DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 10/2 - 10/8/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Life in the fastlane... surely make you lose your mind...

On tap this week, the WWE's next premium live event and the filling out of the card thereof...

And tonight!   We get Tegan Nox vs. Becky Lynch for the NXT title!   

Bracket for the Women's Breakout Tournament in the first spoiler box, speculation below.

Spoiler

nxt-womens-breakout-2023-bracket-v0-94f4

Spoiler

Jordan/Vice still makes sense as a final; Dame and Palmer probably not winning their quarters (OTOH, she will probably make Lola look very good. )

Petrovic/Parker is a total tossup, but I think Petrovic/Vice is more exciting as the right-side semi.

Jackson probably gets through with Meta-Four interference, and Kelani reverses same to win her semi?

• Like 1

See I'm gonna be the odd vote and say that I thought Gunther/Ciampa underdelivered. Gunther/Walter always ends up having to wrestle from underneath more than he should against Ciampa and while that worked in the context of their NXT match (where Ciampa was a former champ and not a lot of people were watching NXT UK) it stuck out like a sore thumb here where Gunther is the longest reigning IC champ of all time and Ciampa is basically an undercarder.

So was the crowd doing the lights on their phones the new form of the wave to show their displeasure/boredom? I thought Gunther/Ciampa was all right. It started off very slow and took forever to get going. The ending was a bit awkward where he just dropped him and the referee ruled he was ko'ed. 

Stupid USA had to go off at 11 on the nose for that dumb Chucky press conference video that lasts a minute. DIY needed 10 more seconds to hit their move on the air.

Alpha Academy vs. Imperium was pretty solid.

Cedric/Reed was a decent competitive squash. Was good to see Cedric get in so much offense before the flattening. 

Woods/Ivar was good though a step down from that great match Kofi and Ivar pulled a few weeks back.

Chelsea/Nox was fine.

The whole Miz/Drew segment/match was kind of fun. 

The Seth/Nakamura segment went a bit long during Seth's firing portion but was good all around. Once again it will be a shame when Nakamura loses Saturday. He has been tremendous during this feud, and even Seth is doing some of his better promo/character work in WWE.

It feels I was watching a different Ciampa/Gunther match from others here as I thought it was pretty damn awesome. It was way more of what I expected from their NXT match years ago with Ciampa having to work his way up and create an opening to really take control in the later stages. Even then Gunther felt super dangerous trying to chop Ciampa down through the pain and having the occasional explosive counter. The finish was superb as well. I was pleasantly surprised how much they got the crowd into everything as it eventually became the hottest match tonight. I only wish USA didn't cut off the DIY reunion at the very end.

3 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

Bracket for the Women's Breakout Tournament in the first spoiler box, speculation below.

Reveal hidden contents

nxt-womens-breakout-2023-bracket-v0-94f4

Reveal hidden contents

Jordan/Vice still makes sense as a final; Dame and Palmer probably not winning their quarters (OTOH, she will probably make Lola look very good. )

Petrovic/Parker is a total tossup, but I think Petrovic/Vice is more exciting as the right-side semi.

Jackson probably gets through with Meta-Four interference, and Kelani reverses same to win her semi?

I'm surprised at the reaction I'm seeing online to this, which is pretty universally that Lola has it in the bag. Yes, Lola is over to the people in the NXT arena, but Kelani is the one who management has a rocket strapped to. The speed she went from LVL Up debut to NXT featured storyline (working with a main roster performer no less) is pretty much unparalleled. And then when Dana got released they pivoted and had her working with a veteran like Blair at a PLE (pre-show, but still).

5 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

I'm surprised at the reaction I'm seeing online to this, which is pretty universally that Lola has it in the bag. Yes, Lola is over to the people in the NXT arena, but Kelani is the one who management has a rocket strapped to. The speed she went from LVL Up debut to NXT featured storyline (working with a main roster performer no less) is pretty much unparalleled. And then when Dana got released they pivoted and had her working with a veteran like Blair at a PLE (pre-show, but still).

I'm not that clear on a winner, but I understand why the buzz trends towards Vice.

