DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/18 - 10/24/2023 - Nick Wayne's Mom Has Got It Goin' On

Dolfan in NYC

Thought White-Penta was pretty good.  I'm always surprised what great shape Penta is in, the outfit obscures it.  He should wrestle without the top more often.

I watched the international feed so this might have been during a break but the announcers were definitely taking veiled shots at Kevin Kelly.  There was a "b team" mention and snickers

A fan yelled at Juice, "JUICE YOU'RE NOT A HIPPY ANYMORE??!?"

I didn't know what the "13 days" thing was in reference to, glad the announcers clarified it later on.  They've set up a lot of challengers for MJF now with Omega, Joe and Wardlow on top of Jay White.  Good stuff.

I'm also digging the build up to MJF teaming with the Acclaimed.  I didn't know about the social media stuff before they did the first angle a few weeks ago but I think it's played out fine on TV without that backstory (seen people complain about that).  The Acclaimed are goofballs with a "Daddy", Max having a mancrush on MJF isn't that ridiculous and fans seem to be into it.  They set up the Kingdom to get involved too in that pre-tape

Fletcher-Danielson was probably better but I dug KF and Kenny a lot.  Flip bump off the V-Trigger was great.  Callis stuff on commentary was good.  KF had a great bodyslam during the break.  He's still not very over but hopefully these matches will up his status

"kicking his opponent to the ring...."  Archer looked good, in good shape.  No Jake.  The two of them were one of my favorite parts of the first year or so of AEW.

Max had one of his better raps in a while

Daddy Magic is living the gimmick looking like one of those 80's WWF guys who take their foot off the gas when the money run is over and they're on job duty around the horn.  The gut on that man....

• Like 4

Least favorite moves in pro wrestling.

1. Panama Sunrise
2. Snapdragon. I hate that thing so much.

Spoiler

It's theoretically better because it's faster, but it's actually less so from a narrative point of view, but it actually looks deadlier and works along the same lines when it comes to the impact. It generally comes late in the match but is used in a hot back and forth finishing stretch and isn't a near-fall move, more of a set up for the next spot whether it's Omega or his opponent hitting it. It's just a massive short circuit. I think Omega does a lot of things well, but this is one of those "more is less, actually" data points that gives you a thread to unravel his whole act.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

Stuff I remember:

-God help me, I loved Penta being the most Penta he could possibly be.  It helps when the crowd is really into his bullshit.  And they are way into it; Tony missed a trick by not sticking more luchadors on the card.  I don't think Jay White has a lot of great control stuff but I do enjoy all his sneaky little cutoff spots.  They transitioned away from the quarters thing with MJF very elegantly.  

-If there's one thing Emi Sakura is going to do it's lean way the fuck into her opponent's offense.  The knee strike counter to the crossbody in the corner was great and painful looking.

-I spent most of Omega/Fletcher on my phone but it seemed like a fine sprint.  Fletcher has a really nice leg lariat.

-Archer getting announced as "now kicking his opponent to the ring" was great.  Love it when a guy shows up because it was driving distance from his house.

-They've gone way past the joke with the Toni Storm stuff.  

-Even by AEW standards that was a lackluster battle royal.  I am more invested in the implosion of the not-JAS than whatever else was going on. E: Also invested into Trent and Dustin hugging, can't forget about that.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I really don't know who has ever really benefitted from working a program with Adam Copeland?

Everyone either lost the program they worked with him (Rollins, AJ, Balor) or were already prominently featured on the card/over/didn't need the rub (Roman), or both. He put no-one over on his way out of WWE, and as entertaining as he is burying guys in promos, they're equally selfish (the Starks promo in particular). You could maybe make a case for solidifying Jeff's singles run at the top at best?

For all the (largely accurate) criticism of these things with Punk, Edge has far greater tenure and more opportunities to have done so. 

I'm struggling. Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle in 2002 with the Smackdown Six?

Edited by The Natural

9 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

really don't know who has ever really benefitted from working a program with Adam Copeland?

I sat with this one for a moment: as a single, probably Kurt Angle. The goofy wig shit really helped give his character another dimension (IIRC anyway). As tags? You could probably get away with putting damn near every WWF team from '99-'01.

