DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/15 - 11/21/2023 - Gears of War

Dolfan in NYC

Well, it's time for another Pay Per View!  But first...

Wednesday night we have The LIKE A DRAGON GAIDEN STREET FIGHT headlined by...

*checks notes* Wait... this can't be right. 

*checks again*  The... the same dude from like 20 years ago...?  

Okay. Sure, why not.  

(Massive Man lol.  Props for them not doing Giant Gig or Enormous Performance.)

((Actually, no wait... I like Enormous Performance more.  Use that.))

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The women's match on Dynamite is Red Velvet vs Skye Blue. Red vs Blue. In Southern California.

They had matches on Dark where one had red hair and the other blue so every time I see something like that this is first on the mind.  It a fun watch at the time when G4 was all that my friends and I were talking about.

Red_vs._Blue_logo.jpg

Also, I'm enjoying Like a Dragon Gaiden quite a bit more than expected so I'm very okay with what they're doing.  If anything the announcement last week got me to try the game on GamePass which is a first for me as I never played the Yakuza games before.

• Like 1

Things I remember from this episode of AEW Dynamite:

Moxley looks immense next to Cassidy and Hook. The BCC pretty much throttled OC/Hook there

Hangman and Swerve have a face to face where Hangman just slices up Swerve on the mic and then attacks Nana and the rules bar Swerve from doing anything about it (hey, why wouldn't a heel just bring an actual goon to the ring with those stips?). The stips were explained in a way where if you attacked the other guy, you could get him suspended too. The whole Swerve-verse is sorta tiring because he's good in the ring and the non-ring stuff is.... yeah.

Skye Blue wins and isn't evil yet. Julia Hart watches a monitor from the spooky zone.

Toni Storm and Mariah May get a segment.

Samoa Joe gets a squash match

Miro is mentioned on TV! Adam Cole has done the same segment on AEW TV for like 4 weeks in a row.

Penta and Komander hit a lot of cool offense. The Bucks kick them in the balls and win anyways.

The Gunns win in a squash. Wardlow gets a vignette.

Jericho looked weird in that suit. The Bucks are being blatant enough that i'm sure they won't go 100% heel

Big Show shows up, does a choke slam, goes off to fight in the back, and gets slammed on a car and is never seen again. Jericho looked ridiculous in his outfit when he didn't have sunglasses on. Ibushi swatting dudes with a pipe while riding bike is certainly a look. Ibushi flipbumps out of a bike a moment before the slam off a car. Powerhouse Hobbs can't break through duct tape somehow. Brian Cage eats the fall. Well, that was something. At least Jericho hasn't gotten his win back from Hobbs.

MJF talks to close out this show. Nah, we got a few minutes for Jay White to talk too. Then MJF gets beat down by Jay White's dudes. Yep, MJF goes over on Saturday Night.

Samoa Joe is standing~! to end the show.

I'm guessing the "respected by virtually every @AEW fan" line means that Tony Khan isn't announcing that Satan has signed with AEW to have a match with MJF.

So using my "how to predict 1998 WWF PPVs" formula to predict Full Gear: The winners will be MJF, Toni, Christian/Luchasaurus/Nick Wayne, Orange, Swerve, Bucks, Kris or Julia, no idea who has the momentum for the Tag Titles since I don't watch Collision, and MJF again.

• Like 3

- Super, super strong start with a wicked tag. Moxley punching Orange right in the back of the head and the temple in closeup on the stairs is how you begin a wrestling show! Wheeler has been MIA so I left him off my AEW 15 list I realize. Mox eats a wonky looking Orange punch which just pisses him off and sets it up to knock him out in their match later probably. Yuter pins the FTW Champion!!!

- Hangman comes in and drops the SHOOT BOMB on Swerve then says Nana uses bootleg shirt money to buy weed off college kids in the parking lot; Nana yells "I DIDN'T DO THAT!" 😄 Big pop for Hangman saying "I'm gonna steal your weed". And then he gets his ass kicked. Great segment fuming with hate. 

- Red Velvet tried hard but looks like she ain't ready to be back yet. That finish was a wet fart of a botch, especially. Skye post-mist is reminding me of Aubrey Plaza on Parks and Recreation. Who's her Chris Pratt in AEW? Kris, meanwhile, is clearly Leela from Futurama, especially when she was wearing the white wifebeater a couple weeks back. 

- Re: Toni, muffling the audio and adding crackles too with the B&W was inspired. For a second you couldn't understand a damn thing they were saying. That was funny tonight and so was Taz, who was being extra goofy: "Buckshot Jones", "Rancho Cucamonga Jones", "Loof-aaaa!" Spotfest was a spotfest. Bucks have receding hairlines but their own front row of teeny boppers? Rancho Cucamonga Jones indeed. I bet they'd take them back to their dressing rooms and pray with them.

- Camera is always good finding the one neckbeard in the crowd who is WAY into singing "Judas". Match was as goofy as Taz and real brutal when it wasn't. Until the tombstone onto the menu/chairs poor Paul took probably the worst bump. Old man doesn't make his way to the ring, they shuttle him outside only to smash his ass right on the hood of an SUV. Damn dude... Ibushi also dies on the floor while riding a bicycle then takes a brainbuster ON the bicycle. Even pasty-pale and out of shape to where he don't even have dem killer abs, he is still clearly insane. Kenny thankfully does not open a vein busting that bottle. In fact the only person who bleeds (except maaaaybe Jericho? Couldn't tell well) is Fletcher who does one of those weenie-ass scalp bladejobs so his precious baby-skin forehead isn't ruined. Wimp.

