DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/15 - 11/21/2023 - Gears of War

Dolfan in NYC

15 hours ago, Shartnado said:

If his stuff in AEW was my first exposure to Ibushi, I would be very confused as to why people think he's good. He just seems so lackadaisical with everything. I don't know if it's injuries or ring rust or what, but he has not looked impressive in any of his AEW appearances.

I think we just need to accept that Ibushi's time as a top wrestler has come to an end and he's mostly just around to have fun with his longtime friend. I'm sure he'll still drop himself on his own head because it is hard wired into him, but I think it is better to approach him as a "hey, it's nice to see him" guy as opposed to a "can't wait to see his match" one moving forward.

I am this close to writing the same about Malakai Black as a singles, but I still have a shred of hope; I think I wrote the same about Keith Lee earlier this year. Just because some people go deep into their 40s without dropping off doesn't mean that everyone is going to.

• Like 3

Things I remember from tonight's episode of AEW Colli-page:

Hey it's all the wrestlers I haven't seen in months after Collision started because I haven't been watching Collision.

Guessing time slots are serious business so they couldn't have Rampage take hour 1 and Collision take hours 2/3 of tonight to evenly distribute the blow of going H2H with Smackdown.

Christian has some words for us all, Ric Flair is gonna be around for the six man tag tomorrow because yeah sure.

Trent winning the four way was a surprise to me because I didn't realize it was for a title shot until the match was over. Lots of spotz and dives and Brian Cage throwing small dudes around.

Miro beats Daniel Garcia. Hey, it's Lana (is she Lana here?). Hey it's Andrade. The rest of the gang is here.

Dax isn't Dax Harwood anymore but he has a nickname now? Dax vs Rush was a lot of fun. Chest blood. No finish. Survivor Series-a-riffic brawl afterwards. Also it'll be a ladder match because Tall William is big. Why does Collision have such a massive box on top of the commentators table?

Buddy and Yuta had a fun looking one. Brody King has a Samoan tribal chief level of body tattoos.

The Womens champs win in the main event as it looks like the final move didn't even touch Saraya

MJF has some words to end Collision

I was tempted to joke about moving the commentators table from Collision to Rampage.

Hey this is where Chris Jericho slums it on Friday nights

Christian Cage beats Trent despite Trent having TNT in his name

Toni Storm wins her match. So good luck using momentum to guess who'll win Toni/Shida (it'll be Toni, right?)

Eddie Kingston has some words for Jay Lethal in front of a photo of Paul McCartney.

Roddy has risen from his chair!

Don't show Werner Herzog how much the matches go through commercial breaks around here

Cool, worked mid-match neck injury after a spot where it looked like the guy with a fluffy mohawk dropped himself on his head instead of Roddy getting dropped. Roddy wins in the end. On replay, I guess Roddy was supposed to take the brunt of that.

Jay White talks to us too. So MJF finishes the B show and Jay White finishes the C show. Guess who's jobbing tomorrow! Nah, MJF jumps into the interview to attack Jay White but Juice runs in for the save so that MJF can't get his belt back yet.  MJF broke a TV behind closed doors. So we're getting a brawl in the ring now. Double leg takedowns for all! MJF takes another 4 on 1 so that Jay White keeps the belt.

Hey, I wonder if the guy who has taken 4 on 1 beatings twice in 3 days is gonna win tomorrow.

Hey, Samoa Joe is faster than he looks! So wonder if they just subtly told us who MJF's partner is gonna be in the ROH tag title match tomorrow on the preshow.

Kinda wild how there's a caste system for who is on what show and the fans are pretty much "yeah, we're gonna just keep watching Dynamite, thanks"

Yeah i'm not watching a countdown show to Full Gear after watching 3 hours of a countdown show to Full Gear.

• Like 1

Spoiler

- Tony's green suit! Lookin' sharp there, Schiavone. Christian is still the slimiest prick to pick up a mic. 

- Miro/Garcia is of course good. Miro with the Bela Lugosi hands was a hoot, as was him smashing Garcia's head into the mat to break the Sharpshooter. And of course, it ends with that great Basil Poledouris-style music of Miro's. Garcia in a feud with Daddy Magic is a couple... well, many rungs lower than where he should be, really; apologies to our Canuck friend. And a feud being over someone doing a dance move in the ring is frankly pathetic. 

- I didn't know the Boys hooted like they were on a rollercoaster during their matches. They were like dual Serpenticos here. 

- Spotfests just don't do it for me anymore. There was one good one in the four-way: the suplex over the top by Cage. Everything else was mildly botchy too, they even almost fucked the finish. It was good to see Trent? though.  

