DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/10 - 1/16/2024 - I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings

Samoa Joe as World Champion of a big company is awesome.  I saw nothing of his run as TNA champion (I’m not even 100 he was).  So I can’t state how well he did.

The potential he showed in ROH as their big G so planted the idea that WWE would be stupid not to scoop him up and monster heel him to the moon.  They did.  EVENTUALLY!  The big E run was pretty “OK” I guess.  At least he got to mix it up with Lesner a little bit. FWIW.

So top guy Joe is something I’ve waited a long time to see.  He fucking rules.  

Can I get a Joe Bomb?

BOOM!

Yes, I can.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

Samoa Joe as World Champion of a big company is awesome.  I saw nothing of his run as TNA champion (I’m not even 100 he was).  So I can’t state how well he did.

The potential he showed in ROH as their big G so planted the idea that WWE would be stupid not to scoop him up and monster heel him to the moon.  They did.  EVENTUALLY!  The big E run was pretty “OK” I guess.  At least he got to mix it up with Lesner a little bit. FWIW.

So top guy Joe is something I’ve waited a long time to see.  He fucking rules.  

Can I get a Joe Bomb?

BOOM!

Yes, I can.

The Joe/Lesnar feud gave us the awesome moment where Joe calmly threatened Paul Heyman with a smile on his face an then chokes him out.  Just a brilliant segment.  Really felt that Joe should've won the belt in that feud.  So happy to see him on top now with the same aura.

• Like 7

Jim Ross continues to be horrible.  Maybe the Sting match can be his last match, too.  

“Swerve reminds me of Ed Reed” is the new “Sammy reminds me of Gino Hernandez.”  He had to restrain himself from talking about Shida being just like Inoki and Aminata reminding him of Butch Reed.  

“Why is Swerve risking going to the top rope?!”  Did this bitter old turd ever criticize Bobby Eaton? What good does this type of commentary do anyone?

The best was Excalibur throwing it to Ross and all JR could add was spouting Hager’s height and weight before moving on to Hager’s footbaw background.  I swear he could be replaced by a soundboard or AI and nobody would know.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I’ll never forget the first time I saw Joe in person when he murdered Paul London in an ROH title defense in NJ, fucking godlike. I’ll also never forget being there in person when his reign ended against Aries.

• Like 5

The only time I saw Joe live was at the Chicago Reborn where he defended the world title against…Striker? I think that was his name? It was a shit dude in ROH with bad hair. My favorite memory of that match is Joe turning to our section because we, as well as everyone, were yelling out shit from Chappelle’s Show, and Joe goes, “Is Samoa Joe gonna have to choke a bitch?”

I don’t recall Joe being on the Thanksgiving Eve Dynamite I went to in 2022…

And the first match of his I saw period was an early early early ROH match. It was Samoa Joe vs Low Ki. At the time, it basically blew my mind. They had a ridiculous opening sequence that was likely choreographed but who cares because it fucking ruled and it looked great. It looked like something out of the Matrix. That turned me into an instant fan. It’s unfortunate he spent so much time in TNA, but what are you going to do when your other options were WWE where they wanted him to be Umaga and not cut promos, ROH which was in worse shape than TNA, NJPW which was in really rough shape but starting to to get better, or NOAH which was worse off than NJPW. He’d also be in total obscurity over in Japan so at least he got to build his legend in TNA. And now he’s at his rightful place at the top of a major company. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, tbarrie said:

So does every second in AEW have access to Jake Hagar's hat?

Can we be sure it's actually the same hat, or if they are all just fucking with him now that they know that he's not really over the hat yet, or really ever? They found an obvious weak spot and are cruelly and efficiently exploiting it?

Edited by Shartnado
add
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Craig H said:

WWE where they wanted him to be Umaga and not cut promos

What the fuck was wrong with this company? They wanted Sabu TO cut promos, and Joe NOT? Did they have to do everything natural backwards just to prove they can? It was Vince forcing his will on the world I suppose. Hopefully, some sanity can slowly start creeping back into the proceedings, though I'm sure it'll take awhile.

