DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/15 - 11/21/2023 - Gears of War

Dolfan in NYC

Some dork somewhere on the internet is probably keeping track of how many people work on an AEW show per week but tonight was 24 wrestlers over 6 matches. 8 of them in the main event. 6 of them in squashes that went under 2 minutes combined. So there were 10 wrestlers in 3 matches and Skye Blue/Red Velvet was one of two singles matches for an entire 2 hours.

Just saying that tonight kinda felt like a light card, although statistically it probably wasn't a light card due to all the tag team matches and the streetfight. I guess the weekend shows get the real hard sell for the PPV?

Maybe it's just a thing where there are guys that work Dynamite every other week and this week's crew is what it was.

Sorry some of that came to mind when I read about how much time Skye Blue got. I mean... somebody needed to fill that time.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

That car bump was fucking ridiculous for anyone. Let alone a guy that age, size and retired. Doing the math, hes four years older now than Andre was when he died. The idea of Andre taking that bump in 1997 to pop a rating in the Monday Night Wars is amusing.

Someone should have told Sky Blue that they acknowledge she probably spent a lot of money on her new Scooby Doo ring gear but that it wasn't the time during this angle to be debuting it? Seems an odd one. Like Barry Windham wearing his old gear when he was the Stalker.

I hold out unrealistic hope that Punk is the devil (Wardlow almost certainly one of the masked guys during the Acclaimed beatdown). Assuming it'll be Britt Baker though. Although a Tony Khan reveal with a huge announcement teased for Dynamite with just "It was me Max, it was me all along" sounds like a Funtastic Trainwreck.

Loved the opening match. I enjoyed the story being told of Hook having this ridiculous talent to match with guys like Moxley, but lacking the experience to make it work. Real Anakin/Dooku stuff. Taz on commentary mentioning that the redrum had more effect than the Orange Punch was a nice tease. I'm looking forward to this because it could play out so many ways and all of them sound fun. Mox can steamroll him again andthe story continues to be Orange not being able to overcome this one monster. Does Hook become the guy to beat Mox? Does Orange eek out a victory and immediately regrets it? Does Hook challenge OC?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

It's amazing that on a team of consisting of both Tall Paul and Chris Jericho, that Kota seemed more washed than both of them. 

That man had no clue where he was for most of that match! On the Cross Slash he wanted around for ages kinda looking to Kenny for what to do, and then completely mistiming it. There was a sequence before the piledriver through the chairs where people kept running in and hitting a move before being hit by the next guy - I could hear both Kenny and Aubrey screaming for Ibushi to come in, but that handsome idiot just stayed in his own world. And then of course there's the ending where he comes running in weapon in hand with no clue that the match was over.

I'm not super familiar with Kota - is this normal for him, to be so completely oblivious to what's going on around him??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

It's amazing that on a team of consisting of both Tall Paul and Chris Jericho, that Kota seemed more washed than both of them. 

If his stuff in AEW was my first exposure to Ibushi, I would be very confused as to why people think he's good. He just seems so lackadaisical with everything. I don't know if it's injuries or ring rust or what, but he has not looked impressive in any of his AEW appearances.

• Like 4

Poor Ibushi, man. I don't know if it's just crappy luck, the long travel, or what, but if my only exposure to him was AEW TV I'd think he stunk. I find it interesting that he seemingly had a similar issue (be it a concussion or just poor positioning/timing) in Blood x Guts; maybe multi-man plunder matches just aren't his strong suit.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

That car bump was fucking ridiculous for anyone. Let alone a guy that age, size and retired. Doing the math, hes four years older now than Andre was when he died. The idea of Andre taking that bump in 1997 to pop a rating in the Monday Night Wars is amusing.

Here's another thing: it had to be tough for Hobbs too, because he was having to judge and regulate the fall of a treasured guy in the business, who also is big and heavy as shit and likely to be injured. Kind of like "how do I break the egg but not break it", you know? Everyone's life and safety is always in everyone's hands all the time in wrestling but that's still some extra pressure. It could be either "Paul Wight hip surgery #4" or "Paul Wight walks off with a sore ass". 

The funny thing to me with Ibushi this time was those light little touches he gave everybody with the roll of wrapping paper lead pipe as he was riding the bike around the ring. That was more business exposing than fighting a blow-up doll. 

Swerve being strapped to a rocket brings up the question of "who would you strap the rocket to if you had your say" or basically, who do you want to win the tournament? I'm going with Ricky 100%. He deserves it, and it might keep him from jumping ship. Tag straps aren't enough I think.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Jericho’s suit seemed more ridiculous to me at first because I forgot he was in that street fight and I thought he just hadn’t changed into his gear

I expected at least Kenny to come out suited up after seeing Jericho.  He and Ibushi coming out in gear made Jericho look even sillier.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

The sad thing about Ibushi is, multi-man ridiculous plunder matches ARE his strong suit.  Or at least was.

Eh, he did his best. I’m still waiting for him to bust out Roman candles.

Honestly though, Ibushi since returning to wrestling just looks like he’s pilled up, concussed, or something. He’s just totally out of it and on top of that he’s nowhere near the athlete he used to be.

I know Shibata is essentially all elite, but Ibushi would be better off if he just changed his style to be more like Shibata.

Edited by Craig H
  • Sad 1

Btw, here’s how I really rate street fights: If Dusty were alive and on commentary would he be laughing his ass off to the point he couldn’t get a word out. If the answer is yes then it ruled.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, and finally about the car bump…Chuck and Trent of all people said the things that suck the most are taking bumps on top of cars and that was what hurt the most in their parking lot brawl. So that had to extra suck for Show. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Wonder what the science says about sliding down a car hood as opposed to taking the slam on the top of the car or on the windshield

Science? Imagine a Twinkie approximately 35 feet long weighing 600 lbs.

• Haha 5

My thought is that if you’re old and fucked up and you’ve had multiple surgeries then any fall is going to be bad. Shit, Dusty basically died from a short fall from a step stool, right? I’m not saying this would have killed Show, but I’d be worried about his hip or whatever.