Granted, its probably more supportive of your point than mine that I had to go back to friggin' middle school to pick some names, but like Taz, I digress..

As for the show, I thought this was a hella solid edition. @GordlowI thought of you during the Edge sit down, I'm glad you liked it! I was sitting there thinking to myself, like "Man, I'm digging this way too much, what am I missing?" I don't know if it's a skill she learned doing pods or when she was covering hockey or what, but Renee kicks ass at these. I won't be surprised if at some point a character *really* breaks out in one of these with her, like Goldust and Mankind did with Jim Ross in the late '90s.

And J.R.'s sit-down with the Waynes was good too, but it was DEFINITELY a little more rasslin' in tone with the "Son! Please!" - Christian, despite being a multi-time world champion there, was ironically the only thing that saved this from treading into TNA terrotory IMO.

Sting! My god, I hope Revolution is somewhere on the east coast, Id love to be in the house for his last one - he's always said he's not doing any singles matches, but I could see a 1v1 with Darby (not putting him down WHATSOEVER for this, but Darby's not exactly a huge guy - he might be built ideally for Sting to have a singles with without getting blown the fuck up immediately).

Apparently, I'm the kind of guy you want to play poker with, because despite not saying  word, I got an '...are you okay?' from my better half after that segment. I'm sure some of you will understand and are in the same boat: I am a massive WCW fan who thought I was never going to get to see Sting wrestle, and now I've gotten to see him wrestle 3 times (and appear with Darby a couple others) all within this last few years. I say this in all sincerity: I cannot thank AEW enough for giving him this run, and Sting for being up for it.

Obviously, I have no proof that this is the case, but I was absolutely over the moon to see that it seems TK used some attendance-improvement ideas we were recently discussing: frequent on-sale graphics, frequent references to both the building and city for next week, hyping guys who will be there even if they don't have a match lined up yet (You *will* see Hook and RVD in action!) - and on that note, I think the idea of using 'localized' big names (such as the aforementioned RVD in Philly, as well as his recent Collision bout in Michigan) could have some real legs. I just read apparently they moved 2100 extra tickets for last night once Mistico was announced for Rampage (because Texas) - so at least there's a bit of 'proof of concept' there. I'm real curious and excited to see if they can make it a winning formula in other cities.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That drippy-ass organic peanut butter, froufrou Trader Joe's jam, and expensive-looking bread cut by hand from an actual loaf, all made for a really unappealing PB&J.  Another reason to hate Adam Cole: he is a PB&J elitist.  If any ingredient in your PB&J comes from Whole Foods, you can fuck right off.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That drippy-ass organic peanut butter, froufrou Trader Joe's looking jam, and expensive-looking bread cut by hand from an actual loaf, all made for a really unappealing PB&J.  Another reason to hate Adam Cole: he is a PB&J elitist.  If any ingredient in your PB&J comes from Whole Foods, you can fuck right off.

Seriously, was he putting fig jam on his PB&J?  Unconscionable.

I did notice that Roddy's socks have his wife's face on them, which is pretty cute.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I don't think Jay White has a lot of great control stuff but I do enjoy all his sneaky little cutoff spots.

I think you've hit on why Jay is better as a tag team with Juice than on his own right now. Gonna rewatch White/Okada later to see how it holds up

23 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I think you've hit on why Jay is better as a tag team with Juice than on his own right now. Gonna rewatch White/Okada later to see how it holds up

Guessing the Wrestle Kingdom 17 match? I was disappointed by that. Kazuchika Okada is in my top ten greatest wrestlers of all time. Jay White is hit and miss with me. Mostly hits but clangers too.

32 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I don't think it's bad per se, mostly just different, but it takes some changing from the AEW house style that not everybody adjusts to.  At it's worst you end up with a Christopher Daniels my-turn-your-turn match.

• Like 1

I missed Dustin, Archer, Wardlow's old haircut, Miro, Danhausen... well, we only got Miro in a screencap but at least he's showing up later.

It's unreal how much heat Callis gets. Unfortunately our buddy Lard Lad is relegated to standing there like a bump on a log while Don and Hobbs soak up the boos. I mean, he's cool as a cucumber but give him something to do! 