- Rush/Dax was a straight ass-beating, or more accurately chest-beating. Dax ends up getting the full Flair vs. Ronnie Garvin chest juice and Rush is purple before they finish too. Sometimes you just want to see some guys hit each other really really hard. This was a lot of that. The brawl after was nice too with the face-off between Brody and Bill being electric. If it wasn't for the damn ladder they probably would have just ran directly into each other and got a big pop, though. Speaking of which you're gonna have to explain to me how this match is gonna work. Four teams, tag in and out, ladder for the belt up top? Is this gonna end up tornado-style? It's a lot of bodies for a ladder match (though obviously WWE has set the mark with that previously). 

- Aw man you never get to hear Yuta's awesome music anymore! He acts like such a prick to Buddy, teasing him until Buddy gets pissed, pops him with a stiff forearm and headlock-takeovers him right into the barricade which I've never seen before. From then it's a pissing contest between two dick heels. Buddy gets forgotten about, really talented guy with absurd physique who's usually relegated to tags where the spookier and bigger partners overshadow him. Yuter lights him up with some STIFFFFFF elbows; the announce team says a tooth may have flown out but I didn't see. They have a really cool segment on the apron that ends with Yuta splashing Buddy on his face as he hangs through the ropes. Buddy has the strength advantage though and can kick -- and stomp -- like a mule. This is proof that you can make an engaging, hot heel vs. heel match, even in a total vacuum as an unannounced match in the middle of what is technically a three hour card. 

- This "who has a crush on Ruby" crap is so juvenile. It makes Tony look even worse at booking women. Though, I can totally see punk Ruby going for rockabilly greaser Ange and forming a "scene power couple". They would have a really bad band and be at every bar show. Nice people, but you know Ange probably has a Skrewdriver record in his collection, and maybe not just the first one that doesn't have any racist stuff on it; Ruby can barely play guitar but she has a full Marshall stack, as well as a kid from a prior relationship that she shares custody with a guy that has even more tattoos than her.

- Christian match was a Christian match. He never defends the belt but he could crank these smart little TV matches out in his sleep. Wish he'd do that more often.

- Jericho: "Luther has been training in butler school for many years" 😄 This was marred by a long commercial break. The two have very similar, broad and expressive kind of characters and it would have been nice to see a fuller match between them. You FITE people are lucky. So, we got TWO whole women's matches out of three hours. Well...

- Missed the whole Roddy vs. Andretti match. Apparently Roddy took a nasty bump off a Spanish Fly? Anyway, Juicey Boy getting trucked with a TV was kinda neat, and I was hoping MJF would just get away with the fucking belt already but no dice. What can you do. See y'all on the Discord for the show tomorrow?

This is a long one thus the spoilers. 

• Like 5

I was tempted to joke that Andretti was facing Roddy because I really didn't know who was facing Roddy. You see, I play music during shows and I don't actually do things like pay attention to graphics or commentary. I thought Andretti was in green the last time I saw him and I didn't see any green so..

So... uhm... does this dude who has a crush on Ruby Soho want to be 1995 Francine? are they gonna do a "dude is an obvious hanger-on to a women's wrestler" thing that would be a satire of all the women who only got on TV because of their wrestler husband/boyfriend/etc?

EDIT: I have sense found out that Ruby Soho is in a storyline with the most anonymous part of the Jericho Appreciation Society (Angelo Parker) 

Also I forgot that it was the Boys who got squashed by the HOB until reading that post.

Edited by Cobra Commander

14 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Eddie Kingston has some words for Jay Lethal in front of a photo of Paul McCartney.

Jarrett in those glasses made me think it was Will Ferrell from Eastbound and Down peeking over back there, but Will is probably tall enough to not have to do that.

I watched most of Collision tonight. Miss Miro/Garcia, but saw everything after that. The fourway was pretty good with the usual spots thrown around. I was surprised to see TRENT? win. But they havent really done anything with him in a while so might as well use him while you got him.

Rush vs. Dax was a good match. I was surprised to learn tomorrow is now a ladder match. I don't think it really needed that added stip, but should still be good. Rush is so good though and I got a good laugh when he confronted Ricky and Ricky was like "I can speak spanish too". I'm pulling for LFI to win tomorrow, but wouldn't be upset if Ricky and Big Bill retain.

Wheeler vs. Buddy was pretty good. Murphy needs more time to shine in matches like this and this match set up what should be a good one tomorrow with Murphy vs. Claudio.

Outcasts vs. Statlander and Shida was all right. I still think Saraya should not have lost the world title and we would be getting a much more interesting match with Toni Storm tomorrow. The romance angle with Ange and Ruby is amusing. I look forward to seeing how Saraya and Daddy Magic try to sabotage it.

MJF cut a nice promo as usual to end the show. I'm looking forward to him vs. White tomorrow.

Rampage was all right. The show is sometimes a let down, but tonight it wasn't. 

Christian vs. Trent was pretty good. Christian is the perfect TNT Champion and has great stooges in Wayne and Luchasaraus. 

Toni vs. Emi was all right. Loved everything about Toni's entrance and presentation. Luther adds a nice bit of elegance to her as the noble butler. 

