DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

A facepainted Japanese guy in the '80s as a babyface? Just how did that come about?

I recall seeing a random episode with Sunshine managing Kabuki. It was awhile back but IIRC he was basically used to combat whoever she was opposing at the time as like an equalizer. I think they probably didn't have anyone else for that role and just chose Kabuki. I don't think it lasted very long.

38 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Bob Backlund held the WWF Championship twice: Once for 2,135 days, and once for 3 days. 

Are there any similar/bigger gaps between two reigns that the same person has held with the same title that you can think of? 

I don't know how long Bret's first reign was but he did have a one day reign as well.

Flair's longest reign was about 2 years straight and he probably had a really short reign in death spiral era WCW 

Also Hogan's first run was about 4 years and then you have BATB 2000 and I think his final WWE run was about a month

• Like 1

So Sabu started doing the Leg Lariat into the corner off a chair, and Joey Styles called it Air Sabu. Then he went to AJPW, and Baba said don’t use a chair, so RVD started going on all fours to make it a tag move. OK.

Then the Hardys steal it for on telly, and either Jim Ross or Michael Cole names it Poetry in Motion (and nowadays it’s more Poetry in Slow Motion, but let’s not go there). But now the Hardys’ trios partner is Mark Briscoe. Noted Chicken Farmer Mark Briscoe.

Come on AEW, do the right thing here. Poultry in Motion. It’s right there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 15

9 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Also Hogan's first run was about 4 years and then you have BATB 2000 and I think his final WWE run was about a month

Was the BatB Hogan title change ever even counted in the lineage? I thought Russo sent that big bald bastard away with a big gold belt so that he could crown an actual next champion between Jarrett and Booker. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

A facepainted Japanese guy in the '80s as a babyface? Just how did that come about?

I think it was King Kong/Fay Wray, beauty tamed beast. I know eventually turned heel on her because of her making goo goo eyes at Cowboy Scott Casey. 

similar to the Dark Journey/Missing Link pairing in UWF. So prob Ken Mantell repeating himself. 

44 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I don't know how long Bret's first reign was but he did have a one day reign as well.

Flair's longest reign was about 2 years straight and he probably had a really short reign in death spiral era WCW 

Hogan's 4th run between beating Taker at This Tuesday in Texas and getting stripped due to shenanigans was only a few days at most...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think it was King Kong/Fay Wray, beauty tamed beast. I know eventually turned heel on her because of her making goo goo eyes at Cowboy Scott Casey. 

similar to the Dark Journey/Missing Link pairing in UWF. So prob Ken Mantell repeating himself. 

And that's why it's technically not shocking cause it was apparent that she's gonna find someone to go against Kabuki later on.

I was watching some episode of Georgia Championship Wrestling where Tommy Rich brings in Abdullah the Butcher as his mystery partner. The VERY NEXT WEEK the Long Riders (Scott and Bill Irwin) and Abby are beating Tommy Rich's ass in the studio. SHOCKER!

I'm reading the Brian Gewirtz book (more on that in the books thread when I finish it) and would you believe that..

Spoiler

1) Vince didn't know who Stephen Hawking was (when the idea of the Anonymous Raw GM having a Stephen Hawking-esque robot voice came up, in a series of events leading to Brian Gewirtz voicing the computer as Edge destroyed the laptop)

2) the idea of Hornswoggle being the Anonymous Raw GM was gonna involve him being Ernie Manfredini from New Jersey taking out his anger about how people treat him as a little person, and that they just aborted the thing instantly because Hornswoggle couldn't make this idea work

• Like 1

Vice is airing a commercial I guess for the next Dark Side episodes, but it just closes in on a suited figure sitting behind a table with his back to the camera and has a big '5' show up on the screen and then 'March'. Dibiase, Cornette and somebody else are heard in voiceover talking about somebody setting a ring on fire and somebody seeing giant spiders coming over a cage (?). 

5 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

Was the BatB Hogan title change ever even counted in the lineage? I thought Russo sent that big bald bastard away with a big gold belt so that he could crown an actual next champion between Jarrett and Booker. 

No, no lineage site nor WWE's site count teh BatB change.  Everything lists that Russo "reversed the decision and Jarrett retained", then Jarrett lost the belt to Booker in the main.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I recall seeing a random episode with Sunshine managing Kabuki. It was awhile back but IIRC he was basically used to combat whoever she was opposing at the time as like an equalizer. I think they probably didn't have anyone else for that role and just chose Kabuki. I don't think it lasted very long.

Kabuki turned back heel not long after this at the Cotton Bowl ‘85 show. He did a couple tours for AJPW and inexplicably came back in Spring 86 being managed by Michael Hayes before the Birds bolted to the UWF in May.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

To be fair, who wouldn't make eyes at Scott Casey?

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2024 at 1:06 PM, Infinit said:

Perfect time to post one of the most epic matches I ever read about in PWI as a kid:

Onita and Goto vs Sheik and Sabu in early 1992 in a poorly thought out fire match that devolved into chaos. Wild stuff.

Fuck yeah, "NOM NOMNOMNNOM!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, AxB said:

So Sabu started doing the Leg Lariat into the corner off a chair, and Joey Styles called it Air Sabu. Then he went to AJPW, and Baba said don’t use a chair, so RVD started going on all fours to make it a tag move. OK.

Then the Hardys steal it for on telly, and either Jim Ross or Michael Cole names it Poetry in Motion (and nowadays it’s more Poetry in Slow Motion, but let’s not go there). But now the Hardys’ trios partner is Mark Briscoe. Noted Chicken Farmer Mark Briscoe.

Come on AEW, do the right thing here. Poultry in Motion. It’s right there.

Guys, shut the thread down. @AxB won this month.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Saw this on Facebook 

What a bunch of goobers.

Probably best for him that he doesn't use the Brian Pillman Jr. name.

On 1/17/2024 at 3:18 PM, Zimbra said:

Imagine how he would say Aleksander Solzhenitsyn!

ANDRE......EL IGLOO

On 1/17/2024 at 5:22 PM, odessasteps said:

When did he start being billed as “from Lithuania”? When he turned face after Magnums accident or later? 

That was definitely during his 90/91 comeback

On 1/17/2024 at 7:23 PM, Curt McGirt said:

The Gary Hart talk made me have to pull up this lovely promo again. "Hey bro, what it is!" and "That's dirty, Brooks!" have been in my head for years now. Watching it again, however, you realize they're talking about Mike Von Erich's shoulder separation, which led to the toxic shock, which led to the coma, which led to the suicide. Yeesh. And the guy Gary would find to complete his trio? In the words of NWA Champion Mr. Harley Race, "............KABUKI!"

Oh man, I had to go find this one after they covered it on We Watch Wrestling.  Such a fun promo.

Unrelated, but the funniest line of the pd this week was Matt describing Stephanie Vaquer: "she's like Tessa Blanchard, but not racist."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Sit under the learning tree 

That was really fuckin cool. 

1. A classic profile feature that World Class was so good at pulling off

2. Hyped up the skills of the subjects

3. Educated people about martial arts with respect. Mercer underlining that it was a form of art at the end was a nice touch. Gary even called it "gung fu"! (Then again he also said "jujitso"... I guess it balances out)

Shame about Magic Dragon. Gary closes out the chapter of him in his book basically with "Dragon was on his way back to Japan. His airplane crashed and he died." and you're just like "oh shit" like someone sucker punched you. 

• Like 1