DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

I kinda want them to redo the Jimmy Rave obtain Ghana Citizenship with Brian Cage

As a boxing fan it always kills me when I watch an old fight and famed boxing cutman Chuck Bodak, possibly the whitest man in the history of time, would corner Azumah Nelson and come out decked head to goddamn toe in the colors of Ghana.

There is a 23andMe storyline in pro wrestling that finely walks the line between justified absurd and too ludicrous. If they let Marina Shafir come out dressed like Sad Girl from Mi Vida Loca, Brian Cage discovering his Ghanian roots would be acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Unless he physically broke something, his hip injury would be a big painful bruise, wouldn't it?

Apparently he dislocated his hip doing the elbow to the floor and had to have it popped back in during the match. 

Yikes.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As a boxing fan it always kills me when I watch an old fight and famed boxing cutman Chuck Bodak, possibly the whitest man in the history of time, would corner Azumah Nelson and come out decked head to goddamn toe in the colors of Ghana.

There is a 23andMe storyline in pro wrestling that finely walks the line between justified absurd and too ludicrous. If they let Marina Shafir come out dressed like Sad Girl from Mi Vida Loca, Brian Cage discovering his Ghanian roots would be acceptable.

So Cage becomes Akeem 2.0?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peck said:

Apparently he dislocated his hip doing the elbow to the floor and had to have it popped back in during the match. 

Yikes.

I do remember watching that and thinking, Mick Foley talked about what a bad idea it was doing that from the apron, and said the only reason it wasn't worse was that he had a big, flat ass. MJF's top rope version was a brave bit of improvisation, possibly or possibly not fuelled by fear that Swerve and Hangman had just upstaged him, but it was definitely very stupid.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right place for this; but seeing as it peripherally relates to AEW in the concrete and WWE in the abstract, I will post my question here. If this is a dumb question, apologies. What are the odds that AEW would come to terms with CM Punk without some kind of verbiage regarding a non-compete clause? Terminating him for cause implies not paying his contract, but would it not have been smart business to pay him a portion of his contract in exchange for agreeing to a non-compete? Knowledge of this non-compete would certainly temper the expectations of WWE fans in regards to a CM Punk appearance anytime in the near future.

7 hours ago, punkenhead said:

Not sure if this is the right place for this; but seeing as it peripherally relates to AEW in the concrete and WWE in the abstract, I will post my question here. If this is a dumb question, apologies. What are the odds that AEW would come to terms with CM Punk without some kind of verbiage regarding a non-compete clause? Terminating him for cause implies not paying his contract, but would it not have been smart business to pay him a portion of his contract in exchange for agreeing to a non-compete? Knowledge of this non-compete would certainly temper the expectations of WWE fans in regards to a CM Punk appearance anytime in the near future.

My man’s free and clear and going to TNA, let me have this 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

My favorite dude in AEW. Needs the rocket ship. 

I need Daddy Magic and Eddie Kingston to get into a personal issue.

Menard's ceiling as an in-ring performer is likely not a whole lot higher than where he's currently at. That said, there's a lot of upward mobile guys who could certainly benefit from his ability with the microphone. Off the top, Wardy comes to mind. But then again, what a treat it would be to get him back at the desk calling matches. I watched a lot of Dark matches I wouldn't have due to Dad Magic's color commentary. 

• Like 6

In regards to ongoings in another part of the Wrestling World on Saturday night. I've already been over how I think the entire didn't play out great here (and there's multiple reasons in my POV).. but... there's one big of upside to what happened.

The Divorce is final.

So, time for them to make some good TV matches out of a holiday season round-robin tournament and then we can complain over the reveal for the Devil angle at Nassau or whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

In regards to ongoings in another part of the Wrestling World on Saturday night. I've already been over how I think the entire didn't play out great here (and there's multiple reasons in my POV).. but... there's one big of upside to what happened.

The Divorce is final.

So, time for them to make some good TV matches out of a holiday season round-robin tournament and then we can complain over the reveal for the Devil angle at Nassau or whatever.

I don't think there's going to be a lot of complaining over the devil reveal. The only outrageous expectation was Punk and that's out the window. I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being Adam Cole while the masked assailants end up being Roderick Strong and the Kingdom. That'd be the best case scenario. The worst case scenario would be Jack Perry. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The only outrageous expectation was Punk and that's out the window

There’s probably several “that’s it?” scenarios in play here.

Not sure how this whole story would be working out if Adam Cole didn’t mess up his ankle. I think the injury happened before the ninjas showed up too.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't think there's going to be a lot of complaining over the devil reveal. The only outrageous expectation was Punk and that's out the window. I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being Adam Cole while the masked assailants end up being Roderick Strong and the Kingdom. That'd be the best case scenario. The worst case scenario would be Jack Perry. 

Best case is Cole, worst case is Jungle Boy, but the most interesting option is Britt Baker IMO. Opens up a lot of story possibilities. Is Cole in on it? If not, the love of his life is making his best friend’s life hell for (insert reasons here). Wardlow can be her heavy, maybe give her the Kingdom as lackeys. Roderick can stay with them, or turn babyface and join up with Cole & MJF or whatever.

But yeah Punk as the Devil was the best option - in my mind - and… uhhhhh… yeah.

Matt's promo style seems perfect for NJPW.

As for the Devil- I'd love it to be Hammerstone.  He's visually impressive enough to make a good first impression, there's the obvious history, and gives you a choice of goons.

Outside of Cole I don't think anyone in AEW would be a good Devil except possibly Hangman , and that's risking a lot to put Hangman in that role.

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 1