(edited for context)

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

Couldnt tell you off the top of my head if ive ever seen Joe. He might have worked one of the 2 ROH shows where I left early, may have worked one of the Hermie Sadler shows I saw in Hampton Roads, could have worked the TNA show when they ran Riplen Stadium in Aberdeen. Don't remember him ever working for Quack. Might need to do some research at wrestling data dot com. 

Are there anyone besides Swerve, Low-Ki and Balor? Balor manages to make it safe without full extension and Low-Ki... well, he probably just shoot stomps you. Swerve's "aiming for the shoulders, landing with both feet next to the head" just looks awful 99% of the time. But this is a guy who has a jumping kick backward to a seated opponent with a thigh slap as one of his finisher lead-ins/killshots (heh) so...

• Like 1

First time I saw Joe live was against Abyss on an IWA-MS show in ‘04. He knocks Abyss out of the ring next to us. I just sit there. Next thing I know, Joe is flying toward us. I moved probably as fast as I ever have. 

• Like 2

I saw the Joe/Kobashi/Homicide/Ki and Joe/Danielson/Kenta/Marufuji tags in person.  The common denominator is that my old brain can remember all the participants, but not who tagged with who.  😫

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Loved when they surrounded him and he got all expectant like "Is it time to goober-out yet? I'm waiting... I'm waiting... NOW!"

i thought for a brief second Jeff was gonna attack him from behind. I suspect that's where this is leading.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Are there anyone besides Swerve, Low-Ki and Balor? Balor manages to make it safe without full extension and Low-Ki... well, he probably just shoot stomps you. Swerve's "aiming for the shoulders, landing with both feet next to the head" just looks awful 99% of the time. But this is a guy who has a jumping kick backward to a seated opponent with a thigh slap as one of his finisher lead-ins/killshots (heh) so...

Spike Dudley used it in WWE I believe

I don't really get all the backlash for Sting against the Young Bucks as his last match. First of all I don't need a message board to tell me Sting picked his own opponents. Second of all honestly they are probably the best choice for doing a match where like half of it is non-physical bullshit that Sting can still do at 64. Thirdly it's an easy match writes itself where Darby plays Ricky Mordon for like 10 minutes and then you get the hot tag to Sting for the big finish.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:18 PM, Cobra Commander said:

any tag team ever execute a combination back rake/chest rake on an opponent or are some moves too dangerous for wrestling?

I know I've seen El Phantasmo be part of this,  I think it was with Ishimori.

I'm glad Joe has the belt, even if it's just to keep it warm for Swerve most likely.   Joe vs HOOK is going to be a big test for HOOK and whether he has something beyond the packaging. 

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:18 PM, The Idiot King said:

I don't love the Bucks, but also am realizing I 100% don't really care who Sting's final opponent(s) is/are, as long as it's not some kind of embarrassing Undertaker/Kane vs. HHH/Shawn Michaels fiasco. So, asking this in absolute good faith: Who would people, realistically, rather see him face?

Swerve and Brian Cage.

You've got Nana out there so Flair has something to do; hit Nana, strut and do the Swerve dance.  You've got the Gates so there's more bodies for Sting to land on safely.  And most importantly, Darby and Swerve should be in AEW's World Title picture sooner rather than later.

And Sting should win his last match.  Putting over the Bucks at this point accomplishes nothing.  Sting/Darby should've beat FTR for the Tag Titles at Wembley and then lost them to the Bucks at the next PPV.

• Like 1

I think there is a really good chance that Darby and sting won the match so Sting can pass the torch to Darby afterward by giving him the bat or trench coat or something similar. This could/should be the event that moves Darby into the top of the card for good

• Like 4

Samoa Joe should have beat Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship in their 2017 feud and AJ Styles for the WWE Championship in their 2018 feud. AJ Styles' year long WWE Championship reign was such a disappointment.

• Like 2