- she has a clear ally in Elektra Lopez who's been established as decent at cheating

- she's got another front-runner (babyface, adrift since Sol's injury) in her first match (who can make her look good)

- MMA in WWE has been positioned as generally above singlular martial arts, and she's had significantly more screen time than Petrovic

- I think she was the one to announce the tournament, giving her a primacy bias

- even though Lola's still in very broad strokes, we have less of a sense of who Kelani is (and a loss would give her more to work with as a character)

- if the endgame is a shot at Becky, a villain might get more out of that than a generally friendly cipher, but that's a lot more debatable?

OC’s big run against the wildest array of opponents makes him the free TV Wrestler of the Year. But I will not bat an eye if you were to say Gunther. He’s had off the top of my head three great Raw matches — Tomasso last night, KO earlier in the year and the Chad Gable masterpiece that was one of the best Raw matches of all-time.

I go with OC because Gunther’s bangers came against two guys I think are the absolute tops (KO and Gable) and a guy I don’t love but is very good in Ciampa. Whereas OC put on perfect matches against the weirdest motley collection of opponents in’ Kip Sabian, Lee Moriarity, Yuta Wheeler, Jeff Jarrett and Big Bill. 

But hot damn a 15-20 minute Gunther match is a guaranteed keeper. 

• Like 2

I think the difference is Gunther's opponents were made better in defeat and the only person who got over in OC's run of matches was OC. KO was reinvigorated and Gable and Ciampa were elevated in their Raw matches but Sabian and Moriarty disappeared while Yuta, Jarrett, and Bill were either the same standing or slightly worse off after their matches with Cassidy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The opening segment with Becky setting up the triple threat was fine. Its nice to see Indi doing something again.

Butch/Bate vs. Gallus was good. Post match brawl was fun. I'm all for Strong Style Brutes vs. Gallus.

The Trick/Ilja/Melo segment was solid even if it made the end a bit more obvious.

Indi vs. Lyra vs. Roxanne was good. None of these three have styles that really mesh, but they managed to make it work surprisingly well with everyone generally looking nice. 

Blair/Gigi was solid. Finish worked well, and I dug Blair's attitude post match. 

Kelani/Izzi was another solid match. First time seeing Dame, and she seems like a pretty solid hand so far. She and Kelani worked rather well together. Leaves me looking forward to the rest of the tournament sans for maybe Grace.

Thea/Jacy vs. Elektra/Lola was solid. Was interesting seeing Jacy bring Chae and Duke along. I continue to dig the relationship between Thea and Jacy. 

Trick/Dom was good once again. I'm torn on Dom becoming champ again. It kind of had to happen with the setup, but its still sad to see Trick's first title reign cut short. Hopefully he wins an eventual rematch and gets a real reign.

Cena and Heyman coming down to second Melo vs. Bron III is an interesting choice. I assume this about loading up the show both due to AEW and probably still hoping to entice someone to pick NXT tv up once the USA contract ends. Cody coming in actually excites me since it means there is a good chance he announces this year's Dusty Cup. I figured that was coming eventually with his coming back to WWE.

I assumed that they were going to repeat the Cora Jade heel turn thing only with Carmelo as their way to put the title back on Dom.  Nope it was worse idea. 

It really feels like Trick winning was a HBK/Triple H idea and Trick losing it two days later was a Vince "they did what this weekend?  Fuck that" idea.  

Also am I missing something about NXT week.  Is AEW running a show on Tuesday?  Is NXT running shows on Wednesday?   I can't imagine they are worried about the MLB playoffs that this is so needed

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

It really feels like Trick winning was a HBK/Triple H idea and Trick losing it two days later was a Vince "they did what this weekend?  Fuck that" idea.  

Keep in mind Trick was not even supposed to be wrestling at No Mercy. I think they went with a title change to award Trick's progress and provide a bit of a surprise to fans, but they also aren't really ready for Dom's NXT run to end, at least not before shit truly starts break down with Judgement Day. I think there is a high chance Trick wins it back at Deadline. 

I mean, wrestling history is littered with times the announced match fell through so a replacement was sent out and the face surprisingly won to send the fan home happy. I'd wager a lot of them gave that win back within the next few shows as well, especially with a belt on the line.

• Like 2