It's also unreal how athletic Omega is. Springing up to the top for that Orihara moonsault was so fluid and effortless. I'm not a big Omega guy in general but that was a fine movez match. Fletcher does look all of 12 years old though. And speaking of underage, WHOA did Nick Wayne eat shit last night! That was nasty. 

Amusing that Hogan got booed but Flair didn't; you'd think more fans had seen the Plane Ride from Hell episode of Dark Side of the Ring. 

EDIT: Oh and Buff Bagwell getting name-dropped to no reaction was hilarious 😄 Didn't know him and Sting were so buddy-buddy. Flexi-Lexy was a bit of a surprise too but they had a lot of history. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Tony missed a trick by not sticking more luchadors on the card

One of the best WCW things was their insistence on bringing out a lucha six man even if they were in Cedar Rapids or some place where the only people have seen Lucha found it accidentally channel surfing

I know that they actually have to have visa stuff in order these days instead of sneaking guys into the country or working on tourist visas, but we need more random lucha car wrecks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Guessing the Wrestle Kingdom 17 match? I was disappointed by that. Kazuchika Okada is in my top ten greatest wrestlers of all time. Jay White is hit and miss with me. Mostly hits but clangers too.

That's the one. And I agree, not the greatest and about on par with what we've seen out of White in AEW singles matches too. Makes me think more of the heavy lifting in their title match will be on MJF

• Like 1

So I am looking forward to the weekend matches!

Rampage:

• Mistico vs Rocky: 2/3 falls! CMLL Trappings. This should be a blast. I'll be honest that I haven't seen a lot of 2023 Mistico but from what I've heard, this should deliver. It should also have a really different feel than a lot of lucha we see on AEW TV and really on US TV since the late 90s in general. I hope they lean in hard.
  • Skye Blue vs Ruby: Always a pretty solid pairing, here made more interesting by Ruby being adrift and Skye mid-character shift. They go in hard and aggressive and this should be good.
  • Silver vs Kassidy vs Sabian: What a weird match only possible in AEW. These guys are all entertaining and while I'm not necessarily excited for any of them to face Cassidy at this point, and I think Brother Zay is probably the most adrift guy in the whole company, at least it'll be something different and probably pretty entertaining.
  • Claudio and Yuta vs Bryan Keith and some other guy sounds pretty fun, let me tell you.

Collision

• DAVE BROWN! I can't wait to see what he thinks about, let's say, Eddie Kingston.
  • Kingston vs Jarrett: Again, this was my #2 choice for what to do with Jarrett in Memphis. (My #1 was vs Danielson where if Jarrett won, he'd get to pave over a local park to make a statue of himself and Danielson was defending the trees). I would have rather they did a deal where the Kingston vs Lethal match was already ending BotB but due to chicanery Jarrett got to soften him up to start Collision but this is good too. Can't wait.
  • Miro vs Andretti: This is going to be a glorious mauling.
  • Bill/Starks vs Claudio/Yuta: This will probably get a ton of time and will be a lot of fun.

BOTB

• Stat vs Willow: Obviously larger stories at play but the match itself should be a bit of a hoss-fight in its own way, strength vs strength with some impressive feats and things probably breaking down and getting heated.
  • Acclaimed vs Daddy Magic, Cool Hand Ang, Garcia: Speaking of bigger things at play, this will probably be the Garcia story coming to a head. I thought Menard was getting some real heat during the battle royal. So things are ready to boil over.
  • Cassidy vs (X). I read the spoilers and know who this is and while I'm not necessarily wanting this match over a lot of other things on the roster, they'll damn well have fun with it.

Just a very AEW series of shows. A lot of variety. Stuff that can't happen anywhere else. And it's not all that "Elite" pilled. I like every single wrestler announced or at least like them in the role they're being placed in.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

I’ve said Wardlow’s beyond hope, but if he jumps MJF and beats the piss out of him he could get his heat back pretty quick

It reminded me of like a heel inversion on the Sting-demanding-Hogan segments with JJ Dillon in the lead up to Starrcade - except instead of pointing to the fan sign with the bat, it was the name on the tape thing. I thought it was kinda cool, but I find it interesting he's seemingly going straight heel instead of it being a bit more shades of gray.

• Like 1