Roddy vs. Andretti was pretty good. I cringed when the spanish fly spot happened though. So glad that it wasn't as bad as it appeared and he was able to get back up and finish things strong.

The closing angle of MJF attacking Jay White was good. I liked how he took out Juice and almost had The Gunns as well before the numbers caught up to him. Joe makes the save and it should be interesting how that tag match goes tomorrow. I can see Joe cleaning house only to leave MJF high and dry because he's getting his title shot now. No one said he had to finish the match.

Overall a solid night of action for the most part.

First some bad news. AEW's ticket woes are real. I had a ticket for the 200 section and was given a ticket for the 100 section even so I had most of my row to myself lots of empty seats facing the hard camera side and pockets of empty seats on the floor. Now in fairness the US of A runs on east coast time and this show had a bell time 4:30 on a Friday. even so it does feel like AEW needs to recalibrate what they are doing live event wise. We'll see if the attendance is better on Saturday 

Now a wise move was featuring so much Asian and Hispanic talent given the market. ROOOSH was crazy over, Danny Garcia was loved, Yuta got dueling "lets go Yuta / Yuta sucks" chants. And Penta in LA feels like what it must have been like to see Hogan in MSG in the 80's (he should have got the win in the four way, TNT match would have had way more heat)

Roddy got dropped right on his face and it didn't feel like and angle with Stephan immediately stopped what looked like a cover by AA, I was wondering if they cut away cause I could see on camera on the commentators 

Best match was the @Mattd special Serpentico vs Jack Cartwheel which was being filmed so who knows if it airs somewhere.

other dark match was Sonico getting his back broke by Hobbs

One thing about this Ruby angles is they literally just ran it with Max and Max

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ref made the decision to intervene on behalf of Roderick Strong so Andretti wins - of course, Strong could have bitched about it afterwards as per the above. But the reality is, you now arbitrarily get time to recover if the referee thinks you might be hurt off a move. Now either that is business exposing, or you have every heel clutching at their neck to avoid having the ref count the fall. Now, that is maybe where they go with this with Strong now but logically extrapolating you're basically not allowed to hurt your opponent *too* much. I'm not into it.

Where there's blood, I don't think it's quite as bad because yeah there's now a disincentive not to cut open your opponent which actually makes sense. But something like this should be a referee stoppage finish.

Edited by StretchMediatedHypertrophy
  • Like 1

@Curt McGirtCool Hand Ang needs to get some spiderweb elbow tats and some questionable neck ink if he’s going to be a true rockabilly bro.

I only caught Collision (long day here).

I said before that Miro doesn’t do a whole lot for me and that didn’t change. My wife was more interested in CJ. Garcia deserves better than a feud with Daddy Magic, although at least he’d probably get a win finally.

Four-way had more good dual spots with Penta and Komander, and glad to see Trent get a win. I do agree that, much as I dislike him, Penta should’ve gone over here.

Rush-Dax fucking ruled. Two of the stiffest, meanest in-ring dudes just going for it. That’s the kind of shit you get in AEW you won’t get on WWE. The aftermath was the second best thing I’ve seen to sell this PPV.

Yuta-Buddy fucking ruled. First time I’ve ever gotten into a Buddy match. Two dick hells just stiffing each other, getting their shit in, being pricks.

Womens match was not good. Soft, bad misses, slow.

If I’m forgetting something it’s because it was not memorable.

• Like 3

He's been coming out of the Giant Anus since his return to TV I believe. I rewatched the first two matches cause I missed the CJ promo (I thought they went to commercial and I WAS GETTING SOME RELIEF!) Noticed they didn't shoot above floor level.

Tony got a big chant before they went live and Aubrey got a chant during commercial break. Big "We want Rhonda/ NO we don't" chants during the ROH match  

• Like 2

I’m still working my way through Rampage but Miro vs Garcia, Dax vs RUSH, Yuta vs Matthews, and Christian vs Trent were all really good, with the RUSH and Christian matches better than good. And I still have Toni vs Emi ahead of me.

Almost all of these wouldn’t have existed in a “Dynamite Only” world.

Edit: Emi vs Toni and Andretti vs Strong were both pretty good too.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

On 11/16/2023 at 11:26 AM, Cobra Commander said:

If Jericho has a suit with nails all over it, why didn’t he wear that for a street fight.

Aside from the obvious reason that it would be a bitch to work a match in

Darby of course had a poncho with thumbtacks on it for a match before. Finish was Darby putting it on for the Coffin Drop.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

I’m still working my way through Rampage but Miro vs Garcia, Dax vs RUSH, Yuta vs Matthews, and Christian vs Trent were all really good, with the RUSH and Christian matches better than good. And I still have Toni vs Emi ahead of me.

Almost all of these wouldn’t have existed in a “Dynamite Only” world.

Edit: Emi vs Toni and Andretti vs Strong were both pretty good too.

If I had to cut one AEW show out of my viewing hands down it would be Dynamite