- MJF promo is an MJF promo and White still cannot work the mic. He always just has a breathless, one-note screed that ended here something like "You know that he knows that I know that they know that we know that you will breathe with the Switchblade". Okay...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This was a pretty good episode of Dynamite tonight. The opener was fun with Mox/Yuta vs. Orange/Hook. I liked how Cassidy and Hook jumped them in the crowd. Hook and Moxley had a good standoff in the ring which was fun. But i agree with the previous comment above about Moxley looking immense compared to both of them. I liked the ending with Hook taking the loss and Orange Cassidy on the floor looking like he didn't know what he's got himself into with Moxley. Moxley murders him on Sunday or we see the biggest upset ever in AEW.

I was expecting a little back and forth with Hangman and Swerve but instead we got Hangman just going nuclear on him with that promo. I'm hoping this death match is a bloody violent affair at the ppv. Hangman beating up Nana and Swerve not being able to stop it was hilarious. 

Red Velvet vs. Skye Blue was all right. They sure did give them a lot of time which is more than I would have. Don't know what happened the end with the botch of the Code Blue. Skye is always hit or miss with that move and tonight was a big miss.

Bucks vs. Penta/Komander was a fun match. I like The Bucks when they are just full on heels. Cheat to win. Great stuff.

The street fight was fun to watch. Nice to know Ibushi is officially All Elite. Gotta hand it to Paul Wight at this stage in his career with all of his injuries (I think he's had like 3 or 4 hip replacements) taking a bodyslam off and elevated position and onto the hood of a car. That was just nasty. Speaking of nasty, Ibushi is crazy for taking that tombstone off the ring and onto the chairs. But in the end the hired goon Brian Cage ends up eating the one winged angel and takes the loss.

MJF cut a good babyface promo and Switchblade Jay White cut a good heel promo in return. I thought for sure the devil would reveal himself somehow before they went off the air. I guess they are saving that for the end of the PPV.

But as I said, a pretty good show tonight.

• Like 6

This thread made me very confused. I watched the Knicks and then started watching Dynamite on the DVR. I'm like wtf are you people talking about? Then I realized that I wasn't home last week and am watching last weeks show!😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Opening tag was fun, surprised to see Hook take the fall.  Hangman was bringing the fire on the mic. I enjoyed Red vs Blue as a fan of both and liked that they got a decent amount of time.

the squashes were super quick tonight.  Bucks tag had some great stuff, nice finish after the "stereo yambags" as Taz put it .

the Like a Dragon Gaiden The Man Who Erased His Name Street Fight was epic as expected, loved it. the Paul Wight bump on the car looked absolutely wild. Ibushi officially welcome to the team! Loved the earlier bit of the faces all walking in wearing suits. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

Interesting that the Devil appeared at the end of the Wardlow video package. It’s going to end up being MJF or Cole, and either option sucks quite frankly. Let’s face it, the only really interesting option is Punk, and he’s not even an option based in reality. Cole is injured, so it’d be either drug out for months until he’s back, or someone like Britt is acting as a proxy for him. MJF is an even worse option than Jack Perry, and would negate months (a year?) worth of crowd reactions that turned him face because he’d be a heel again most likely. It just REALLY sucks that Punk blew up his spot, because this is literally a perfect re-entry for him. Unbeaten World Champion comes back to haunt the guy who has the title he never lost (and only ever beat Punk via cheating by way of Wardlow) and uses multiple catchphrases that Punk has used over the years. Goddamnit.

Anyway.

That street fight was real sloppy and a total shitshow. But in the best way possible. I love big stupid garbage matches like this, it’s one thing AEW does really well. I think for matches like these though, they need the split screen view. Ibushi is washed, why are we signing him again?

I really don’t care about this Elite drama shit, AGAIN, but I’ll be sucked back into it if the Bucks join up with Don Callis and their new Omega is Takeshita. Just keep Hangman far, far away from it. He’s outgrown the Elite. The truth is that the other three (four) guys are on the downside of their careers, whereas Hangman still has a lot left in terms of years.

Speaking of: that face to face with Hangman and Swerve makes me think Swerve wins and maybe goes on to win the Continental Classic? I mean, the point of Hangman building up a gimmick match winning streak would be to eventually lose to someone who needs that “rub”, right? Now is the time. Strap the rocket onto Swerve after this.

• Like 4

It's good to see most of the elite get back to the best versions of themselves. Fired up Hangman and whiny Bucks are where it's at.

The arena brawl was fun as usual. I thought they did a good job protecting Hobbs and definitely made Cage look a lot better than they had to with as much as it took put him down too. I loved Kota running in with the shovel after the pin and being like "Oh, we won?"

I like that they're putting some effort into explaining MJF's babyface tropes, particularly why he wants to be a fighting champion all of a sudden after years of doing as little as possible. One thing I'm very sure of, there's no way TK is doing a "higher power" angle where the devil is MJF. I'll admit I'm excited for the reveal, even if the most likely candidates are disappointing.

• Like 3