DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/18 - 10/24/2023 - Nick Wayne's Mom Has Got It Goin' On

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Tony K loves his new toys, and so Sexton is gonna be treated like the biggest deal on AESE TV for a while (and I truly hope the endgame isn't actually bringing in The Dudleys to do a 3-way ladder match redux).

Lordy, this was past its sell-by date when they did this in TNA a decade ago with the Hardys, Team 3D, and the Wolves. Doing it again at their age would be rough. And surely even Tony would have to realize bringing in Bully would set a new standard in terms of bringing in someone the fan base does not want. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Whenever I read “ducking,” I always assume someone’s phone auto-corrected “fucking.”

Which just makes this weird.

YOU LEAVE REX RYAN OUT OF THIS!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Things I Remember From The Second Hour of Tonight's Dynamite

I missed the first hour due to a mix of the cable being out due to a partial power outage, and also there was a period of time when they cut all the power to make sure the connections were good. So whatever happened before Fletcher/Omega, I didn't see almost all of it. I think the women's match was during a period of time when the power came on and they took it back down.

Anyways, Omega beats Fletcher. Chucky's in the front row

I'm not sure if I've seen Danhausen do any very evil things while in AEW

Lance Archer is back for some reason

Sting is retiring at Revolution 2024

Nick Wayne's mom sets him up to get ambushed by Darby

Gee we're starting this Battle Royal pretty late for a show without an overrun

There's some real "oh yeah, he's still around" guys in this match

We have two grey tabby kittens around here who are sisters and they spent most of the main event chasing each other around the room here. One of them has already gotten into wrestling with a larger male cat who is only 6 years older than her

MJF gets his belt back and then doesn't. Caster watches and then gets KOed.

Juice wins the Battle Royal. What a surprise. Let's hear it for the Juice.

MJF vs Juice next week for the ring.

We end the show at 5 after the hour, just like the old days of TBS.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2

Yeah man has anyone in wrestling cooled off more than Wardlow? This is like “Braun Stroman in that one Elimination Chamber to Braun Stroman just before he was released” levels of cooling off. Right now the dude just looks like the biggest jabronie in the world. Like Mark Jindrak is like “damn that’s a generic body guy right there”.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

you and I agree on things a pretty solid 99% of the time @Gordlowso I'm confident you won't be offended by me having to respectfully disagree on this one: this *is* kind of a bad week for the AEW= Sports Entertainment take with Emi/Shida and Fletcher/Omega also out on the buffet table ripe for the scoopin'. Obviously you're well within your rights not to dig the Copeland stuff, but there's also lots to get excited for -idk, maybe I'm just being overly positive for once

To be fair...

*Letterkenny gif*

Andy from Kansas' question (to which I was replying) was "How do you feel about Adam Copeland’s “Rated R Rebuttal”? And not "What is your take on this Dynamite/AEW as a whole?"

That being said, I was wrong anyway. That Edge segment was EXCELLENT. I will, despite myself, probably end up getting emotionally involved with the whole E&C reconciliation story, and the eventual retirement run.

Speaking of: Bryan and Sting both retiring...

Happy for them, sad for me (sad for us?)

I enjoyed damn near every moment of Dynamite this week. Except for Sting making me sad. Not sure I can say I enjoy being made sad. Sometimes, maybe.

I bet I enjoyed Blade vs Penta more than my wrestling buddy Paul did. I was NOT expecting a stiff chop exchange there!

Max ❤ Max!

NICE video package for Teacher vs Student. Lovely match, though I agree with Matt, Zen, etc that it would have been great if Emi won (and we got a rematch)

Edge:Christian::Wayne:Garth

Heel Suburban Dad Wardy vs Face Friedman could be excellent.

MJF has beef with Wardlow, Joe, Kenny, Juice, Blade... I like it! Multiple stories and stories crossing over is one way (two ways?) AEW clearly differentiates itself from WWE.

The Kingdom stuff still consistently makes me laugh.

Red Pants Powerhouse with Callis is good stuff. Maybe this is where Hobbs gets overly over and stays there.

I DEFINITELY enjoyed Fletch vs Omega more than my wrestling buddy Matt did. Nobody in my chat group made even a single joke during that match, which almost never happens. We were all quietly paying attention like a traditional Japanese crowd.

Archer looked great.

I love the shift to black and white for Timeless Toni. That seemed  like a relatively filthy joke for US network TV. Was that in PiP for y'all?

***insert buddy and nick pic here later***

BotB is this Saturday?!?! 

Stat vs Willow? I'm in!

Hook talking with his mouth full was enough to get a legit lol outa me. Him and RVD teaming should be fun!

I hope Hungie wins that 3-way match. Orange vs Silver is a natural rivalry.

