DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars

The Natural

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

Try not running the same markets over and over again

I don't think it's just that they go to a lot of the same locations .  A lot of the scheduling seems to be nonsensical, such as running a Collision in Seattle the night before a big PPV in the same city. 

• Like 1

I think one of the issues is they go to a really cool market to climax the Hangman Saga but a certain lil Octopus’s due date was pretty close to that, then a year later they go back to the same market and Quake the fuck out of the Lake so hard and so good, then when they go back for the third year we get no announced Quaking and I don’t have another son. What the fuck, Tony. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think it's just that they go to a lot of the same locations .  A lot of the scheduling seems to be nonsensical, such as running a Collision in Seattle the night before a big PPV in the same city. 

Don’t they sell package tickets though? And it’s got to be easier than trying to break everything down and move it overnight, plus the travel wear on the talent.

47 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Full gear is in LA, rampage/collision is the night before same building, dynamite is in Ontario, ca. I would imagine that’s just logistics. WWE would try to hit three cities in a market when you had PPV, Raw , house show

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Full gear is in LA, rampage/collision is the night before same building, dynamite is in Ontario, ca. I would imagine that’s just logistics. WWE would try to hit three cities in a market when you had PPV, Raw , house show

But that's WWE.  There's a larger pool of fans to pull from in whatever location they are in.  AEW wasn't having issues selling tickets like this until more recently so I don't even think it's just overall burnout.  They are cold right now and I don't know exactly why that is. 

18 hours ago, Octopus said:

I think one of the issues is they go to a really cool market to climax the Hangman Saga but a certain lil Octopus’s due date was pretty close to that, then a year later they go back to the same market and Quake the fuck out of the Lake so hard and so good, then when they go back for the third year we get no announced Quaking and I don’t have another son. What the fuck, Tony. 

Sounds like a you problem... time to fire up the Barry White

• Haha 2

I think something overlooked is that AEW is basically also running about twice as many shows as they used to thanks to Collision, so unless you have a red hot product it is only natural that each individual one is likely to draw less on average than they were back when there were half as many.

• Like 2

You have to wonder how much of MIKE Santana and Ortiz's points/the feelings behind them were a shoot. We really haven't been told anything about their personal differences. This could be them agreeing to work with each other while being totally honest for all we know. 

Emi is so completely Joshi: Loud, stiff, mocking. She reminds me as if Oz was in the promotion. Skye gets pretty loud too so it's a good match. Emi takes the whole of it but slips on a banana peel, it works. The Skye heel turn is gonna be a slow one. 

Willie vs. Joe tomorrow! Hell yeah. 

• Like 2

Opening trios was fine, interested to see where they go with Garcia.

I couldn’t really get into Lethal-Trent, not sure why. Tony calling Karen an “evil bitch” was fucked up.

Anytime we get Queen Emi is a treat. I would’ve liked 5 more minutes of that match. They did not have Skye’s spin enziguiri so that was a plus. Code Blue was super smooth. Announcers were really putting Skye over.

Wheeler Yuta as a bump machine to get over Gates of Agony was a great strategy, announcers were losing their shit. It might be a little out of character but it would be awesome if they had Wheeler and Claudio dress like Wolverine and Colossus for the Collision episode before Halloween. I’d like to see them get a tag run.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

While I'm throwing out ideas, I'm only through the six-man so far but I think they should (for the short/medium term before a turn) put Garcia with Swerve so he can dance with Nana leading to a face turn when he gets too over.

Now you got me picturing a time travelling match between Garcia and Jimmy Rave and how that would've ruled the motherfuckin' world.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Peck said:

"That Karen Jarrett is an evil bitch."

"Jesus, Tony..."

I laughed.

I laughed again when Paul Wight seriously stated that the ring steps weighed around 200 pounds. 

1. Yeah, even JR uses the coded "Jezebel"

2. Hey, Paul Wight is one of only two men to be in an actual stairs match on a ppv with stairs in the title, he has to be a definitive authority on the subject.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

I think the move for tonight is to have Jungle Boy come back to help Christian win. I don't know what you do after that for the PPV. Maybe Christian/Perry vs Danielson/Copeland or maybe two singles matches.

We were just talking about this at my house during Saturday Afternoon Rampage, and we kinda came to the concensus that it's gotta be some permutation of Edge/Sting/Darby vs Christian/Luchasaurus/Wayne - but that Jungle Jack idea is too f'n good to pass up. I'd be way into adding he and Danielson to the mix for a 4v4.

And on that note, I really liked Rampage this week, maybe more than Dynamite. I wish Emi/Skye got more time but they had a pretty good one. The opener was fun, and like @JLowe I'm also intrigued by the possibilities for the future of the Garcia/Hager/2.0 group without Jericho (also kudos to them, specifically Dad Magic for what I thought was perhaps the promo of the week for their segment w Renee).

I liked the match but I'll also admit I might've set my expectations a little too high for Lethal/Trent - one thing I'll say, man it is impossible not to smile at the mere sight of the Lethal/Jarretts/Dutt/Singh Total Nonstop Memphis troupe of bullshit. Remember that "______ is Pro Wrestling" thing from here like 15 or 20 years ago? They are for sure, 💯 pro-wrestling.

Edit: Also, shout out to not only the return of THE GIANT to the booth, but for him helping me feel better about myself by making the same 'Daniel Bryanson' mistake I also make constantly.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Peck said:

I laughed again when Paul Wight seriously stated that the ring steps weighed around 200 pounds. 

We use those aluminum plates quite a bit at work. I don't know how thick the ones they use are, but I'll guess 3-5mm. My best guess I'd say somewhere between 15 and 25 kg depending on how thick, which is what, 30-50 pounds? 

55 minutes ago, (BP) said:

It doesn’t get much better than the main event, but the ending fell flat for me. I knew there’d be a run-in, but I really want Starks and Danielson to move on from each other. 

Great match in Christian Cage vs. Bryan Danielson even though you know that going in. You also knew there would be interference and not a clean finish. I hoped we'd be done with Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks even though the strap match is a MOTYC and the Texas Death Match was really good too.

Bryan Danielson has to be the biggest name to sign for AEW from WWE and never win an AEW Championship, right? Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley, CM Punk, Christian Cage, the late great Mr Brodie Lee, Cody and Miro all have. Claudio Castagnoli won the ROH Championship. Bryan Danielson is so selfless, he has the worst record in AEW World Championship matches ever. I don't think he'll ever hold that title. Not sure he'll win any.

• Like 1