DVDVR Message Board

So what'd you get for the holidays, Murgatroyd?

Pete

From my wife and kids, I got a birthday(nov.30th) /Christmas present, a PS3 that came with a full year of PS+ and Uncharted 3 and I received GTA 4 complete edition, WWE 2k14, MLB The Show 13, and NCAA 14. 

We usually don't have the money to buy each other gifts but wife was in a minor accident in early Sept. and received a $750 payout for pain and suffering from it. 

Update!

20 dollar Wal-mart gift card, 25 dollar gas card for SUNOCO, socks, underwear, a pair of shorts, 50 bucks in cash, a giant thing of cashews (YES YES YES) and, strangely, a gigantic Duck Dynasty chocolate bar (?)

So far...

Godzilla Criterion(just in time for the Movie Club!)

So jealous.  Almost bought the blu-ray the other day.  Sure, I have the American Dud on three different dvds, and two copies of the original Japanese cut (bought it when it was first released, and then that Godzilla collection box set...) but CRITERION and BLU-RAY and must spend money...

Won't get anything from my wife as our funds went to an iPad Air for her (my choice) and our Hawaii trip in March.

From my folks, I got a 1980 USA hockey road jersey, the style they were wearing when they won the gold medal. They had previously given me the home white version worn during the Miracle on Ice game.

• Like 2

Won't get anything from my wife as our funds went to an iPad Air for her (my choice) and our Hawaii trip in March.

From my folks, I got a 1980 USA hockey road jersey, the style they were wearing when they won the gold medal. They had previously given me the home white version worn during the Miracle on Ice game.

Holy fuck, I want that jersey.

Holy fuck, I want that jersey.
They make two versions of these jerseys. This is the better version. They run big so order one size small:

http://www.sportsk.com/usa19prje.html

They are awesome, BTW.

A case of Belgian beer (Tripel Karmeliet) plus two glasses, a first-edition (!) copy of Ralph Waldo Emerson's The Conduct of Life, a couple of hardcover editions of my favourite books (to substitute paperbacks in my nascent library), and a joint present with the missus to go on a two-week trip to Iceland.

Round 2:

Royal Tenenbaums Blu-Ray

The massive fucking Alien Blu-Ray set that is blowing my mind(also...just in time for Movie Club!)

The Filmmaker's Eye: Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition (

Sister-in-law got us Drinking Buddies on blu-ray, which I've never seen, but some of it was shot at Revolution Brewing where I drink at every week, and it has Anna Kendrick with Joe Swanberg directing, so I think I'll dig it.

The Ol' Christmas Bonus from ma and pa - will probably go towards a new TV.

One more round later today. It's been a pretty fucking nice holiday. 

the wife got me a bottle of booze and a wii luigi controller. bless her heart, she knows me so well.

the in-laws got me a couple giftcards for home improvements.

we also got a couple of obscure vinyl records from local bands from the late 70s/early 80s, as well as the digital conversion of said albums. it's really awesome.

Dallas Cowboy Snuggie and lounging paunts.

Let's be honest Dean - we are all friends - they are really just pants now.

Back in the day, we called them "Zubaz".

I finally got a copy of Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2nd Gig, one of the series that I was missing for my collection.  I also got a Bloom County collection book (Classics of Western Literature), a nice pair of work gloves, some Cubs apparel, some cash and gift cards, a ton of food, and two growlers of beer from a local brewery.

My wife and son got a Kindle Fire HD that they'll share, so that was the big thing in our house this morning.

My girlfriend got me a PS3 and a copy of Ni No Kuni. Looking forward to another year (or 3) of use out of last gen stuff I haven't played.

No No Kuni is the prettiest game I've ever played. Its childish aspects can irritate but I still got over 100 hours and a platinum trophy out of it. Great game. Get the Uncharted games and Assassin's Creed 2 after that. And sign up for PS+ - you'll be glad you did.

I got some socks, a heavy cotton fleece shirt that's awesome, two insulated shirts, a jacket vest, a Charleston Chew, a 25 dollar gift card to SmashBurger, a bottle of Jaeger, and my first Christmas off from work in seven years. I got to see my 3 year old nephew have his first Christmas morning where he understands who Santa Claus is and that he was here last night. (I provided the plate with half eaten cookies and a glass with milk residue for him to find this morning.) Seeing him light up as he opened his Cars "Doc Hudson" toy that Santa managed to find on E Bay was the best gift I can think of.

Have a Very Jerry Christmas, Everyone!

santajerry_n_zps58541732.jpg

(And a Happy Bob Weir.)

• Like 1

Sister-in-law got us Drinking Buddies on blu-ray, which I've never seen, but some of it was shot at Revolution Brewing where I drink at every week, and it has Anna Kendrick with Joe Swanberg directing, so I think I'll dig it.

It's pretty fun.  Seems like everyone's a bit uncomfortable with the whole improvised dialogue thing early on, but they settle down and get into it.  Never thought I'd see Ti West and Olivia Wilde sharing a scene, but it's in there.  And watch for the Swanberg cameo.

On topic, my family doesn't exchange gifts, but my girlfriend got me a dvd of A Late Quartet and a book on Michael Haneke.