That kick from Dustin was nuts.

Hatless Hager should team with Limitless Lee and Timeless Toni.

"DO THE DANCE!" chant. Huge pop. 😀

Max + Juice = Brian Cage. Foreshadowing!

wOg5gCb.jpg

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 9

If this was truly AESE or whatever the fuck 🙄, Wardlow would’ve been shot to the top of the card after steamrolling MJF that one time. But it’s not, and he can’t hang in the main event (back then, but especially now).

It’s how I honestly feel about others like Miro or Hobbs or Archer. They have a place, and it’s not the World title. I’m sure some (most?) won’t agree with me, but yeah.

Also I get that Emi Sakura has a rabid online fanbase but stop trying to make World Title contender Emi a thing. It’s not going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

If this was truly AESE or whatever the fuck 🙄, Wardlow would’ve been shot to the top of the card after steamrolling MJF that one time. But it’s not, and he can’t hang in the main event (back then, but especially now).

It’s how I honestly feel about others like Miro or Hobbs or Archer. They have a place, and it’s not the World title. I’m sure some (most?) won’t agree with me, but yeah.

It’s pretty bad. This current version of Wardlow and his Haas-Tier charisma make Miro and Hobbs look like prime Sid and Vader.

Not trying to pick on the dude but he went from “the slam dunk prospect we think WWE should trade Sasha for” to the other guy in the Master Blasters 

• Haha 1

Agreed Wardlow needs something. He came back out of nowhere as a face and underwent a gradual heel turn that was finalized tonight, that doesn't endear you to the crowd. Maybe now that he's full bad and has a mission there can be more to him

For anyone who didn't watch and is curious, there was no mention of quarters

• Like 3

I really don't know who has ever really benefitted from working a program with Adam Copeland?

Everyone either lost the program they worked with him (Rollins, AJ, Balor) or were already prominently featured on the card/over/didn't need the rub (Roman), or both. He put no-one over on his way out of WWE, and as entertaining as he is burying guys in promos, they're equally selfish (the Starks promo in particular). You could maybe make a case for solidifying Jeff's singles run at the top at best?

For all the (largely accurate) criticism of these things with Punk, Edge has far greater tenure and more opportunities to have done so. 

I thought this was an all right episode of Dynamite. I missed most of Jay White/Penta because I dosed off. Saw the finish and Juice knocking out Penta with the left hand of God.

I liked Copeland's promo about Christian. So he refuses to fight him no matter what. So I guess that will last until maybe Double or Nothing. Haven't Christian and him had a match before? I know it must have happened at some point. 

Emi vs. Shida was a really good match. I'm kinda sad that Saraya didn't retain last week because we would have got the match she and Emi kept fighting about on twitter. But this was a good one.

Fletcher vs. Omega was pretty good as well. I liked Callis on commentary building up Fletcher only to tear him down after he lost. HE SHOULD QUIT THE BUSINESS.

I'm sad that we are nearing the end of Crazy Old Man Sting. I mean yeah he's gonna be 65 next year, but it's been so much fun with him in AEW. I hope his retirement match is a good one.

The battle royal was kinda meh. I was pulling for Dustin to win or at least come down to the final three. Juice vs. MJF should be good next week. I see MJF finally losing the ring.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Haven't Christian and him had a match before? I know it must have happened at some point. 

They feuded in 2001. Don’t recall anyone responding to strongly to the matches, but neither were seasoned top singles back then. Cagematch has them in a Raw match in 2010. 2023 outside WWE should be different. But I’m mostly waiting for the tag matches. Get them to the Bucks, FTR, Bill/Starks, or any Bullet Club Gold combo ASAP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Toni Storm is a better actress than Mrs. Wayne, but they both deserve bath bombs, perfumes, and pearl necklaces…

Hide contents

I meant the jewelry.

While it is a Paramount film, I really hope they show Sunset Boulevard before or after an AEW show someday.

• Like 1

Jay/Pentagon a pretty great opener and thought Shida/Sakura was awesome.  Sakura blocking the first Katana and kicking out at one led to a great near fall after. Felt the Rated R Rebuttal was very well done in the sitdown environment.

Dug Wardlow just raising the wrist tape. "That says MJF!"  As mentioned, MJF with a truly 'everyone's gunning for the champ' deal going is excellent. Loved the little MJF/Omega interaction. Not sure they'll squeeze in a match between them within the 13 days but I like the setup. Speaking of Omega, he and Fletcher killed it, great match.

"ADAAAAAAM you know I hate CRUST!" classic.  Love seeing Lance Archer anytime even if never lasts or leads to anything.  Sad that Sting will finally be retiring for real this time. Battle royal was decent with an inevitable ending. 

• Like 2