Hook, Jay had such a unique look, aura, and style to him that you can’t replicate and maybe that’s because he was a real motherfucker.

Christian vs Dustin was like the “DEAN~! Memorial This is Pro Wrestling Motherfuckers” match if I ever saw one.

TK is onto something with this quasi-face run for BCG. I’m hoping it leads to the unification of the Trios titles. It’s time to get them off of the Acclaimed.

Even though I know Roddy vs OC will be great, I’m really not feeling this Undisputed Kingdom run or faction. Part of that is the best Mike Bennett ever was was in TNA in the wedding angle. Taven is….basically the most OK wrestler in existence. Together they’re incredibly milquetoast. Imagine a world where fucking Roderick Strong of all people has more charisma and is more entertaining than almost everyone else in the faction.

Anna Jay looks like she’s back to cosplaying as Zatara and that’s ok with me. Deonna had a fine match with her and the post match angle was hilarious.

The Bucks interview. Ugh. Rarely have I been a fan of the character change into the “respect me for who I really am” thing. It also doesn’t help that Matt is usually all over the place in his interviews. Sometimes that works, other times it doesn’t.

So we’re trying to make Private Party a thing again. Coooool…

Finally, I can definitely get behind “Trent: Fed Up Shitkicker” If that’s his character change. Plus, Chucky sighting!!! Glad he’s on the mend. At some point this year, I’m hoping Trent and Chuck get fed up over being one of the last original teams and not getting the respect they deserve and finally winning AEW tag gold.

• Like 3

OH! Triple post, sorry. Toni getting both Deonna and Renee to break at the same time ruled. She’s on the level of Sami getting everyone to break. God help anyone that has promo segments against Toni. I hope they have nerves of steel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Let this show be a reminder that any time a company positioned Joe in the mid card in the last 20 years they were absolute fools. Half of why his RoH world title run was so legendary was how he carried himself as champ. No man in the US has been a better true ace of a company then Samoa Joe this century.

There’s a definite argument to be made that Samoa Joe has been the best and worst used wrestler in maybe history. Joe being champ again makes me think of this:

• Thanks 1

Dustin getting more tv time lately then having this great match with Christian made me want to see him as Sting's last opponent. Granted Sting probably couldn't do ten minutes solo even with Dustin and Dustin is far from an upper card guy but I just think it would really be fitting. According to Cagematch they've been on the same team 58 times but have never wrestled eachother.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If Cody never left, Sting/Darby vs. Cody/Dustin would have been perfect for Sting's last match. 

I assumed the same pretty much up until Cody left just based off of the interaction with Sting when he debuted - that had to have been leading to something.

22 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

do they ever mention why their ringside tables have a car spoiler tail on the front of them?

I always assumed it's to cut down on glare on the monitors from the ring lights. I don't think when the commentary table is near the entrance they have the shield up.

• Like 1

St. Mark’s in the 80s still had some Beat vibe to it, a great record store, the great comic store, dive bars, and head shops. West Village was where the bridge and tunnel crowd went. It helped that Alphabet City at that point was still pretty dangerous. By the mid-late 90s Alphabet City was getting gentrified and St. Mark’s got much nicer. Walked down it in December 2019 and it doesn’t have quite the cool of the 50s and 60s Beat era or the grime of the 70s and 80s punk junk.

Hook is actually getting really good at bumping and selling. I still think it’s too soon to have him get a run on the top but clearly he’s earning his way there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Finally, I can definitely get behind “Trent: Fed Up Shitkicker” If that’s his character change. Plus, Chucky sighting!!! Glad he’s on the mend. At some point this year, I’m hoping Trent and Chuck get fed up over being one of the last original teams and not getting the respect they deserve and finally winning AEW tag gold.

Trent/Chuck not having any gold at this point in the company's run is borderline criminal, i'd have even taken a trios run with OC.

• Like 8